Southern Off-Road Series 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southern Off-Road Series 2015

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 02:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sportsman classes have always been crash fest's for as long as I can remember. Just bump up to the pro classes, typically they are cleaner racing. Heck the pro nitro buggy class had zero crashes on the first lap if I recall this past weekend.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2916jr
Sportsman classes have always been crash fest's for as long as I can remember. Just bump up to the pro classes, typically they are cleaner racing. Heck the pro nitro buggy class had zero crashes on the first lap if I recall this past weekend.
It's funny you say that .. as I would have liked to have won a Sportsman race before moving up to Pro.. and when I run with the Pro guys.. my lap times are almost a second faster then sportsman.. I'll probably just run Pro.

At least I can secure last place for a while and the only way is up
Old 05-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by offr0aden
It's funny you say that .. as I would have liked to have won a Sportsman race before moving up to Pro.. and when I run with the Pro guys.. my lap times are almost a second faster then sportsman.. I'll probably just run Pro.

At least I can secure last place for a while and the only way is up
When you race with faster racers you get better. They won't typically crash you intentionally. Lap times don't matter. Keeping it on four wheels will win you races not lap times. My lap times this past weekend were slower than everyone else in E-Truggy but keeping it on 4 wheels qualified me 8th in the a-main. I had the slowest fast lap on the track in the main too lol 😁
Old 05-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok so I was the leader. I did holler out to let the lapped traffic know I was behind them. But it definitely was not every car just the 4 or5 cars in the back of the pack that I was following for 2 to 3 laps that everytime I would try to make a clean pass they would race me like it was for track position and take me out. So I was not hollering in anger it was solely to let you know I was the leader to please not take me out as i try and pass.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrcjones
Ok so I was the leader. I did holler out to let the lapped traffic know I was behind them. But it definitely was not every car just the 4 or5 cars in the back of the pack that I was following for 2 to 3 laps that everytime I would try to make a clean pass they would race me like it was for track position and take me out. So I was not hollering in anger it was solely to let you know I was the leader to please not take me out as i try and pass.
Here is my .02. The race director normally will do this for you, but at Dalton the track is very hard to see from the scoring box. I see nothing wrong with letting slower cars know you are the leader but remember they are battling for a spot also. Sounds like you did the right thing however.

Thanks to Gene and Charles for another great race.

Brian
Old 05-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

I had a great time at the race. I felt the program ran smooth. I can't wait until the next SOS!!!
I know there was a lot of fast driving and I know I hit people by mistake more than once. I remember bumping a guy and he yelled "COME ON". I didn't understand the point of yelling when it never caused his car to wash out and I allowed him to remain in position. He then drove extremely aggressive towards me the rest of the day. If I was trying to lap he would block, so I would wait until he wrecked. I didn't allow his frustration to become mine. I came to race toy cars.

I would have liked to seen the 4wd 1/10th been divided into two mains. It really caused issue's with 14 cars in the field. The track is wide but not when 6 buggies are in the center section. I understand why it was done the way it was done, I don't disagree with the way it was done, but if you're going to pack us 14 deep, give a AA-main.

I ran sportsman e-buggy. For my first SOS experience driving an 1/8th scale race I was amazed how different the experience was. The racers more competitive and less willing to allow for position even when they knew they were over driving their cars. When a racer is doing that its hard not to race, and race hard. I can tell you I wanted to bump to the A just like everyone else. However I remember it was for fun. I came to have fun and I tried to drive the best I could. I know people ran into me and I ran into people but I never felt it was people trying to ram me or trying to take me out. I knew they were just racing also.

I feel if you're the leader yell it as you enter the straight, " Leader entering straight" that allows slower racers to move aside and let faster drivers by. Don't expect someone to move aside when hitting a 90 degree right turn after a downhill jump. Also if you are a good driver you will find your spot and not expect and open track in front of you.

