Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saint Louis Carpet Racing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Allen's

Anybody have the results from Allen's this weekend?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default RUBBER TIRE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, what a great time this weekend at Allen's RC in Springfield. Kevin showed all of us how fast rubber tires are. 8 second laps!!!! how much fun was that. But i have to admit that all of us from St. Louis gave the locals a run for their money Larry & Mark just a turn off a 1-2 finish in the A main. Speaking for all of us we are hooked on the rubber tire madness.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I also did enjoy the rubber racing...I just wish that I could have had a clean qualifier, so that I could have been there with Larry and Mark instead of the dreaded "BQ".
We went to this race with open minds saying that we would give the rubber tire thing a chance... I believe that I am speaking for all 7 of us that went, when I say that we left with a new excitement for carpet racing!
It is true that the traction is not the same, but with the right set-up and body, we found that it is very close and very drivable. There was pleanty of traction including several traction rolls (not me for a change!).
So why the excitement, you ask? We all came home with the same set of 4 tires that we bought for $32 when we walked in the door, that are ready to be raced for at least another 4 weeks!!
If we had run foams we would have bought 2 sets of 4 tires at $72 for single stage or $84 for 2 stage, and maybe come home with enough tires for a practice run or two next week... if you were lucky enough to not chunk them or break a wheel!!
For me that is a major selling point for converting to rubber tires. It may not be the fastest form of racing on carpet, but it is a hell of alot cheaper and I think that equates to more racers showing up at the track. There are alot of racers that came out this year and had fun but did not return because of the cost of tires needed to stay competative. There are many kids out there with touring cars that we need to show up to secure the future of our track who could make it almost an entire season on a set of tires if they wanted to!
How many times did you guy's buy a new set of tires, spend the time to true all of that expensive rubber off of them, set the car down, and then within a couple of laps come back and throw away your broken wheel? Or at least superglue a wheel and look for a tire chunk to glue back in on a tire that would never work the same? I know it happend to me many times!!
Chris, I know this is your track and I have heard you say that rubber tires wear more on the track, but I wonder if the extra wear would be worth the extra entries that I believe we would pick up?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At the Carpet Nat's, Drew finished 2nd in Stock TC and Stock 1/12th and he finished 8th in 19T TC.
Congrats Drew, on your TQ and great finishes!!

Race results from Allen's http://www.allensrccars.com/march_madness_2006.htm

Last edited by smac; 03-20-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Great racing guys. Its was fun running with you guys and you all did great for your first time with rubber. Almost 25 entries in the rubber class and all mains for the most part were very clean and very fun. A little rubbin' in the A main but for the most part it was good, hard racing which made it fun and very competitive. Sorry again to Mark for the contact on the last lap of the 3rd heat. Glad it didn't knock you out of the A; I felt bad enough as it was. The whole deal caught me off guard as I didn't expect to catch you that quick in that turn. I think our lines mismatched at the wrong time. Hopefully I made up for it by racing you clean in the A... that was definitely fun.

Thanks Larry for working with me during the 3rd heat. I fubared a few turns after you let me by and lmost ruined it for both of us. You took it easy on me and I appreciate it. Good run in the main. Was a good fight at the end. Gotta watch that sweeper and the end of the straight

As for lap times, there WERE a few 7 second laps turned this weekend And FWIW, it was done on 2 month old tires. I put on a new set Sunday morning like everyone else and went slower. Tinkered with the car through the first two heats and for the third heat went back to the old set and went back into the 7 second bracket. Probably could have readjusted the car for the new tires, but the old tires had plenty of bite (obviously) and it was easier to just change tires... New tires do fall off in bite after 3 - 4 races, but still hold up well especially if you learn how to dope them. The main thing is keep track of the tire pulling off the rim. Reglue every so often and you can definitely get a month or two out of them while staying competitive.

Again great racing everyone. Congrats Tommy Dale for finally pulling out a TC win this year. Probably got drunk Sunday night and skipped work today... A main results are below. I don't have the rest, but Allen is working on getting them up on the webiste today or tomorrow. Hope to see you all back up here soon, or at least this time next year. I think we'll try and make a trip down there later, especially if you guys do decide to go rubber.

