Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the rules for the sportsman class

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have tried several times to have a discussion about this.
To me the bottom line is average laptimes, period.

If a Sportsman driver is turning laptimes that are as fast as the Pro class average, well imho he needs to be running Pro.

Sponsors aside and everything else aside, average laptimes is what it all boils down to. Each track should keep a log of racers times and if a Sportsman driver is in the hunt with Pro class times, well bump them up!

I don't care if someone has 20 sponsors, if they are slow they are slow.
On the other hand, if the have no sponsors and are fast, well Pro class it is.

Post the rules, then nobody can argue with them.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes, I was the one that started the thread in the off-road section and it varies so much by region. Some say sportsman is for the kid just getting started with an OFNA RTR, radio with a broken antenna, etc.. Some say as long as you have no sponsors then you are fine to run Sportsman. I know one thing, we have some fast Sportsman when we go to big races. Last year at Psycho Nitro something like 10/15 in the A main sportsman were ROCCK racers, or N. GA guys. Our sportsman classes around here are much faster and competitive when I race in Ohio, SC

I think it is personal decisions a lot of time. Yes, there are some that have sponsors and run sportsman and not competitive. How they get sponsorship is truly amazing to me. For example, I have never won a "big" race like Psycho Nitro Blast or anything. However would I win a pro race, no, but I am getting consistent enough to run mid-pack with pros for the most part in a club or small series raqce and sitting (was) in the #1 position in a points series, and make and finish at the top at big races in Sportsman. So as a courtesy it is probably time for me to bump to pro as soon as the series is over. In our points series in Knoxville, Winterblast 2012, I will be running pro instead of Sportsman. I will never be sponsored or anything so I guess I have a decision at Psycho Nitro Blast to run Open or Sportsman.

Our track rule in Knoxville is:

1. You have won 3 sportsman races at our track.
2. You have won a "big" race
3. You have finished top 2 in a points series

You meet one of those 3 criterias you will bump to pro automatically.

We usually run one class, the fast guys will make the A main regardless of pro or sportsman. However this year we are going to separate and run a pro and sportsman class! We will see how it goes as we have enough guys now to run a pro class as all of us Sportsman have made our way up through the ranks.

I know of a sponsored sportsman driver that still has never made an A main at our track or at Battlefield.........

He would create havoc running pro even though he is sponsored....
Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc31cli
-- SPORTSMAN BUGGY - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 36 20:31.78 Derrick Rather
2 2 35 20:26.92 ALAN FUNDORA
3 3 33 20:06.20 Austin Hughes

okay now the pro times

-- PRO BUGGY - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 39 20:09.32 Coty Ingram
2 2 39 20:25.24 Dustin Bunch
3 3 38 20:10.71 Paul Conway
4 4 37 20:08.50 Ed Weaver
5 5 35 20:18.21 Matt Bevil
6 8 35 20:21.28 Keith Wilikins
7 7 34 20:17.19 Heywood Barton
before you read iam just using these people as examples. iam friends with these two guys.
derrick had 36 laps and alan had 35 derrick would of finished 5th in pro and alan would of finished 7th in the pro class. now i watched the sportman amian and alan is fast but he just wrecked a little more than derrick, alan could of won it too. now im not saying that these are the only two people that should bump. austin is moving on up in this rc world too. there are about 5 or 6 people who should really bump to pro but wont because they say we are too fast. guys you get faster by trying to run down the faster guys. you find there lines you figure out how hard you can run into that corner and you also push the boundaries of an rc car. two years ago i went to the pnb with not one sponsor. i still entered pro because i know where i stand. in the entire protruggy amian i was the only person completely un sponsored. so what happened i brought back 4th place and a podium finish. even if you dont have a single sponsor you are going to spend the same amount of money running sportsman as you would running pro. just bump already stop procrastinating. heywould bumped knowing it was his time. let the other guys who are the real sportsman have their class back.
Here are the results from the race prior to the last one (At Battlefield)

Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 29 20:17.87 Derrick Rather
2 3 28 20:03.09 MIKE EALEY
3 6 26 19:12.55 Dewayne Potter
4 9 26 20:01.85 Brian Seehafer
5 8 26 20:29.52 Sam Jones 5916380
6 10 26 20:31.92 Robert Rosenkranz

-- PRO BUGGY - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 3 30 20:04.23 Ed Weaver
2 1 30 20:06.11 jonathan maxey
3 5 29 20:12.44 robbie seehafer
4 4 29 20:21.19 Paul Conway
5 6 29 20:25.92 Coty Ingram
6 8 28 20:20.91 Keith Wilikins
7 7 17 12:54.14 Tim Hobbs
8 2 16 11:06.44 Matt Mehring

The Sportsman drivers turned 26 laps and had a great run for it - but the other times.... <No comment> It's been like this for this whole series..

Just takes the fun out of the chase...
Old 10-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by offr0aden
Here are the results from the race prior to the last one (At Battlefield)

Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 29 20:17.87 Derrick Rather
2 3 28 20:03.09 MIKE EALEY
3 6 26 19:12.55 Dewayne Potter
4 9 26 20:01.85 Brian Seehafer
5 8 26 20:29.52 Sam Jones 5916380
6 10 26 20:31.92 Robert Rosenkranz

-- PRO BUGGY - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 3 30 20:04.23 Ed Weaver
2 1 30 20:06.11 jonathan maxey
3 5 29 20:12.44 robbie seehafer
4 4 29 20:21.19 Paul Conway
5 6 29 20:25.92 Coty Ingram
6 8 28 20:20.91 Keith Wilikins
7 7 17 12:54.14 Tim Hobbs
8 2 16 11:06.44 Matt Mehring

The Sportsman drivers turned 26 laps and had a great run for it - but the other times.... <No comment> It's been like this for this whole series..

