Wiki Posts
Search

2wd sct??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default 2wd sct??

Ok going out on a limb here. I for one love the class. its what got me back into the hobby. I've noticed what many others have, that its all but gone. I'd like a Revival. For those who are like me and still have all the 2wd stuff but aren't crazy about open. why don't we just show up and start 17.5 again. most tracks have a 5 or more make a class (except i believe loganville is 7). point being if we show up i don't see anyone turning us away.

as a suggestion they could even run us with open just score separately. another possibility would be start a spec class, where we could mandate rtr/1-1 appearing tires. so no pin type tires. this would take some of the cost out of it making it cheaper for new comers. i remember how fun the slash stock races were and wouldn't mind going back to something along those lines. or just show up and run 17.5 like we used to.

anyway this is just a few possibilities. im open for suggestions and would love to see the class come back!! so come on with the ideas and suggestions or criticism. i don't care. i have thick skin
Old 02-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

The GCS went to mod on 2wd SCT this year...I guess that is why most tracks are changing. I had one but sold my 17.5 motor and went to a 8.5 since that is the way it was leaning for the class.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

What ever the reason they went open for the most part there isn't enough turn out anymore to even have a class. So I'm hopingthis thread will spark some interest again. I believe gcs. went open because the local tracks started promoting open. As for me personally I have motors to run open but like stated before. There isn't any turn out for 2wd since the open rule.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I went to HCRCR about 3 weeks ago and there was no turn out for 2WD SCT at all...stock or mod.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It went open to try to get more people to run it. everybody stoped showing up but a couple people said they may run it again if the class was open so they could run a motor that was a little more fun. Running open also brings cost down because you can run a $100 motor and ESC combo and still be competitive with the guys running $150-$200 LRP and Tekin ESC's with name brand $90+ motors
Old 02-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I love racing 2wd sct and have both set-ups ready to go, just cant get out to one of these tracks due to time constraints and distance. That is why I really hated to see TT go away because they were friendly, on-time, tight schedule and wrapped it up before dark.

These other tracks have the nitro thing going as well and dont mind spending 12 hours to get it all done. I know slight exaggeration.....

As far as tires, spec tires are gone forever like the MT.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LMRacing
It went open to try to get more people to run it. everybody stoped showing up but a couple people said they may run it again if the class was open so they could run a motor that was a little more fun. Running open also brings cost down because you can run a $100 motor and ESC combo and still be competitive with the guys running $150-$200 LRP and Tekin ESC's with name brand $90+ motors
Good words right there, Adam..

I'll be running 2wd SCT Open and 2wd Buggy Open in the 2013 GCS.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the input so far. I agree with the cost factor of the esc/motor. But at the tracks I ra e at we had good turn out until the buz on the internet about going open. I figured most people had a hard enough time with a 17.5 so the extra power just made it worse. Plus the few times I ran mine open it wore tires a lot faster. So that was a big reason froqm my point of view to stay 17.5. You can even look at the turn out at psycho 2 years ago compared to last year when they decided to run open. They had about a 60 to 75 percent drop in the class.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

The drop in numbers for 2wd SCT isn't because of the change to Open, instead of '17.5'... It's been a steady drop across the country. Mainly because 2wd SCT is usually the 'gateway drug' class of RC, to get people into the hobby... Once they've had a taste, they usually sellout and bail from 2wd SCT altogether, and go straight to a 1/8 Nitro Buggy like they know what they're doing.... lol, then the regret factor kicks in, and they end up somewhere between 4wd SCT, eBuggy, and Pro Buggy.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weavty1
The drop in numbers for 2wd SCT isn't because of the change to Open, instead of '17.5'... It's been a steady drop across the country. Mainly because 2wd SCT is usually the 'gateway drug' class of RC, to get people into the hobby... Once they've had a taste, they usually sellout and bail from 2wd SCT altogether, and go straight to a 1/8 Nitro Buggy like they know what they're doing.... lol, then the regret factor kicks in, and they end up somewhere between 4wd SCT, eBuggy, and Pro Buggy.
Agreed....and this is somewhat a concern. So does this mean we may be losing the racing newbie because he/she may be intimidated by the open and 1/8 classes? Yeah, maybe. So this sorta proves the value of multiple cooperating tracks serving their core customers while promoting the joy of RC racing (without the drama).

At HS we have been having a pretty good turn out of new racers, where some are pretty skilled and enthusiastic. The class is "open" but it all equals out because too much motor is not an advantage.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by weavty1
Interesting point of view. I guess you could have a point. That's kinda what happened to me, except I never abandoned 2wd.. I just added e-buggy and 4wd sct
Well i keep my 2wd with me where ever I race so I'm open for it as long as there is a class. Open stock or anywhere in between.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Not only that, but if the people are complaining that they arent racing due to open, then they have never raced in an open event. The boosted 17.5 geared correctly is just as fast as a mod motor. The difference is cost and temperature. Too be competitive in 17.5 cost way more then in a mod class, and also in a 17.5 class you wear out your motor and esc faster. I was against mod as well, until i actually used a mod motor in my car. I think it is a good descision across the board, and if you can get a group of people to run 17.5 then have 2 classes like most of the big races do. I like the stock class idea as well to bring in more races, but i think it should be a 2wd stock class, allowing buggy, stadium truck, sct, scb, etc. That would really bring in races and make for a fun class that would also allow you to upgrade when your ready for the next step of that class, especially since you will have experience with the car you have chosen. Also BRING BACK 1/10 4WD BUGGY!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I really like the 17.5 rule, in fact i wont be at the GCS because of it going mod! Maybe a boycott would bring it back
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

plus 1

Originally Posted by ae-Dan
I really like the 17.5 rule, in fact i wont be at the GCS because of it going mod! Maybe a boycott would bring it back
Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZbdI...youtu.be&t=35s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.