A Main
1. Tommy Dale 36 laps 5:07.591 3rd
2. Larry Stone 36 laps 5:08.325 4th
3. Chris Shearburn 35 laps 5:01.789 TQ
4. Mark Guebert 35 laps 5:02.185 5th
5. Lee Mendenhall 34 laps 5:06.620 6th
6. Kevin Bottoms 11 laps 1:40.743 2nd
Old 03-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

man, what great racing on saturday!!! that a-main was probably the best race i've ever seen. i have never had so much fun being a corner marshal. i didn't get to see the C main, but i think in the A and B main 4 of 6 cars were on the lead lap and within striking distance of the leader. who'd think that one of the most fun races i have run was in a B main. go figure.

the fact that you guys were on rubber for the first time, on a new track and driving the opposite direction than s. rox and still challenged for the lead in each of the mains is amazing. larry, thanks for the t2 set up help, between that and tommy dale's gearing help i turned a personal best time.

i'm really glad that you guys made it up to springfield and that you guys had a good time, i am excited to see the new outdoor track (this on road thing might be growing on me).

scott
Old 03-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (98%+)

First I wanna say "Thank You" to the guys at Allens RC for a great day of racing and sportsmanship. Allen has a first class track and crew to run the show!

I was really impressed with the performance of the rubber tires. What was more suprising was that I actually needed more steering. The car with a basic T2 rubber tire setup was planted. I only made two changes and was able to turn a fast lap of 8.09 only a tenth or two off the fastest guy ( Chris Shearburn ) I'm looking forward to a rematch with the local fast guys! We had an exciting main. I believe there were a total of 4 or 5 lead changes! Thanks for the clean racing! Sorry to Chris who was chasing me down and ended up suffering from my tight line mistake. Congrats to Tommy who secured first place on the last lap. Hope you had a cold one d(_) to celebrate your win. I did In fact all the STL guys did

Of course who could forget mister ToddB 1st place finish. I've never seen a guy get so excited to win the D. It was however his first victory in touring car and we were all happy to see him win. Alan H. did a great job of putting the heat on Todd and made him work for the win. Nice drive to both of you.

rccars4scott - AKA Scott - Glad to see your doing so well in touring car. There were remarks in our pit as to how well you've progressed since the last time we raced together. This race was really challenging for our STL group. Thanks for all your help and info on the rubber tire scene.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Lightbulb race

Good to hear U all had a good time I did as well and hope to see u all soon the best part about rubber is that U will learn how to get all U can out of your car ! 1 other thing is,at the novak Race the traction is so good your tires look NEW i ran 1 set for 3days !!!!! u will never do that with foam as U know ...LMK when U guys run rubber @ your track and I will come down also LMK when U want to come back ...Kevin
Old 03-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

I was just geeting ready to buy more foams... should i hold off?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

There is not much I can add to what has already been said... But I will admit to being skeptical about rubber tires myself. But I also went up there to keep an open mind. I could not beleive the traction I had, I was running a parma alpha and still was looking to free up the car. The best way I can describe it is that the racing felt more realistic than on foams. It definitely was less work, once the car was setup there was no more ride height, droop, or gearing changes. Which as everyone knows is a routine you have to do after every foam tire run, no more truing foams.

I had a blast, just wish I hadn't dorked it on the last lap arghhhhh

I would also vote to rubber tires. This is the second track I have been to in recent weeks that runs rubber on carpet and both track owners were questioned about carpet wear, both stated it is not a issue. So maybe we could give it a try. One other thing, Scotty at trackside told me when they made the decision to allow the rubber tires, their attendance tripled. He said that was what saved TC racing at his track. Hmmmm????
Old 03-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

