Search
Like Tree867Likes

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ghosty
Guys were doing it so i Tried it to see if it was an advantage or if it should be outlawed found there was no difference and went back to normal for me.
I heard putting the left front tire in the right front side for 3 seconds then back to the left side works very well but you have to hold the truck upside down while doing jumping Jax . (Insert sarcasm here)

I don’t get it is a bone stock class build and set it up as instructions
Pit-racer, ghosty and gigaplex like this.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I heard putting the left front tire in the right front side for 3 seconds then back to the left side works very well but you have to hold the truck upside down while doing jumping Jax . (Insert sarcasm here)

I don’t get it is a bone stock class build and set it up as instructions
lol I agree. guys want to try and get the most out of it that they can. there are a few at our local track that cant understand how some are so much faster. I tell them take my truck and see how different it is.(i even at one point offered $100 to find what is illegal no one took me up on it) it really comes down to just drive the thing. I do no maintenance on mine it just sits until I run it unless I break something.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

Ghosty, can you describe the driving style a bit more for those of us slow guys. So far my best at your track actually in practice has been a 14.5, which near as I can tell puts me about 1 - 1.5 secs. off the fast guys on average. I am not the best driver hence why I am asking.

I'd say my best 14.5 was kind of a point and shoot style, full throttle heading into turn hard brake coast through turn and throttle out. The infield it tough though.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Teamrule
Ghosty, can you describe the driving style a bit more for those of us slow guys. So far my best at your track actually in practice has been a 14.5, which near as I can tell puts me about 1 - 1.5 secs. off the fast guys on average. I am not the best driver hence why I am asking.

I'd say my best 14.5 was kind of a point and shoot style, full throttle heading into turn hard brake coast through turn and throttle out. The infield it tough though.
slower is faster. let the truck roll more through the corners,no brakes unless you are about to crash. and learn to drive it on 2 wheels. keep in mind also if you are looking at the others guys fast laps that is just one lap.look more at the average laps. consistency will win over one fast lap.and fyi there are no slow guys. anyone that can make it around the track is fast in my book. come say hi when you are there next.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks, I noticed that, if I could string together consistent 14.5's (I can't yet) I'd be in thick of it which is fine by me. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Make sure you motor is clean and has fresh oil... it’s amazing how they like to be clean. A good 500-1000 rpm
Old 11-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, I noticed that, if I could string together consistent 14.5's (I can't yet) I'd be in thick of it which is fine by me. Thanks.
yup you would be right there.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

There's not a whole lot of secrets to making these trucks work well, even on black carpet. Most of them have already been mentioned in this thread numerous times-

1. Glue the very edge of the sidewall. There's a texture on the tire in the area that I'm referring to. This helps on both grey and black carpet.
2. Water dip the motor to break it in.
3. If bearings are the only hopup, remove the grease from them and use really thin bearing oil.
4. Don't just slap the kit together. Just because it's a cheap kit doesn't mean that it deserves a cheap build. Make sure that everything rotates and moves freely like you would with any other racing kit.
5. Drill the body holes so that the body can float around on the post.
6. On the front body clips, don't use the hole closest to the body. Use one hole up so the body can bounce without taking the chassis with it.

Bonus tip- Don't overdrive the things. You can't pitch these things into a turn or flog them around the track and expect them to handle like a regular touring car. Use the brakes and baby them through the turns. Smooth is fast.

I've tried the upside down shock thing, and the fluid still leaks out because the top end is still 3 pieces. Even with 100k in them, it really didn't help the handling compared to the stuff above. Also, the more the trucks are raced, the better they handle. I think it's the slop that develops absorbing some of the bouncing and vibrations. My son's truck is about 6 months old, and it handles great. People at Minnreg kept asking me what I did to the truck to make it handle and stop bouncing this past weekend, but I haven't done anything other than the info above.

K.I.S.S. method prevails in this class.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

(My truck is the red/yellow/blue RedBull scheme)
GrandeGixxer, eR1c and Rodarbal like this.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Serzoni,
-you said it all perfectly!

The big thing is driver skill too. I swear our fastest guys could get anything around the track faster than anyone else. I've watched them do it over and over in every class. Its no different in the truck class. They just drive more consistently and a shorter line. In fact I even saw our top driver out drive another guy who had a brushless setup in his Euro truck. It was our first race of the season, he was a new guy and didn't know the rules and somehow no one tech'd his truck. He had nice oil filled shocks, a brushless 21.5t and some higher CC rated lipo ...his truck was super fast. You could see that it wasn't stock and it was screaming on the track. Everyone called foul and we knew, (it was all handled professionally), yet our top drive w/ the bone stock Truck was still out driving him, really creating distance through all the turns. It was actually quite cool to watch as it was true driver skill that out did hop ups. (That other driver since got his truck to stock setup and is a super cool guy, he just didn't know and no one told him).
NutDriver likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by eR1c
Serzoni,
-you said it all perfectly!

The big thing is driver skill too. I swear our fastest guys could get anything around the track faster than anyone else. I've watched them do it over and over in every class. Its no different in the truck class. They just drive more consistently and a shorter line. In fact I even saw our top driver out drive another guy who had a brushless setup in his Euro truck. It was our first race of the season, he was a new guy and didn't know the rules and somehow no one tech'd his truck. He had nice oil filled shocks, a brushless 21.5t and some higher CC rated lipo ...his truck was super fast. You could see that it wasn't stock and it was screaming on the track. Everyone called foul and we knew, (it was all handled professionally), yet our top drive w/ the bone stock Truck was still out driving him, really creating distance through all the turns. It was actually quite cool to watch as it was true driver skill that out did hop ups. (That other driver since got his truck to stock setup and is a super cool guy, he just didn't know and no one told him).
Hmm weird seeing someone talking in 3rd person

Lol jk
Old 11-29-2017, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

I totally get it, I could put a 8.5T in it and still not be the track ringers, just wanted to make sure was not missing anything obvious and it does not seem so other than my driving.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

I totally get it, I could put a 8.5T in it and still not be the track ringers, just wanted to make sure was not missing anything obvious and it does not seem so other than my driving.
why stop there just throw a 4.5 and 14.4volts
Old 11-29-2017, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

I have been tempted just to build a mod one up to see if it would be faster but since I can barely keep it on 4 wheels now I worry it would be slower.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have been tempted just to build a mod one up to see if it would be faster but since I can barely keep it on 4 wheels now I worry it would be slower.
I have toyed with the same idea
Old 11-29-2017, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
why stop there just throw a 4.5 and 14.4volts
Nothing in the drivetrain would survive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.