190mm vs 200mm On-Road EP classes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

190mm vs 200mm On-Road EP classes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 03:44 AM
Tech Adept

Default 190mm vs 200mm On-Road EP classes?

Hi I'm looking for a rundown of the some of the RC car classes i've seen. More so for different car type classes not motor specs (stock/ mod/ etc). For 1/10 EP on-road I have seen a 190mm car and a 200mm car. What are the unique points/ pro's of each car chassis class vs each-other.

I've seen serpent have a Serpent NATRIX 748-e which is the 1/10 scale electric powered 200mm racecar, then they have the 411 Eryx which is 190mm (which appears WAY more common). Should i assume these cars are always racing in different classes and never meet on track (under normal circumstance)?

- Are 200mm cars generally a foam tires and is this the class that runs more realistic body shells/ wheels (i.e. GT class?)? Is this class often run on asphalt or mainly carpet? Do most manufacturers make 200mm cars as i've only seen a few?

- Are 190mm cars generally a rubber tire/ asphalt class cars as per the usual I've seen (Mazda 5 shells, disc wheels)? Is there a 190mm class with realistic body's (GT class)? Is 190mm the most popular class of on-road worldwide?

- Of the two above in the same scenario/ motor/ etc, which is faster on the track? Is 200mm class common in many places as in Asia I've see 190mm cars being the norm?

- Where would 1/10 pan car (with GT bodies) fit in the mix speed and popularity wise vs the above?

- Speaking of Pan Cars it appears the premier main EP pan car class is 1/12. Would this be a correct assumption?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2016, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

If not mistaken the 200mm Touring car is gas power and the 190mm is electric and therefore they would not race in the same class.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:05 AM
Tech Regular

yes, the 200m and 190mm is both different classes. 190 is the limited width of a 1/10 electric touring car. the 200mm is the width of 1/10 Nitro classes, the electric is just a conversion of the 200mm.

200mm cars are generally foam tires only. the 190mm offers more realistic bodys. 200 is always run on aspgalt as they destrot the carpet with their nitro engines(probably) there are a fewer manufacturers for 1/10 200mm than 190mm.

I would say that 190 class is the most popular onroad class right now. we use rubber tires on both asphalt and carpet with 190mm bodys.

a 190mm is faster on track with same tires as a 200mm.

i think 1/10 pan cars have a long way to go in popularity worldwide were 1/10 touring class is the king. But this also depends on area, in the US pan cars are very popular.

cheers// www.andrefossto.wordpress.com
Old 12-16-2016, 05:17 AM
Tech Lord

the 200mm cars are converted gas cars, in the past (as with most conversions) started by people who also want to run these cars on moments no noise polution can be made but also by people who can not understand a nitro engine.

Today some brands do make a dedicated electric version or provide a conversion kit. But there is no real race class for it. Well... electric 1/8 buggy there is and for 1/8 onroad organisations are promoting it, but nothing for the 200mm.

You also have to be aware the 200mm cars do run with 2mm smaller front tires so no rubber tires can be runned unles you try to fix the transmission for an all 4 equal size tire.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:49 AM
Tech Regular

Yes the 200mm scale came from nitro sedans, but they are the standard for VTA and USGT
electric classes now. A true sedan body like the Speed 6 is for a true 190mm. One of the body designers recently said they shoot for clearance in the wheel wells to be around 196 mm so you can run any body by swapping the wheel hex. Usually having both 4mm and 6mm wheel hexes will cover it. Most scale 200mm bodies fit everything, but a few supercar bodies are pan car only, like the Protoform Sophia and the HPI Pagani Zonda and the group C cars. They hit the front shock towers on a sedan.

1/10 200mm Pan cars are the WGT and WGT-R cars. The WGT with spec foam tires was the probably the best handling cars. They were easy and fun to drive fast. You need a tire truer that cost several hundred dollars to run the class and that killed it. The WGT-R can't be hucked into a corner like a foam tired can, but the rubber tires tires last all year. So that is the class now.
A foam tire truer is the only thing the Chinese can't clone.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

??? Intek? or Integy? had a cheapo truer. Local track has 3 of them. Even Ebay has some cheapo's:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Racing-Auto...4AAOSw7hRWQGyY

No idea why some people got so wussified around truers. Way, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier and cheaper than gluing 1/10th and 1/8th offroad tires. I actually enjoy trueing tires.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Agree with the tire truer comment Zerodefect. If it were true 1/12th scale would be dead and it's actually gaining popularity at our track, plucking participants from 17.5 TC. I let anyone who needs it borrow my truer at the track on race days.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
??? Intek? or Integy? had a cheapo truer. Local track has 3 of them. Even Ebay has some cheapo's:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Racing-Auto...4AAOSw7hRWQGyY

No idea why some people got so wussified around truers. Way, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier and cheaper than gluing 1/10th and 1/8th offroad tires. I actually enjoy trueing tires.
Thanks, that's a nice truer, but $225 + $86 shipping still seems like several hundred to me. Most guys I know are waiting for something around $150.

I do miss foam tires though. They just feel better with my driving style. Must be the 30,000 laps I ran in 13.5 foam sedan before the class went away.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eddie_E
Thanks, that's a nice truer, but $225 + $86 shipping still seems like several hundred to me. Most guys I know are waiting for something around $150.

I do miss foam tires though. They just feel better with my driving style. Must be the 30,000 laps I ran in 13.5 foam sedan before the class went away.
If you keep an eye out on here they pop up in the classifieds every once in a while for under $200 shipped for an Integy or Ofna. A tire truer is one of the few things you can buy in this hobby, use for a while and turn around and sell it without taking much of a hit.