R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Let's talk race formats (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/969477-lets-talk-race-formats.html)

jiml 11-30-2016 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by KE4PJO (Post 14752260)
I’ve been around the hobby for awhile, 30+years, and I’ve seen a lot of change. I miss some of the old ways, like two classes, stock and modified. But, it is what it is…lol.

That was back in the days when you could run anything you want, as long as it was 1/12 scale. :D

jlfx car audio 11-30-2016 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by KE4PJO (Post 14752260)
OK, here’s my 2 cents:
I’ve been around the hobby for awhile, 30+years, and I’ve seen a lot of change. I miss some of the old ways, like two classes, stock and modified. But, it is what it is…lol.
I like the controlled practice seeding rounds, it seems to sort talent levels very well.
I like triple A mains, especially for Modified. Not so much for the others.
I don’t like so many classes. Too many TC classes in the mix. A limit to three should be enough for most races. I’m thinking 17.5, 13.5 and open Mod. USVTA has several races a year for the VTA and GT classes. Just my opinion, don’t jump on it too hard. Lol
17.5 Amateur, no sponsored drivers..
13.5 Open to all
Modified hold on as best you can.

In the end entries are what drive the directors to have more classes , so killing off 2 classes only cause they are scale in look hurts the pockets of the event. But the middle ground classes are hurting more and more . And the guys running it seem to just be looking for extra track time first off . So the level of competition is all over the place in 13.5 tc. Not one run was it a fill heat last weekend . I know we thru 2 runs away (1 testing 17.5 setup, other sleeping) . Not to mention lap times are only .1-.2 faster with the new breed of motors .
But I'm all for usgt being the new stock class and 17.5 being the new superstock

ammdrew 11-30-2016 10:02 AM

Random sort rd 1, no seeding
Rd 2 sort 3 consecutive.
Rd 3 & 4 sort fastest over all

Shorter qualifier times, 3 min each class
Qual points. every round should count equal.

Mains longer then quals, i.e. 3 min 1/12 qual 8 min main.... 3 min sedan qual 6 min mains
Bumps or ladder both have every racer still racing for the top spot through the mains! Bumps work better when class counts are lower then 30.

DARKSIDE 11-30-2016 10:47 AM

Hmm good points.... Having USVTA classes at big races like the big 3 iic birds champs... Is overkill. I personally would like the same support for the official USVTA big 3 events Summit Southern and Asphalt, and possibly return of Scale.... I love that 60 racers ran USGT and 20+ ran USVTA and F1.... But having that same amount at half the cost is something I would love to see

EAMotorsports 11-30-2016 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by dawgmeat (Post 14752268)
There's no need for a National race to take entire week i.e. Snowbirds

The snowbirds has to because its basically two races in one (onroad and Oval). SO for the amount of people racing they get done with it pretty quickly.

EA

Chris Adams 11-30-2016 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio (Post 14751630)
1. 3 race days isn't a bad idea if entries are below 300 but if they are above that 3 days are either unfilling or very long days .
2. Again triple A-mains would be a chore on 3 day events but great for iic or birds.
3. Less classes !
TC
Usvta
Usgt
Stock
Mod
1/12
Spec (spec tires/17.5)
Stock (open tire 13.5)
Mod
4. Limited entries per class isn't a bad thing
5. Holding races at hotels are cheaper than civic center rentals I would imagine . But love I idea for sure !
Remember racing in parking lots in Memphis tons of intrest from people passing by .

How much can a big spot in a car show actually be? Dont people pay to get into those events? I doubt the car show charges much for a car to come in. It would be part of the entertainment for the weekend. I imagine at a big car show, people would be stacked up ear to ear to watch small cars battle it out at speeds they didn't even know could be possible.

Also, combine usvta and usgt into one scale class with one set of rules.

Limiting entries into few classes makes events more prestigious. This allows organizers to set up qualifying events. (Roar) This also allows for triple A-mains.

dawgmeat 11-30-2016 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports (Post 14752501)
The snowbirds has to because its basically two races in one (onroad and Oval). SO for the amount of people racing they get done with it pretty quickly.

EA

For the amount of days vs. the actual track time is not even feasible if you run 1 class. You literally have to run 2-3 classes just to get enough wheel time

RBLove 11-30-2016 12:38 PM

Reduce the class options. Things were a lot stronger and simpler when we had TC and 1:12. Back to the foam days.