That's my .02. For what is worth I love these race days. I know some people get mad and some people just came to play. But we all come together to share a like minded hobby we all enjoy. We can't all have the talent of some other drivers and we can't all be mindful of that. However we can remember to have fun while building the skills it takes to be holding the trophy at the end of the day. If you are frustrated maybe its not the hobby for you or maybe try another class. I see hours of people getting along and helping each other taken for granted while they focus on 5 minutes of a bad race.

See you guys at the next SOS if I don't see you sooner. Thanks again to everyone who made this event happen and to all my brothers on the stand who made it exciting.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks a million to Gene and Ed and Charles and all the other guys who put in a lot of time making this a great series with a very well ran program.

This is my first year running Pro E buggy and the main reason I bumped up vs. just taking an easy top 5 in sportsmen, was that I felt I had no right to complain if someone wrecked me when running sportsmen and I wanted to be able to race close with people who know how to hold a line and If you have the inside they won't just cut you down out of spite. I know i'm not going to get a trophy in that class but I have a lot more fun and it makes me a better driver.

Overall I think it's just a lack of experience across the board on running in mains and how to pass and who should back off in what situation, etc. and there really isn't a lot of info out there to learn. Same thing with marshaling other than flipping the car over I don't think most people know the a actual rules/protocol. Might be a good idea for one of those "Telly tells all" type segments for tips and tricks on that kind of thing.

Anyway it's all in good fun. Getting pissed when things don't go your way is a much a part of the racing experience as winning the A.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

I want you to go back out on the track and hit the pace car! Hit the pace car?, yeah you've hit everything else, hit it too I want you to be perfect. Lol. My $.02 cents is, if your a pro, run pro not sportsman class! If the sportsman class drivers are turning a certain number of laps in allotted time, and you turn 2-4 more laps than the 2nd place guy in that time, its time to move up!! You will always have hell on wheels in the novice/sportsman classes.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:03 AM
JP4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Another Fun Race at SOS!

From the parking to the race program....it was great. Definitely a challenge calling a races form the Dalton's booth but Gene and Charles did outstanding job IMO. It was good seeing some faces that we have not seen in a while. There was a fun a festival mood around the track that made us enjoy the race day even more. See you guys for the Finals at Dalton RC!

~JP
Old 05-06-2015, 07:25 AM
Tech Addict

Wish I could have made this race, I had other things already planned. Looking forward to the finals and also hoping to get some more things done to dalton rc to make it even better.

Congrats to all the winners and podium finishers!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Mizchief
Thanks a million to Gene and Ed and Charles and all the other guys who put in a lot of time making this a great series with a very well ran program.

This is my first year running Pro E buggy and the main reason I bumped up vs. just taking an easy top 5 in sportsmen, was that I felt I had no right to complain if someone wrecked me when running sportsmen and I wanted to be able to race close with people who know how to hold a line and If you have the inside they won't just cut you down out of spite. I know i'm not going to get a trophy in that class but I have a lot more fun and it makes me a better driver.

Overall I think it's just a lack of experience across the board on running in mains and how to pass and who should back off in what situation, etc. and there really isn't a lot of info out there to learn. Same thing with marshaling other than flipping the car over I don't think most people know the a actual rules/protocol. Might be a good idea for one of those "Telly tells all" type segments for tips and tricks on that kind of thing.

Anyway it's all in good fun. Getting pissed when things don't go your way is a much a part of the racing experience as winning the A.
Great idea for a TTA episode! That would be a fun way to help educate some of the newer drivers on a lot of the track rules and courtesies for marshaling and driving. Hopefully we can work that one out in the near future.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Points are posted
http://www.rcpointsmanager.com/viewer/geneo1976/335
Old 05-19-2015, 04:03 AM
Tech Regular

Video of SOS 2015 Round 2 at Dalton RC is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebmEX81FfqI
Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Great video and such a wonderful thing done for the young kid, Congrats!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

GREAT video! I really captures the excitement and fun that goes along with RC racing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.