Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
maintaining BL motor and Novak GTB issue? >

maintaining BL motor and Novak GTB issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

maintaining BL motor and Novak GTB issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Default maintaining BL motor and Novak GTB issue?

Hi, i can't find a firm answer to my question so thought i'd ask here-

During a recent buy, I picked up at Novak GTB esc and a hobbywing Xerun 5.5T motor (I think from around 2009 as it came with an 2009 era RC car). The items have been idle and not in use for some time and it appears the ESC is not working. When i plug it all in and turn the on/ off switch on, the light inside the ESC (and fan) came on for an instant then went out again and i couldn't get them back on (just seemed dead except a few quick times the light blinked).

- The on/off switch itself looks rusty. Do you think it is likely that the ON/ OFF switch itself is faulty? To be fair the guy who sold it to me seemed fair and did mention it worked last time but it had been idle for a long while (I doubt it had been blown up)...

- Can i use any other ESC On/ Off switch as the Novak switch isn't easy to buy (or can i buy any Novak switch)?

- Can i "hot wire" the ESC to run without the on/ off switch? Any downsides in doing so? **If anyone has a switch they can sell me please PM me.

- Is the Novak GTB considered a good ESC (the website said it can run ANY Turn motor which i assume means it's a good high-end unit)? Is it good for on-road racing and if so in what classes (is it legal and does it have a blinky mode)?

- Is there any other simple point I'm missing as to why it may not work?

- As the Xerun 5.5T motor is older (likely several years old); Do BL motors deteriorate with time and would newer 5.5T motors have a huge advantage? Anything i need to do to maintain the motor?

Thanks for any input!