good job drew...looks like your getting 1 step closer every race man...its coming .... ...i did have fun racing rubber..had fun traveling and racing with a new group...but,as much fun as i had...and as much as i completly see how rubber can change a club track....i dont really see my self changing over any time soon...foam is where the racing is..all the nats...regionals..etc etc ...i personally wouldnt want to race rubber every week,then travel to a bigger race and run foam, i would rather RACE with foam...and have fun with rubber everynow and then..at least indoor....even though im not the fastest...and im not hitting huge races...i race to race...to be a "racer"..im not sure how that sounds...i just mean...racing for only fun...TO ME...is not alot different than just playing in a parking lot bashing around .....but ...i did have alot of fun at allens....i will go back..i just wish i would of qualified better...the 1st 2 rounds for me just sucked..the car was way off....got things alot better for the 3rd...and killed that run with 2 very long laps....was ona 34 5.02 pace for all but maybe the 1st and last 4 laps....but yeah anyway...allens is fun...i like ther scoreing system with the bug read out you can see laps on..and in the print outs is shows your pace/position changes every lap....my ONLY complaint...is the rubber pipes in the turns...you rub them you stick or flip over...flappers or somthing slick would be alot better...IMO....thats all...whens everyone hitting roxanna???
Old 03-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Well guys after reading everyones post, me and Dave have decided that we will try the rubber tires till the end of April, for a trial run. If everything goes well who knows, we might just allow them all the time. And of course by then we should have the asphalt down, for some real rubber racing!

Also what are the popular nitro sedans that will be ran this summer , some stock suggestions like parts that break, things that wear, tires, engines, plugs???

Speaking of tires, When we run the rubber tires I was wanting to keeping it to the cs-27's. Unless these won't work, of course.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Boy does this open up a can of worms for me!

1-What rubber tires do I get?
2-What wheels do I get?
3-What set up changes do I make to my FK05?
4-Do you sauce the tires?
5-Do you still use Paragon?
6-Will there still be a foam class?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Default tire

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
Well guys after reading everyones post, me and Dave have decided that we will try the rubber tires till the end of April, for a trial run. If everything goes well who knows, we might just allow them all the time. And of course by then we should have the asphalt down, for some real rubber racing!

Also what are the popular nitro sedans that will be ran this summer , some stock suggestions like parts that break, things that wear, tires, engines, plugs???

Speaking of tires, When we run the rubber tires I was wanting to keeping it to the cs-27's. Unless these won't work, of course.
for indoor carpet CS 27's is the tire for outdorr it will be the 32 or 27 depending on the TEMP
Old 03-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Post U

Originally Posted by BiggAlz
good job drew...looks like your getting 1 step closer every race man...its coming .... ...i did have fun racing rubber..had fun traveling and racing with a new group...but,as much fun as i had...and as much as i completly see how rubber can change a club track....i dont really see my self changing over any time soon...foam is where the racing is..all the nats...regionals..etc etc ...i personally wouldnt want to race rubber every week,then travel to a bigger race and run foam, i would rather RACE with foam...and have fun with rubber everynow and then..at least indoor....even though im not the fastest...and im not hitting huge races...i race to race...to be a "racer"..im not sure how that sounds...i just mean...racing for only fun...TO ME...is not alot different than just playing in a parking lot bashing around .....but ...i did have alot of fun at allens....i will go back..i just wish i would of qualified better...the 1st 2 rounds for me just sucked..the car was way off....got things alot better for the 3rd...and killed that run with 2 very long laps....was ona 34 5.02 pace for all but maybe the 1st and last 4 laps....but yeah anyway...allens is fun...i like ther scoreing system with the bug read out you can see laps on..and in the print outs is shows your pace/position changes every lap....my ONLY complaint...is the rubber pipes in the turns...you rub them you stick or flip over...flappers or somthing slick would be alot better...IMO....thats all...whens everyone hitting roxanna???
Come to the 1 motor 1 tire race @ the end of April at Trackside Trinity CO/CS27's....True Foam is where the fast guy's are but trust me the PRO's run rubber as well the thing is that all Makers Corally,xray etc want their CAR to WIN no matter what class because it sells there car...What I do is run both Foam and Rubber let me when U gonna run I will make it down for some foam..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.