Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree507Likes

Tamiya M-07 Concept

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 01:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

As suggested try rebuilding it something could be off but it would have to be really out of whack to get the issues you are having.
have you tried other tires ? Are others there running the same tire setup as you without issue?
front toe has a lot to do with stability in the car especially if you are on a high grip track .
Old 10-02-2019, 01:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've run on both medium and high grip carpet, indoors between 15 and 25c, with the same issues. I agree it has to be something up specifically with my car. Its going to have a full strip and rebuild now regardless.

Carnage9270 your comments on the diff are interesting though, its been rebuilt with metal gears as the plastic ones didn't last long, and it has been run with 100k, 50k and even 2k just to see if it helped.

If its still no good after the rebuild, I think the diff might need looking at... does anyone use the TA06 ball diff? (Is this the one you use 30k oil in Carnage?)

Tyre wise we are running the same as everyone else so it should be fine.

What toe settings are recommended for stability on high grip carpet?
Old 10-02-2019, 02:18 AM
Tech Addict

My experince is as follows.

I havnt run on high grip carpet though one if the tracks I visit is high grip asphalt .
I run mine every week at my local and its awesome. I then took it to the high grip track with a few mates with m07's and we could not get our cars down the straight let alone getting them around a corner. They behaved just like you explain with yours.
one of the locals suggested more toe out which I had already thought about he then showed us his car and i the he was crazy with the amount of toe out he had .
He sets it at 5 degrees of toe out each side.
I tried other tires ,ride height, springs and nothing help. I checked other locals cars and they were all the same with massive toe out so I gave in and trimmed my steering links by a few mm and cranked in some toe out.
it was like flicking a switch . It went from totally undrivable to awesome.
I settled with around 3/4 degrees out each side. It was the same for all 3 m07 we took.
I have been back several times and every time it's the same, totally undrivable without adding a lot of toe out.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by damang999
My experince is as follows.

I havnt run on high grip carpet though one if the tracks I visit is high grip asphalt .
I run mine every week at my local and its awesome. I then took it to the high grip track with a few mates with m07's and we could not get our cars down the straight let alone getting them around a corner. They behaved just like you explain with yours.
one of the locals suggested more toe out which I had already thought about he then showed us his car and i the he was crazy with the amount of toe out he had .
He sets it at 5 degrees of toe out each side.
I tried other tires ,ride height, springs and nothing help. I checked other locals cars and they were all the same with massive toe out so I gave in and trimmed my steering links by a few mm and cranked in some toe out.
it was like flicking a switch . It went from totally undrivable to awesome.
I settled with around 3/4 degrees out each side. It was the same for all 3 m07 we took.
I have been back several times and every time it's the same, totally undrivable without adding a lot of toe out.
OK thanks, we will do the rebuild and if its still the same afterwards, we will go down the massive toe out route!
Old 10-02-2019, 03:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Daaaveee
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've run on both medium and high grip carpet, indoors between 15 and 25c, with the same issues. I agree it has to be something up specifically with my car. Its going to have a full strip and rebuild now regardless.

Carnage9270 your comments on the diff are interesting though, its been rebuilt with metal gears as the plastic ones didn't last long, and it has been run with 100k, 50k and even 2k just to see if it helped.

If its still no good after the rebuild, I think the diff might need looking at... does anyone use the TA06 ball diff? (Is this the one you use 30k oil in Carnage?)

Tyre wise we are running the same as everyone else so it should be fine.

What toe settings are recommended for stability on high grip carpet?
Is it hooking on corner entry? Have you tried a softer front tyre / 6 deg kick up / yellow front springs with the shocks set all the way inwards on the tower?
Old 10-02-2019, 04:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by NumptyRacing
Is it hooking on corner entry? Have you tried a softer front tyre / 6 deg kick up / yellow front springs with the shocks set all the way inwards on the tower?
Yes, its corner entry, mid and exit It will do a 180 on full power at top speed if the main straight goes in to a fast sweeping corner and I turn a little too much...

We have tried Sweep 33 and 40 on the front (25 on rear), and it is worse with 33 on the front. Not sure what you mean by 6 deg kick up? We have harder springs on the front compared to the rear, I can't remember which colour. Yes we have laid the shocks down on the front too.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes, its corner entry, mid and exit It will do a 180 on full power at top speed if the main straight goes in to a fast sweeping corner and I turn a little too much...

We have tried Sweep 33 and 40 on the front (25 on rear), and it is worse with 33 on the front. Not sure what you mean by 6 deg kick up? We have harder springs on the front compared to the rear, I can't remember which colour. Yes we have laid the shocks down on the front too.
The kickup is changed with the part that holds the inner front hinge pins, 4,5 and 6 deg can be used and effectively changes the castor also. You could have too much steering with the hard front springs and the rear could be collapsing and letting go with a spring thats too soft, try really soft springs (Tamiya red) on the front and a harder spring on the rear (Tamiya blue or yellow)
Old 10-02-2019, 03:54 PM
Tech Addict

Kind of sounds like a too much wt transfer, reduce droop. I still think the rebuild and measure accurately to ensure its built to spec, matched left to right and so on. Good luck and report back on results.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:28 AM
Tech Initiate

+1 for putting softer springs on the front.
I’ve used reds front, yellow rear for sometime now with no issues.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

have you been able to get on top of your problems ?
Old 10-23-2019, 12:59 AM
Tech Initiate

have you been able to get on top of your problems ?
Thanks for following up. Currently the M07 has been fully rebuilt and put back to box stock settings and is still awaiting another run out. I'll feedback once its had another run. I'm hoping it was something off in the build or some setup change we made that caused the problems.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here is my setup. This works very well for me and my driving style. I did many many tweaks and this is the best the car has run and can’t think of anything to change... I just need to be a better driver .. hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Many thanks ebohon, its something else to try should it still be a handful
Old 10-24-2019, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ebohon
Here is my setup. This works very well for me and my driving style. I did many many tweaks and this is the best the car has run and can’t think of anything to change... I just need to be a better driver .. hope this helps.
nice one, i will be running mine on black carpet this weekend and im sure my current low grip setup will be terrible.
couple of questions, sway bars you have as kit though the m07 doesnt come with any and the m07R only comes with a front? and tires are they the shimizu 60d range or 55d and could you explain your droop measureing method please
cheers
Old 10-24-2019, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

nice one, i will be running mine on black carpet this weekend and im sure my current low grip setup will be terrible.
couple of questions, sway bars you have as kit though the m07 doesnt come with any and the m07R only comes with a front? and tires are they the shimizu 60d range or 55d and could you explain your droop measureing method please
cheers
M07R comes with a rear swaybar - no front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.