Old 05-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

my favorite..

Old 05-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Of course it's your favorite

These shots are the best yet of the collections. Improvement is happening and it's looking good. I was thinking yesterday that with all the sunshine pics would be better than ever and was a little miffed I chose to shoot video instead because the lighting was spot on for high speed images and high shutter speeds. I'm not sure if the previews are compressing the images or they are over sharpened. The pic you posted in post 2 does not look over sharpened (looks great) so I'd say the small preview size is just over compressing the images.

You should set your preview size a little bigger in your gallery because that size is pretty hard to see the pics (plus the compression thing). Navigation is a bit tricky also, but that's not something you can work with..... just thought I'd suggest changing the preview size. These are great pics and should be shown off in a little bigger resolution.

If you ever change to another gallery, try coppermine. http://coppermine-gallery.net/

I've been using them for about 6 yrs and LOVE the admin control panel. There is literally nothing you cannot set or control. This is mine: http://lextech.org/gallery/index.php I haven't done much with it in about 4 yrs, it's about time I update everything. Scroll to the bottom and check out the recent previews feature.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

if you click on the first thumbnail...or any for that matter you go to bigger views. and can continue to cycle through them or let it do a slide show for you. they are viewed the same size as the 1 i posted.

I like that the best cause of the rooster tails. its your video also...#3 i believe. a little ways into it you can see the rooster tails shoot up in the air.

she is looking for something better for her site...the site is all her...i just model lol (yeah right)
Old 05-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the tip, makes viewing easier That coppermine gallery is free with a lot of other features in the CpanelX from www.siteflip.com. Their packages include everything from forums, galleries, blogs, auction templates, commerce stores, .....you name it they have it. All free with a hosting package and they are CHEEAPPPP as heck to host with.

I've had them for 6 yrs and have yet to experience downtime on my assigned server..... can't argue with that reliability and all that free gear for under $100 a year. You'll get away with a hosting package in the $50 range since your site isn't going to transfer more than 10gb a month or use more than 10gb of space.

This is the cpanel site: http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpwhm...l11/index.html take the demo tour to see the features.

Check here to see inside cpanel: http://x3demob.cpx3demo.com:2082/frontend/x3/index.html
Old 05-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

yeah we have used cpanel before for other sites we have and had. she is reading this right now on her computer so maybe she will chime in
Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

I've used Cpanel before, didn't care for it. The thumbnails are that way b/c I chose to make them that small. I could make them bigger but that's kinda redundant with being able to go into each folder and see the bigger pictures. Thanks for the input, but I think I will stick with jalbum for the time being. Everything you see there, and stuff you don't is all 100% customizable. And extremely easy to use. I don't have to host off of them, but it's an option. I have more than enough space with my hosting company that I don't have to worry about storage. There are several galleries on my site that are private that many can't even see. So for a few bucks a month I get more than enough storage and tons of customizing. Thanks for the info though. I might tinker with the other program just to see what it is capable of.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
yeah we have used cpanel before for other sites we have and had. she is reading this right now on her computer so maybe she will chime in

Cool, good stuff. Siteflip uses Fantastico Deluxe as the installer and they seem to offer the best variety of software. I've seen other hosting sites strike deals with certain free open source vendors that were not quite as developed as the software companies siteflip uses, so look through and see what they feature for software because when I renewed 2 yrs ago I went looking and still found no comparison to siteflip's fantastico deluxe installer software collection.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

yeah she deals with all the photography site stuff. i try to stay away from that stuff lol.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by monkey handler
I've used Cpanel before, didn't care for it. The thumbnails are that way b/c I chose to make them that small. I could make them bigger but that's kinda redundant with being able to go into each folder and see the bigger pictures. Thanks for the input, but I think I will stick with jalbum for the time being. Everything you see there, and stuff you don't is all 100% customizable. And extremely easy to use. I don't have to host off of them, but it's an option. I have more than enough space with my hosting company that I don't have to worry about storage. There are several galleries on my site that are private that many can't even see. So for a few bucks a month I get more than enough storage and tons of customizing. Thanks for the info though. I might tinker with the other program just to see what it is capable of.
Noice! I have no idea who you host with, but thought I'd let you in on the siteflip guys since they have so many software vendors. I don't think there has been a time in the past 5 or so yrs I have ever not told anyone about them that has their own site. (me likey options)

The navigation on the gallery is not very self explanatory, but once you get all the way in it - it seems pretty easy to move around in. I thought I'd throw the coppermine suggestion out just to give you a second gallery option.... it will install beside your gallery with no conflicts if you decide to try it.

If I come across any other good gallery software programs I'll let monkey know. I'm always looking......... Coppermine is not likely the peak of all galleries, but it's the easiest I have found so far that works for me. Thought maybe you could use it, at least as a second option.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
yeah she deals with all the photography site stuff. i try to stay away from that stuff lol.
It's all a pita, but nice once it is all set up. I'd rather tweak nitro engines with my spare time though

Even with all the Mac software I have that will automate web design, I still hate doing it. I'd rather ignore the internet design thing all together, but every now and then someone posts up a suggestion and I run over to see if I like it or not and end up tweaking even more on the site.

I try and find the easiest to use programs with the most features at the lowest cost (don't we all?), so I am always trying to swap info with people.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

yeah the navigation isn't the easiest that is just the style on that one. There are abunch of different choices as far as navigation. This was the one that I thought wouldn't treat everyone like they were retarded and still look decent. There are tons of skins for this package it's just all a matter of what looks the best and that's relative. It's free and simple enough even Monkey could use it lol. Kidding
Old 05-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by monkey handler
The thumbnails are that way b/c I chose to make them that small. I could make them bigger but that's kinda redundant with being able to go into each folder and see the bigger pictures.
Actually I just noticed you said thumbnails. I was speaking of the big picture inside. It must be my resolution. I'm on a 24" LG monitor I use for my photoshop and web work and it's on high res. The photo does have some compression to it under your size preview settings, but the size might be related to the monitor settings more than not. I was guessing the preview was around 640 pix and I am more used to 800 pix previews. That was actually what I was talking about increasing for easier viewing, but again not everyone is on 1920 x 1200 resolution. I find I have more problems viewing the smaller previews than most. Just me thinking aloud, ignore.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Whew! Is anyone else exhausted after reading all that??
Old 05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by toycardriver
Whew! Is anyone else exhausted after reading all that??
heck yes, let's go have a beer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.