Wiki Posts
Search

Lubing alu. screws

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Lubing alu. screws

HI

I was just wondering if it is important to lube aluminum screws if your using aluminum screws like brand new?

thanks
Old 01-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I don't know if you need to, and I have never tried it but for some reason chapstick jumped in my mind as a great lube for that purpose. Try it and tell us what you find : )
Old 01-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

thats the thing i never really did use lube for alu screw nieter for steel or titanium

so i was wondering if i need to?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When screwing ino an aluminum bulkhead, you should NEVER use aluminum screws. They will bond if overtightened and you will strip them when trying to remove them in the future. You should use steel screws in aluminum bulkheads and aluminum in plastic...if you can help it.

If you have only aluminum screws...lube them with a drop of light oil before screwing into metal bulkheads.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

If you are using anodized aluminium screws, usually the anodizing will keep the screws from seizing in the aluminium part. Aluminium or steel screws can seize inside an aluminium part, so I usually put a dab of silicone lube (like diff lube) on screws that I am tightening into aluminium parts like bulkheads. I know lots of people who use aluminium screws in aluminium parts all the time without any problems, but I just do it for an extra measure of protection.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Soviet
When screwing ino an aluminum bulkhead, you should NEVER use aluminum screws. They will bond if overtightened and you will strip them when trying to remove them in the future. You should use steel screws in aluminum bulkheads and aluminum in plastic...if you can help it.

If you have only aluminum screws...lube them with a drop of light oil before screwing into metal bulkheads.

im only using it on plastic (MOLDED GRAPHITE AND CARBON) so i dont have to lube them right?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

There's a material called No-Alox that you could find in an Ace type hardware store, in the electrical dept. Could be under different names, but it's used between Al/Cu to stop galvanic action. It works between Al/Al as well in our bulkhead situations.

Jacko
Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

The best thing to use on alum to alum is anti-seize. You can find it at a bolt and screw distributors. Or http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...Code=antiseize
Old 01-10-2006, 06:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by anthony390
im only using it on plastic (MOLDED GRAPHITE AND CARBON) so i dont have to lube them right?
There is no metallurgic problem with aluminium screws in plastic, but you don't want to screw an aluminium screw into a composite part that has not been tapped with a steel screw or a threaded tap first. Aluminium screws are usually not strong enough to be used as "self-tapping" screws and will break or strip if you try to use them to cut threads. Some people use lubricants (or even bar soap) the first time they thread a screw into stiff molded composite parts to make threading easier and reduce the chance of stripping screw heads or breaking screws while tightening them.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Ace
There is no metallurgic problem with aluminium screws in plastic, but you don't want to screw an aluminium screw into a composite part that has not been tapped with a steel screw or a threaded tap first. Aluminium screws are usually not strong enough to be used as "self-tapping" screws and will break or strip if you try to use them to cut threads. Some people use lubricants (or even bar soap) the first time they thread a screw into stiff molded composite parts to make threading easier and reduce the chance of stripping screw heads or breaking screws while tightening them.

i get it now

THANKS EVERYBODY for all the help