Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy Steering Servo Horn.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Default Buggy Steering Servo Horn.

Hi all, need servey/ know what servo horn that you use on your buggy steering. You use plastic or aluminium? Mine look like the horn strip from servo when I bang to tire.........lastly found that the servo horn strip. I try to hole the servo horn and turn the wheel and I can feel it strip. I also may suspect I using wrong type/ different brand servo horn and it can't fit smoothly. Before get new I need advise from you guy which is recommaded, plastic or aluminium. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

better stick with the plastic horn meant for that model of servo. Better the horn strip than the servo gear IMO.

I have plastic horns on all my servos and never stripped any of them before.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by devious17
better stick with the plastic horn meant for that model of servo. Better the horn strip than the servo gear IMO.

I have plastic horns on all my servos and never stripped any of them before.
Hi, thanks for the reply. May I know that for my case the horn strip mean I use wrong type of horn? If same brand it should easy with little force, right? MAy I know the cost for one pcs is how much? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

there is a universal fitting horns but I would suggest to get horns meant for specific make to ensure good fit instead of using adaptors from the universal horns. How much? I have no idea ,you will have to check it out from your LHS
Old 08-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

there is a universal fitting horns but I would suggest to get horns meant for specific make to ensure good fit instead of using adaptors from the universal horns. How much? I have no idea ,you will have to check it out from your LHS
Thanks for your reply again. Ok, I get same brand horn...
Old 08-07-2007, 03:22 AM
JSA
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tkhoo
Hi all, need servey/ know what servo horn that you use on your buggy steering. You use plastic or aluminium? Mine look like the horn strip from servo when I bang to tire.........lastly found that the servo horn strip. I try to hole the servo horn and turn the wheel and I can feel it strip. I also may suspect I using wrong type/ different brand servo horn and it can't fit smoothly. Before get new I need advise from you guy which is recommaded, plastic or aluminium. Thanks.
if you have a high torque servo, its recommend to use full aluminium servo horn, Aluminium stronger then plastic but wouldn't kill your servo gear. This was recommended by my friends in Taiwan
Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JSA
if you have a high torque servo, its recommend to use full aluminium servo horn, Aluminium stronger then plastic but wouldn't kill your servo gear. This was recommended by my friends in Taiwan
Hi JSA, may I know your shop got fully aluminium horn for hitec servo? I am using high torque servo which is 645MG. This is for my buggy steering. Pm me the price.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Imagine this, your buggy takes a hard landing and your sevo saver maxed out thus transfering the force of impact to your metal servo arm, metal to metal has better grip than metal to plastic.

When the force of impact hits and transfers to the servo arm do you think your metal gear wont be affected somehow or another?

With plastic arm the impact would have a better chance of striping the 'teeth' or deformation of the servo arm but preserving the servo.

The only plus point with an alloy arm is its heat dissipation values but weights more than plastic for sure.

That is why cars these days have crumple zones to protect it's occupant.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:15 AM
JSA
Tech Elite

nothing wrong on your teoritical points........ but experience have proven for us to use the aluminium horn is better than plastic......horn=alu. but gear made by hard metal.

when impact 2x or 3x greater than the servo torque then only will strip the horn 1st then the gear

we always recommend to use Acer servo 1015, the best high torque servo in the market.......................

tkhoo,

we don't have the alu horn for hitec but for KO/Sanwa and futaba only.........
Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

hmmm......your practical experience is peculiar, you saying the aluminium horn is softer comparing to plastic? Please teach me, O experienced master.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

hmmm......your practical experience is peculiar, you saying the aluminium horn is softer comparing to plastic? Please teach me, O experienced master.
Hi devious17, I think JSA mean aluminium are stronger then plastic horn but aluminum are weaker then servo gear. So don't scare the servo gear will strip when using aluminium horn. The aluminium horn will stip 1st compare with servo gear.

But I need to know most race driver is running plastic or aluminium horn? thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm no race driver, but i'm using plastic horn. and, isn't the servo saver suppose to do the job? by preventing gears strip?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Depends on how much money you have in your wallet I guess.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JSA
nothing wrong on your teoritical points........ but experience have proven for us to use the aluminium horn is better than plastic......horn=alu. but gear made by hard metal.

when impact 2x or 3x greater than the servo torque then only will strip the horn 1st then the gear

we always recommend to use Acer servo 1015, the best high torque servo in the market.......................

tkhoo,

we don't have the alu horn for hitec but for KO/Sanwa and futaba only.........
Master JSA...could u pls PM me the price of that acer 1015 servo...
Acer or Ace Racing Master JSA ?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:08 AM
JSA
Tech Elite

What we say is the aluminium horn is softer then the metal gear in your servo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.