TC x 3, 1:12 x 3, VTA, USGT, WGT, WGTR, F1, 235 pan, etc.... Too many classes.

EricPF 11-30-2016 01:49 PM

Qual Points
Triple Mains (double lower mains if time does not allow)
Less Classes
Handout motors for spec classes
Call driving penalties
3-day races the norm, 4 day only for large events (IIC, snowbirds, Reedy, USIC)

Basically all of these are in use by the ETS series, which consistently gets 300+ entries per event across only 3 classes.

I enjoy doing some races that have unique qualfying structures, like the SoCal Scale series we had in this area a couple years ago. It ran with a 2-minute qualifying session, taking your 3 best hot laps and adding them together to seed your races. Then 3x 10 minute mains. It was a blast, but its something I would like for the odd event, not as the norm.

EAMotorsports 11-30-2016 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by dawgmeat (Post 14752517)
For the amount of days vs. the actual track time is not even feasible if you run 1 class. You literally have to run 2-3 classes just to get enough wheel time

I dont feel this is true. I get more practice at the snowbirds than any other big race I attend. The only exception could possibly be the US Indoor champs last week. But most of the practice there was on new carpet. Once racing started there was no time between races to practice like there is each morning at the birds. I do agree that its better for the Birds to run 2 classes so you can get more track time on the layout. But there Ive never left the birds and thought many I needed 1 or 2 more runs to get my car good. Other races yes I say that all the time that I needed more track time.

EA

EAMotorsports 11-30-2016 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by EricPF (Post 14752614)
Qual Points

Basically all of these are in use by the ETS series, which consistently gets 300+ entries per event across only 3 classes.

The problem that most here dont realize is with the ETS there are 300+ entries because most of the countries involved in it over there are basically within 6-7 hours driving time of each track. If every RC Racer here in the US was in a 6-7 hour driving distance of a race I am sure you would sell it out in days too.

The spread of racers for the ETS is a lot closer than the US base of racers distance wise.

EA

patorz31 11-30-2016 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Adams (Post 14752506)
How much can a big spot in a car show actually be? Dont people pay to get into those events? I doubt the car show charges much for a car to come in. It would be part of the entertainment for the weekend. I imagine at a big car show, people would be stacked up ear to ear to watch small cars battle it out at speeds they didn't even know could be possible.

Also, combine usvta and usgt into one scale class with one set of rules.

Limiting entries into few classes makes events more prestigious. This allows organizers to set up qualifying events. (Roar) This also allows for triple A-mains.

You would be surprised at the cost, I am planning a race at new car show. The space for the track and pits is probably going to run $15-20K, my dealership group will probably pay for it as I can brand the whole race with my dealership brands.

EricPF 11-30-2016 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports (Post 14752644)
The problem that most here dont realize is with the ETS there are 300+ entries because most of the countries involved in it over there are basically within 6-7 hours driving time of each track. If every RC Racer here in the US was in a 6-7 hour driving distance of a race I am sure you would sell it out in days too.

The spread of racers for the ETS is a lot closer than the US base of racers distance wise.

EA

Right, my point was more that its successful with only a limited number of classes. 300 entries at a US race are usually made up of 100-150 guys running 2 or 3 classes each, spread out across 10 classes. At ETS, very few racers run more than one class and guys will go race even if they know they're going to be in the K main. I'm not sure American racers would go for this.

Racer Z 11-30-2016 05:11 PM

As someone who doesn't get to go to all the races i would say 2 out of the 3 "BIG" races this year have been a disappointment. If a major event doesn't have live national coverage with video, sponsor sheets for recognition and so on then im sorry.. its not a major event. Its hard to believe in this day and age both of the Ohio major events dont even have what half of the clubs/tracks in the united states have. Im really not on a ranp but its super disappointing and feel like people have really dropped the ball on this.

gigaplex 11-30-2016 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by EricPF (Post 14752821)
Right, my point was more that its successful with only a limited number of classes. 300 entries at a US race are usually made up of 100-150 guys running 2 or 3 classes each, spread out across 10 classes. At ETS, very few racers run more than one class and guys will go race even if they know they're going to be in the K main. I'm not sure American racers would go for this.

I'm not sure running 2 classes with 10 mains each is any better than 4 classes with 5 mains each. The wait between rounds would be the same, and as a spectator, it's far less interesting.