Just takes the fun out of the chase...
Yep understand, it is a tough call. I am not sponsored and never will be so I am eligible for Sportsman but I want to get faster so chasing pros will make you faster. Now we need to get Tudor to follow us up to pro..... I will bet money he will be 60 and still running sportsman!!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

It's funny you say that - because with 2 1st place wins in this series already - I'm sure (Because it's been said) a 3rd 1st place win is not going to happen. As that would qualify a certain person to bump up
Old 10-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Haha. At the end of the series y'all should give Tudor a consalation prize for being the longest running sportsman in the state. Just poking at ya Tudor. But on subject something needs to be done and the beat way to start is by having rules the class follows and have them written down. No more hearsay, unwritten or honor system. As of now there not working!!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Yep, at the same time he is not sponsored and does it for fun on the weekends so he fits in the sportsman calss guidelines. To best of my knowledge he has not won a national, regional race so he is perfectly fine running sportsman.....

Once again, it is a tough call!!!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjealey
Yep, at the same time he is not sponsored and does it for fun on the weekends so he fits in the sportsman calss guidelines. To best of my knowledge he has not won a national, regional race so he is perfectly fine running sportsman.....

Valid point which is why we need guide lines. Even though he has not won anything "big" he keeps winning or is in the top at each race. I personally do not know him, heard his name that's about it so I'm unbiased here. When I was a new racer about 8 months back I started as a sportsman and looked at times not knowing anyone thinking dang those top guys are running same times as the pros. I like the lap times and qual times being the deciding factor
Old 10-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Keeping this family friendly - we all race for fun.. or to at least have fun!! It's our HOBBY for goodness sake!!

I've never won a Sportsman race (But try hard to) - knowing that people are blatantly sandbagging, and we are paying to race with the chance to win. It will be a hard choice to stay in this series another season. I don't want to be an obstacle for the Pro Drivers.. But, It's something to think about - on the brighter side, if I make the top 12 I'll have more run time in the mains!!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

I agree with you but at the same time what are the sportsman guidelines??
I guess they fall in the unwritten rule book. This is my point. Everyone "knows" the rules but there's nothing offical.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xrayvision
I agree with you but at the same time what are the sportsman guidelines??
I guess they fall in the unwritten rule book. This is my point. Everyone "knows" the rules but there's nothing offical.
They are unofficial, tough call and all conversations end up ending the same way just like this.....
Old 10-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

According to the rules a friend of mine who is unsponsored, yet a top pro driver could run sportsman and would easily win. We need the guidelines for that simple fact.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Honestly without prejudice - A line in the times could be drawn by track owner and director. Everyone runs randomly chosen qualifiers, at the end of three rounds (Or whatever number) the line is drawn and the mains are decided. This will allow everyone a fair shake and allow everyone to build up their driving skills.

Will this please everyone - NO!! - but it will level the filed.

Then of course, if someone holds back to bump up and then wins the Sportsman by 2 plus laps and or has speeds 2 plus mph faster.. Then they would have to run Pro next time.

Let's call a duck a duck .. keep posting the times the day after - the times speak the truth!!

And let's agree on the rules / guidelines!!

We should all be "Sportsman" and "Should" hold a great deal of Sportsmanship for the sport / hobby.. We don't need our hands slapped or restrictions. We need "Accountability"!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by offr0aden
Keeping this family friendly - we all race for fun.. or to at least have fun!! It's our HOBBY for goodness sake!!

I've never won a Sportsman race (But try hard to) - knowing that people are blatantly sandbagging, and we are paying to race with the chance to win. It will be a hard choice to stay in this series another season. I don't want to be an obstacle for the Pro Drivers.. But, It's something to think about - on the brighter side, if I make the top 12 I'll have more run time in the mains!!
Last year I was in your shoes..... it was a miracle if I even made an A main!!!! Sportsman has helped me and being able to chase faster drivers like Heywood Barton or Mike Tudor has helped me a lot!!!!! I know for a fact me and Derek Rather and Bryan Menard will be bumping to pro on our own accord and you will be running right at the top!!!!!!!! It is all good, just part of racing. I do it for fun and don't take anything too seriously.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Last year I was in your shoes..... it was a miracle if I even made an A main!!!! Sportsman has helped me and being able to chase faster drivers like Heywood Barton or Mike Tudor has helped me a lot!!!!! I know for a fact me and Derek Rather and Bryan Menard will be bumping to pro on our own accord and you will be running right at the top!!!!!!!! It is all good, just part of racing. I do it for fun and don't take anything too seriously.
You are right on the mark ... at the end of the day there is a smile on..! No worries.. I did bid on a OFNA LX Comp for the pro class / series next year.. with some Losi LST shocks and arms - I'll be the last running after 30 minutes.. promise And I'm not sponsored to boot

No rules say I can't run both classes :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.