Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree332Likes

1/12th scale rubber tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racermac73
I'm not quitting nor will I run rubber, I'll be on foam until i get tazed by the police and forced to leave.
We could make this happen.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
So, here is perhaps my dumb question of the day...

...what drove people to want Rubber??? Too lazy to True tires, do rollout, mount donuts, pay for foam???

perhaps some need to be reminded of the tire wars in the 90's lol.. good thing yall dont have to use a durometer!!!
R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Gravity Foam spec tire i did in foam tire thread

looking at tires/foams i see racers using on the new black carpet these days are rims with like 1-2mm worth of foam, lower traction compounds. for this type racing we maybe could see a 1-2mm rubber replacement should the traction provided by carpets become even greater

i have been told about the yokomo GT 500, by pro rubber guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KGb...JrZHtK&index=1 long shot calling this a 12th car
Old 12-05-2017, 01:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

With foams not working out of the box on black carpet maybe there’s another option that will like rubber tire that’s truable then you have the option for tire size
Old 12-05-2017, 02:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Foams work much better than any rubber tire out of the box.

Next you guys are gonna ask for someone to drive the damn thing for the newbs.

I have a better idea. All the kind hearted do guiders quit being soft on this false narrative about “newcomers”scared to enter the foam
Tire classes.

It’s unproven bs. Anyone can borrow an old hats truer and they’d be glad to mentor the new racers on setup. Kids that want to come into to RC will regardless.

Quit trying to sugarcoat reality to the new people coming in you are doing them a disservice. And you are doing a bigger disservice to the folks already in.

I swear the baby gloves in these forums are just amazing.

I’m surprised any kids nowadays can function as designated male or females the way people “think” they need to be treated.

Oh wait. They don’t designate their sex anymore... Wtfo?
Jack Kloeber and No9 like this.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

OK! But how do you really feel?
Antimullet likes this.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:02 AM
No9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This would have to be one of the most ridiculous threads i have ever come across on rctech.

1/12 is one of the most enduring formats of Rc racing there is.
Truing tyres's and calculating roll outs is apart of it and is what sets this class apart from others.

1/12 has a smaller following not because of foam tyre's or having to true them but because it appeals to a vastly different demographic.
We all have a level of ocd for lack of better words,we enjoy the technical nature of setup that this chassis provides and we enjoy the challenge of fine tuning,testing different tyre's,trying different roll outs and so on.

If you are not willing to put the time in then this is not the class for you.
Stick to touring car chassis's with tyre warmers,sanders,shock pumps,tyre ballancers and all the other garbage required to be competitive.

If you honestly need rubber tyre's on your 1/12 because foam tyre's and truing is just to hard them your problems lie elsewhere.
JLock, vr01, Serzoni and 4 others like this.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by No9
If you honestly need rubber tyre's on your 1/12 because foam tyre's and truing is just to hard them your problems lie elsewhere.
AMEN!
Antimullet likes this.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

FREE THE FOAM!
Antimullet likes this.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

The foam army is alive and well. Lol
No9 likes this.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As someone who is on the outside & not necessarily looking to get into 1/12 yet... there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of a rubber-tire pan car. Not everyone wants to deal with Touring Cars, and the smaller size of a 1/12 car allows them to be raced in some tighter locations. Not all regions have places for a large indoor carpet track.

I realize most of you guys have been doing it a while & are very experienced, but this is just something to keep in mind. Back in the 80s when I was growing up, my dad & uncle raced 1/12 in a very tiny YMCA room, because that is all they could fit. And they had several classes of them there.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

for those who want a simple small car that's cheap, easy to deal with, and that runs on rubber tires.......there is already something available for you.....Tamiya Mini.

Fact is, 1/12th scale is just not a good choice for the timid. While the cars look ultra simple, that is simply not the case. And it's exactly why those of us who run 1/12th scale love it so much. Besides, now that striped spec foam tires have become the norm........that relatively recent phenomenon has removed a whole lot of the pain, expense, and uncertainty from running a solid competitive 1/12th scale program. It took a very long time to get the established 1/12th scale community to embrace the spec foam tires, but now that it has happened (and worked out to just about everybody's benefit), can we please leave will enough alone and just stick with running the striped spec foam tires on our beloved 1/12th scale cars? The spec tires work great and they last a long time. What's not to like?
JimmyMac, joey, No9 and 3 others like this.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

they dont like that they cant win. but little to they know the cream will always rise to the top and if you werent the fastest in one, you probably wont be the fastest in another. learn how to setup your car and stop making excuses.
No9 likes this.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I find it ironic that USGT racers are talking about foam tires and 1/12 pan car racers are talking about rubber tires.

The tire manufacturers must be loving this!

Old 12-05-2017, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Josh Keller
Not to take the thread off topic, but would there be any interest in tires trued to a useable/raceable diameter, out of the package? Example, spec/lilac tires trued to 42mm rear and 41mm front (or whatever diameter is more popular). Would it be worth the effort for an individual or company to do so?
We have very low margins now selling tires, which makes this impossible due to more effort required which drives up the cost. To think people will pay to have trued tires, forget it. Everyone measure tires differently and that will start another can of worms.

Before some ask, each tire mfg. is trued differently by a stone. I wont speak for BSR that mounts my foam but for them to true mine to a specific size and then change for other wheels that they mount is not possible. It is very labor intensive to true the wheel and tires for multiple mfg.'s. Trueing for large qty's is different than truing on your own personal tire truer. We have to shape the wheel and the foam.

The answer is to leave 1/12 alone and change nothing.

Steve Dunn
Pro One Tires
GrandeGixxer, biz77, No9 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by sdunnmcp; 12-05-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: edit
Old 12-05-2017, 11:31 AM
No9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Here's what Alexander Hagberg had to say when asked why 1/12 was his favourite class.

People keep asking me why 1/12 is my favourite class. It’s simple really! The simplicity. The finesse in the small details. How affordable the cars are. That you don’t need a huge track to run them. That the cars TURN and have GRIP. They look great. They are easy to work on. The satisfaction of driving a well handling 1/12 pan car is simply the best you can get out of R/C car racing in my opinion! And on the other hand, it can also be the most frustrating when you can’t get it right! But I guess that’s the beauty of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.