Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW! PROTOform Speed 12B

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AdrianM

When this happens a guess the Brits will have to start racing with no body shells
SPOT ON!
Old 01-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hopefully the BRCA are moving towards freeing up the rules on bodyshells, I know our Modified list has been changed for the coming year (No offence Dale, but a field of Dodge 2.0's is a bit boring ).
Hopefully this will filter to other sections over here.

Trust us brits to be picky about realism eh... We want performance, but also realistic looks. Typical

Later
Ed
Is BRCA doing this for the drivers?......Or for themself?.........
Old 01-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

acyrier:
I don't know if we ever have included window masks with the recent 1/12th body styles. The windscreen area has so much compound curve (on recent styles) that doing it in one piece is pretty much impossible to install - and even a two piece mask would be a pain. I'll look into it though.
Tryhard Ed:
have you ever checked out these sites:
http://www.the-paddock.net/
http://prototyp.org/links/
Anders:
Who does the BRCA enforce the body rules for? Good question. I have no answer to this. Seems like tunnel-vision on the part of a few influential officials there. It's like they are trying to protect the "sanctity" of what they think rc cars should look like. As the look and shape of full size production cars as well as racecars continue to evolve and get more radical, they appear to really like things the way they were in the early 90's. I think that they're proud to be the "last bastion" for realism in the world. Problem is, the rest of the world is marching forward without them - figuratively speaking. As manufacturers, we've got to figure out how to stay in business and that means that we've got to listen to what the customer wants. If the markest was to swing toward those wild-n-wooly DTM bodies - guess what, we'd have to start producing them. Hope I don't offend anyone with my opinions. The BRCA is a great organization - one of the best in the world impo at what they do. There's a few officials that just need to see the "big picture" for the benefit of all.

Dale - PROTOform
Old 01-31-2006, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Dale, The touring car section has loosened it's rules up quite a bit now, the Mazda has been allowed for this year which wasn't on last year's rules. To be honest, i think most shells could be passed on the new rules. You are quite correct about previously being stuck in the past - it was the elligibility officer that actually proposed the rule change, as he felt that the old rules weren't allowing him to allow any of the newer shells.

However, as for 12th scale, well yeah it has become a "spec class" for shells now. Makes it easier for drivers i guess as you only need 1-2 shells. Having said that, there is at least one that personally i think looks nothing like real, but we all run it!!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Default An average American 12scale racer

Dale,

Very broad statement covering a large group of devoted racers. I for one will continue to purchase Josh's LMP because I like the body enough to spend U.S. $ on the this type of body. And if you decide to get with it I might start to buy your 12scale bodies again?

An average American 12th scale racer.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

where can we get one? want one for the birds but noone has then in stock
Old 01-31-2006, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I bet the track side shop (Superior Hobbies) will have them at the race.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I bet the track side shop (Superior Hobbies) will have them at the race.
What about the people not going to the birds that would like to get some of these? Release the body and then can't get any??????
Old 01-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

come on adrian, give us the hook up. I won't tell a sole.

That is your back yard.

Either that or the stock 1/12 mains will be full of single color bodies. lol
Old 01-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Tech Rookie

I feel I have to step in here and defend the BRCA.
I am the Chairman of the 1/12 section of the BRCA, I race at all the UK 1/12 nationals and have done for many years.
The body shell list that we have for 1/12 circuit cars was created by racers for racers.
The process we use to approve a shell is a simple majority vote from the 9 or so drivers who make up the BRCA 1/12 section committee. If 5 or more of them think it is a reasonable representation of a real car then it is approved for use. All we are doing is ensuring the rules as voted on by the British drivers at BRCA AGM’s are applied in a fair manner.
If the drivers want unrealistic shells then they have to come along to the annual meeting and vote to change the rules to allow unrealistic shells.

This is pretty much the case with EFRA as well, except that one person decides weather it is a good representation. I believe this person now in EFRA is a good friend of Anders Myrberg, I suspect the list will grow to include some previously unapproved shells.

For your information the relevant rules from each of the rulebooks are here,

IFMAR
The body shell must be a reasonable, realistic, facsimile of the full-size car on which it is based, with particular attention to realistic height, cockpit area, scoops, vents, wings and aerodynamic devices.

ROAR
Bodies used in ROAR-sanctioned events must resemble vehicles used in full scale racing.

EFRA
The body must be a 1/12 replica of an actual racing car in all areas.

BRCA
The essence of the sport of radio controlled car racing is competition between realistic models of racing automobiles.

ALL these rules say that the body shells should be replicas of real cars, if you don’t like this then get the rules changed, don’t take the p*** out of the system the drivers put in place.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd honestly like to see us using more "real world" car bodies. GT type like the JGTC, LMP, Aussie Super V8s, British BTCC and German DTM. I feel a return towards the "modeling" aspect would be a nice change of pace in this hobby.

Touring and most 1/12th shells have simply gotten out of control and plain-ass ugly. Lets see our cars dressed in some better clothes for a change.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Glad to hear you support me in my thoughts!
Old 01-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
Is BRCA doing this for the drivers?......Or for themself?.........
Anders

In the BRCA 1/12 scale we are drivers!

Russ
Old 01-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TryHard
woo... another Mulsannes Corner fan
Hopefully the BRCA are moving towards freeing up the rules on bodyshells, I know our Modified list has been changed for the coming year (No offence Dale, but a field of Dodge 2.0's is a bit boring ).
Hopefully this will filter to other sections over here.

Trust us brits to be picky about realism eh... We want performance, but also realistic looks. Typical

Later
Ed
Ed

You are more than welcome to come to the 1/12 section annual meeting and propose a modification of the rules.
See you there?

Russ
Old 01-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Addict

Russ;
My comments in post #78 pertained only to sedan bodies, and not 1/12th scale bodies. My opinions were formed only after many, many e-mails and discussions with a few representatives of the BRCA over the period of years. It's great news to me when I hear that there are changes in the wind. Until the last day or two (thanks to the internet), I have had no knowledge of these "body criteria" changes. I'm kinda feeling totally out of the loop. It all sounds like positive news to me.
On the 1/12th scale side of things - it certainly sounds like you/they have a great system in place for the homologation of 1/12 bodies. Keep up the good work.

tdu verney & Soviet: hey - I'm in your corner believe me. I just never meet or hear from guys like you here in N. America. However, I hear a lot from the guys who just want to go fast - at any cost.

cheers - Dale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.