Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Kansas/Missouri Racing
Comments on opinions and on-line manners >

Comments on opinions and on-line manners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on opinions and on-line manners

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Comments on opinions and on-line manners

Opinions-

There's no shortage of them.Some seem crazy,some brilliant.Some can create completely opposite reactions from one person to the next,or none at all.There is a common idea that it is one's right to have an opinion,and that once expressed as an opinion it is sacrosanct,inviolable,above reproach,simply because it is an opinion or stated to be "just my opinion".It is our right to have an opinion,and since they are in our mind it can't be stopped anyway.It is also our right to express our opinion in a free and open society.But as always,rights and freedoms come with responsibilities because expressing your opinion will generate reactions which can have consequences.Once you express your opinion you are responsible for it-you own it.It becomes a subject for debate.Once you post it on-line you make it public and therefore open to debate.It is EQUALLY anothers right to question your opinion as it is yours to express it-or the right to state an opinion is of no value when outright slander can 'hide behind the skirt' of "it's my opinion".If you are willing to express your opinion you must also be prepared to answer for it-to give proof,or offer observations,or impressions that lead you to your conclusion.You also must be ready to accept that you may be wrong!!! You don't have to admit it,no one can make you.You can stand by it to the bitter end-and you may have to to prove yourself right.And you don't have to be right-it's ok to be wrong until you refuse to learn from it.But when you refuse to answer for your opinions-you lose your right to express them.Rights and responsibilities.To say otherwise is the equivalent to saying that it's ok for me to hit you first,as I please-but not ok for you to hit me back,block the punch,or ask why.Without debate,opinions are not only worthless-they're useless.Asking questions is how we learn.Giving details of how you came to your conclusions is how you make others understand your point and bring them to your side.Answering the questions of others may show you variables that you overlooked,allowing you to modify your conclusion and then BE right!(If you are one of those people that would rather be wrong than admit you're wrong then there is no hope for you) The idea that you're not allowed to question anyone's opinion is how we end up with the "fights like a girl" syndrome we have here on these on-line forums.(not a reference to Adam/Syndrome) As an example-It's not right to hit women-it's not allowed.They know that.They know that they can knock the livin' crap out of you and you can't hit them back.It's the same on here with opinions.People have gotten used to the idea that you can lash out without personal consequence just by claiming it to be "an opinion".But that's not the way that Men are supposed to look at things.The worst part of it all(that opinions are untouchable)as it relates to these forums is that nothing ever gets resolved.Someone posts something,someone protests,everyone gets mad,and someone steps in stops it all right there-at the point where everyone is mad-and it stays there.And they pile up.Where if you were face-to-face you would have to follow thru and resolve the issue.Most of these issues here would of course never happen face-to face.Words are chosen MUCH more carefully then,and should be here as well.I would like to offer some 'points to consider' before you post on here,or elsewhere.

Would you say it this way,or at all,in person? We all run in the same circles and they do overlap sometimes.Remember-you post it=you own it.

Do you have a point? Or are you just mad? Is this a knee-jerk reaction? Why are you mad? Are you protecting your fragile ego or right and wrong? If it's your ego-go lick it.If it's right and wrong-hold them accountable. If you're going to say something,have something to say.

Do you know firsthand what you're talking about? Or are you just guessing or repeating something you heard/read elsewhere(from someone who might be wrong).If you know have your backup ready.If you don't it's better put in the form of a question than as a statement of fact.Or better yet-go find out before you talk about it.Don't spend 2 days arguing what motor/battery combinations MIGHT be comparable.Go to the track,test it against the clock,invite some people out.Make a descision based on facts rather than a argument based on speculations.Remember-you're showing yourself to the world-make yourself look good.

Make sure you read it right before you reply.If some one says"I don't like peas and carrots" and you do like peas and carrots,they didn't insult you.If someone says "anyone that likes peas and carrots is an idiot"-they did,they own it,and they need to be held accountable for it.If you're unsure ask for a clarification first.It's easy to forget that this is all the written word without the tone and inflection of speech,and not everyone has mastered the art,or has the patience to try to get it right,even if they mean well.

Ask yourself if you are trying to veil a threat or insult under the guise of an opinion or a question? If you are then shane on you-don't post it at all.If you must then be a man-speak your mind-be ready to answer for yourself.No one likes or respects a two-faced manipulator.Once you hit submit-YOU OWN IT.

Does raising your issue have any possibility of a positive outcome? Will it be for the greater good in the long run? If not then you better to let it lay until you figure out some solutions or how to present it.See "do you have a point".

Are you posting in the right place? Is your issue pertinent to the thread you're posting it in? If it isn't-move it.If it is and you know that it is going to be a passionate issue-START A NEW THREAD! (they're free) Post a link and divert the discussion elsewhere.If you see something heating up-move the discussion elsewhere.Don't give the whole world a bad impression your group/home track/whatever.

Never-never-never forget that all we talk about on here is playing with toy cars.No matter how good you get at it there won't be any statues erected in your honor for it.The Smithsonian isn't going to want your equipment when you retire.They're not the real thing,there's no risk involved,and this is supposed to be for fun.Get over yourself.

This is my statement.I stand by it,I'm ready to defend and justify it,and I'm ready to be wrong.I OWN IT!

Kris Woodard

[email protected]

816-679-5882