Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Florida Racing
The Hey Days of the State Series- where did they all Go? >

The Hey Days of the State Series- where did they all Go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Hey Days of the State Series- where did they all Go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default The Hey Days of the State Series- where did they all Go?

In the 80's-90's we had Racers from Georgia-Alabama coming down to race in the series. Even one guy from La.One race the was a guy flying into Miami from California supposed to have been good(looked bad) driving a 1/12th(Terrance ???).Once oval came around the Alabama gang went oval on us. But before they did they held a National in Birmingham.A few years ago we had some Carolina guys come down for a few races.Where did they all go.Maybe they can come on a tell us ? I'm just curious.Mike Burnett(ga), Bailey(ga),Jimmy Simmons(al), David Swearington(al). Maybe some of our other Florida guys that raced the series?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Some of um passed away before they turned 100, some used their batteries for flashlights and sold their pan-cars, and the smart healthy ones race nitro 1/8 scale cars. I think I seen a couple of um up in Maryland @ the 301 race a few weeks back. hehehe
Old 07-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Got some more names- Joe Conte,Richard Grubb, Ward Bower,Mike Frommer, Lance,Norman (Flying Penguin), Benny Tucen,Remember K&G hobbies on the Seminole reservation.Racing at TY Park, Mike Alexander( the cast that shattered my 1/12th when I was beating my buddy Eddie in the C main).Mini-Mags?Kevin Hubbard?Paul and Jenny?Hugh Ebner?Frank Duranza?Gary Crumb?Mike Klendoworth?Dan Salvatatore?Andy Dobson?Buddy and Edwin McTureous?Stuart Levine? Adrian Fernandez, Sean Cooper and Family? Justin Biss?Juan Sat? Robert Patula?

Last edited by BullFrog; 07-02-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

wow! between the two of you guys there is probably like 80- 90 years of r/c who's who,tips,tricks, forgotten stuff that regular people don't ever think to do.
You guys should come up with a nostalgia section to this form,races who was top dog . top rivalries . top cars ,what you had to do to get them to work.
maybe some pics. wonder if there are any with Jim having an afro?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ssc-rc
wow! between the two of you guys there is probably like 80- 90 years of r/c who's who,tips,tricks, forgotten stuff that regular people don't ever think to do.
You guys should come up with a nostalgia section to this form,races who was top dog . top rivalries . top cars ,what you had to do to get them to work.
maybe some pics. wonder if there are any with Jim having an afro?
80 to 90?? more like 140 to 150
Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

I subtracted for memories lost
Old 07-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

Bill
I saw Buddy and Edwin at Bobby Horan's wedding,they still look the same and Buddy is still crazy as hell.
Dennis Cubbage

Last edited by dennisthemennac; 07-02-2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling
Old 07-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i still have fantasy raceway stickers,,,wonder if patty whitehouse and greg barker are still together,, i did alot of racing with patty greg terry and neal,,,just a few right off the top of my head oh ya the bowser brother and art carbonell ,,wow those where the days
Old 07-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Tech Master

last I saw patty about three years ago she was still with greg. Bowsers still racing today.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:35 AM
Suspended

I got a PM here on RC Tech from Norman (Flying Penguin)...he now manages a golf course at some island resort off the coast of Venezuela.

Kevin Hubbard is still in the Ft. Lauderdale area...now married with a kid.

Paul Knudsen briefly got back into 1/12 a couple of years ago...still in West Palm.

Juan Erbella (friend of Greg Barker) is now living in Naples.

And we need to get Edwin to a race, just to do the siren.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Fantasy is where I first started racing. I used to rock a Mercedes Sauber on my Lazer Lite fuel tubing whip!! LOL!! Any of you guys ever raced with Manny Llorente? His mom Virginia used to be the raffle director. I went to my fisrt FSEARA race with them in 90-91?? WOW!!

Hey Malin still have any of those steel spur gears? LMAO!! I remember that from some indoor track down south we ran at that had no A/C .I still have my radical duke 14/3 from Steve Minea and Team Pit Stop!!!! (chain drive for life!)

Heck I even still have some pro-star red stars, gold stars and even some black dots!!! AHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

For some real fun, someone needs to get Case Fessler back out to the track.

Think it would take a lot of arm-twisting to get Case to head out west for the IIC?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Tech Champion

Butter I did not realize you've been around that long ( since Manny).McSmooth we racing at Kiss. Raceway in September - why don't you come on down and visit everyone?I couldn't remember Paul's last name but he did call me back afew years ago.I also still have my Team Pit Stop catalog.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

I used to love to race at TY park. Man there were a lot of people back then. All ages. Now it seems more of an older crowd of racers. I raced for 2 years back in the mid 80's

DJ
Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

For Lazer Lite?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.