Wiki Posts
Search

Large Parking Lot track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)
Default Large Parking Lot track?

I remember back in the day they used to race at Indian Trail. My father used to take me to watch them race. It was so damn cool! Anyways, I know they dont race there anymore but what about other deserted parking lots? There is a Home Depot off Sydney Marcus that is deserted that could make a few tracks.

What would be needed to make a track there other than throwing up some cones? Would anyone else be interested in trying to get some races there? The reason I made this thread is b/c I am more based in Atlanta and a lot of tracks are 1hr + away from me.

-Ant.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRYMY4.0
I remember back in the day they used to race at Indian Trail. My father used to take me to watch them race. It was so damn cool! Anyways, I know they dont race there anymore but what about other deserted parking lots? There is a Home Depot off Sydney Marcus that is deserted that could make a few tracks.

What would be needed to make a track there other than throwing up some cones? Would anyone else be interested in trying to get some races there? The reason I made this thread is b/c I am more based in Atlanta and a lot of tracks are 1hr + away from me.

-Ant.
In 2008 we were giving the OK to run in the parking lot of Hobby Town Barrett Parkway in Kenesaw. I think it would have been great because we would have been racing in front of spectators (just like in the Indian Trail days). It was our hope that this would have caused our group to grow due to spectators purchasing cars and coming out to race with us.

I would still like to see this happen at Hobby Town or where ever we could do it. The key thing is SAFETY. These cars have run-away for various reasons and spectators can be hurt. That is why when we raced at Indian Trail we built a ROAR approved track and had SITE INSURANCE and all the racers were ROAR members. A 1/8 car cutting through spectators at 70mph is not something that you want to see happen.

We have all the materials to build a parking lot track. When Sugarbowl finally ceases to exist we will have to go the parking lot route. I would LOVE to try this in 2009 so if anyone has any ideas about where we may be able to do a parking lot race let me know.

Lee
Old 01-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

I have asked the guys at the HobbyTown in Kennesaw, and they said they would love to, but were unable to, due to insurance purposes.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Adept

you can race at nexus for carpet
Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RFALLON
If you are an RC guy in the Atlanta area. This really is your best option. Go support Nexus and learn about racing on the rug.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

snoopyrc

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFALLON [View]

If you are an RC guy in the Atlanta area. This really is your best option. Go support Nexus and learn about racing on the rug.
Can't run Nitro on the Rug!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Carpet is seasonal....unless they A/C the building it'll be an oven in the hot months!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Don't recall seeing your name in the sign-ups at Nexus?

My bad...checked the data base, saw your name!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm not putting down on-road but why is sugarbowl closing if it's the only place you can race ? Just asking.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bgbelden
I'm not putting down on-road but why is sugarbowl closing if it's the only place you can race ? Just asking.
Sugar bowl is already closed. But eventually it'll be perm shut down. I wish he would open it back up, even with no hobby shop people will still attend. Sugar bowl also has off road top.

Lee- I would love to have an on road at barett. Would love to help too! Only other place is Sydney marcus' home depot. You can have about 3 maybe 4 large tracks. I'll take pics tomorrow.

-Ant.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
In 2008 we were giving the OK to run in the parking lot of Hobby Town Barrett Parkway in Kenesaw. I think it would have been great because we would have been racing in front of spectators (just like in the Indian Trail days). It was our hope that this would have caused our group to grow due to spectators purchasing cars and coming out to race with us.

I would still like to see this happen at Hobby Town or where ever we could do it. The key thing is SAFETY. These cars have run-away for various reasons and spectators can be hurt. That is why when we raced at Indian Trail we built a ROAR approved track and had SITE INSURANCE and all the racers were ROAR members. A 1/8 car cutting through spectators at 70mph is not something that you want to see happen.

We have all the materials to build a parking lot track. When Sugarbowl finally ceases to exist we will have to go the parking lot route. I would LOVE to try this in 2009 so if anyone has any ideas about where we may be able to do a parking lot race let me know.

Lee
I spoke with the owner of Hobbytown USA in Kennesaw the other day. He is dying for us to use his parking lot to race in. He said everything with the landlord is taken care of.

I am sure we would need to be ROAR members just like we do to race at Nexus. Well worth the $30 per year. Trust me. I have used the insurance.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bgbelden
We are in Georgia. There are 10 to 1 off roaders to on roaders in this region of the USA. In general there are about 80% off roaders, and 20% on roaders in RC.

On road is more expensive, and more challenging than off road. Off roaders can bash anywhere, and it is easy to learn. On road racers need a smooth clean surface, and the cars are not durable like off road.

Directly after the terror attacks of 9/11 the Sugarbowl on road crowd dropped from about 40 people at the club races to a max of 10.

In 2009 I am seeing a sharp decline in all on road racing around the USA. At some of the big on road races the attendance in 1/2 of what it was a couple of years ago, if that!

I guess the answer to your question is..........Money.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Grinder
I spoke with the owner of Hobbytown USA in Kennesaw the other day. He is dying for us to use his parking lot to race in. He said everything with the landlord is taken care of.

I am sure we would need to be ROAR members just like we do to race at Nexus. Well worth the $30 per year. Trust me. I have used the insurance.
Thanks for the update.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

Grinder-sweet

Lee-I have your money, maybe we can meet up saturday.

How do we become ROAR members? I'm still new to this...

-Ant.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRYMY4.0
Grinder-sweet

Lee-I have your money, maybe we can meet up saturday.

How do we become ROAR members? I'm still new to this...

-Ant.
http://www.roarracing.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.