Wiki Posts
Search

Which Brushless to get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1
I run mod touring car with brushless GTB System on a 5.5 Velocity.
I drive it smooth, and set TQ and First place finishes.
I tune 8x1 and 7x1 motors of all types and switch cars to run them.
The brushless is very competitive.
Any Speedo or motor will go to crap if you keep hitting things and this is what I heard Barry did at the Novak. People hit him as well.
In sedan I hit 120 on the motor and 125 on the speedo. It outruns 8s but it is a little outgunned by the 7s. Then their batteries go away.
On a high traction track, the brushless will not run with the brushed motors because of the power they use. 7s and 6s.
On my local track you can't put that kind of power down. So then the brushless looks like the dominant system.

In my offroad buggy (XXX-4) I run the 5800 with a GTB. Brushed motors can't race with us at all. We even run 10 minute mains.
Motor = 100 and the speedo = 90 degrees.

We blow them off and get ready for the next race. Repeak Lipos and clean the tires. Mostly just eat pizza.

BTW - I will run my 5800 against any 12T. It is that fast. If pushed it will pull a better gear as well. In the same car, I am limited to a 20 tooth pinion with my 12T of the past. My 5800 pulls a 22 tooth.

Nice to see Ernie here. I like your deal about ROAR!
I have horror stories of my own. I told my wife and she said it was hard to believe. I showed her your article and she understands now.

Go Trinity!
TEX
I agree with you Tex1, I too have had the same system and was very impressed with it. My only gripe is with the amount of brakes you can dial in. The tracks we race on here all end off a long straight (30-50meters) into a tight corner or a hairpin turn and you need to be able to pull the car up rather quickly, I tried compromising the racing line (backing off alot earlier and then using the brakes, but found this to be costing time on the track).

This is my only gripe with the system. I never had a thermal shutdown (racing in 60'C track temps and 32'C+ ambient temps). Speed wise it is very comparable to any tuned 8t on the market. Went up against a Checkpoint 7t on a med-high grip track and the checkpoint won out almost everywhere. It might be a different story once the 4.5 motor is released.

My 2cents worth.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:23 AM
Tech Adept

Default tex1

Tex...thanks for the kind words. Actually I have just contacted ROAR to see if there is any capacity I could help on.....I am really worried about the "saferty" of electric racing...

With inconsistent rules and battery companies basically releasing mah like new versions of "sliced bread" each week (sounds funny...this stuff coming from me of all people...ha ha) and the issue of testing brushless systems etc....I think we (the industry) need all the help we can get.

All the Best
Old 01-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Legend

Big "E"

Yeah , that last race it did`nt look so good , but its still early....

Kudo`s to you .....

Also great to hear you trying to get involve again with the electric`s...

That is really good news.....
Expect all my support towards your efforts....
Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Soviet
None...FEED THE MACHINE!!!...Buy a lathe...buy frak-tonnes of brushes...buy motors out the yin-yang!!!

For considering such a choice...the industry hates you...
Dude what about the DYNO! Don't you need one of those too?
I think in stock the brushed set-up will stay for awhile because there are people that love to spend alot of time tweeking them (great for them but I just dont want too), but I am seeing a movement of guys going to the brushed mod classes and the reasons seem valid. The mod classses (at least locally where I run) are less saturated, and most of the guys just want to focus on track time and car set-up. Is Tekin planning to release a brushless system anytime soon?
Old 01-18-2006, 02:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tex1, DirtyDog3375....
What are you running with your GTB systems? What kind of cells? Car? track type?

I ask because i find that i am severely underpowered with my GTB 5.5R againt checkpoints and V2 series motors. It doesn't help that my track run UPHILL in the technical infield and downhill on the straight.

Most of the fast guys run 9t's for practice to minimize maintenance, and 7t during a race. My GTB does not evne come close to the 9t's in practice trim.
I am using 3300mah GP's in good condition. Numbers around 1.75v...

Would love to hear any tips you might have. I LOVE my gtb.. and wouldn't dream of going back. But untill the 4.5R comes out i will have to like with being in the back of the pack.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AngryAsian
Tex1, DirtyDog3375....
What are you running with your GTB systems? What kind of cells? Car? track type?

I ask because i find that i am severely underpowered with my GTB 5.5R againt checkpoints and V2 series motors. It doesn't help that my track run UPHILL in the technical infield and downhill on the straight.

Most of the fast guys run 9t's for practice to minimize maintenance, and 7t during a race. My GTB does not evne come close to the 9t's in practice trim.

Would love to hear any tips you might have. I LOVE my gtb.. and wouldn't dream of going back. But untill the 4.5R comes out i will have to like with being in the back of the pack.

well here it is the 4.5 starts eo ship out at the end of the month

http://www.teamnovak.com/

Old 01-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Tech Addict

Dammit...

I want to know how fast the damn thing is. I can understand Novak's aversion to a war of numbers... but it does help to get a rough idea of how fast the motor is.

Who knows where i can get my hands on one?

Also... wonder if the new can design with the ribs is that much more effective at heat dissipation?

Any word on the release price?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AngryAsian
Tex1, DirtyDog3375....

Angry Asian,

My GTB with 5.5 was equal to any 8-9t brushed motor on the market. I too race on a track that goes up and down hill (although staright goes across the track - flat). I think it's your cells. I am not 100% sure about this, but I think voltage is important with the GTB. My cells are are at 1.195+ (these were the first batch of DC cells back in June 05).

The only reason why I got rid of my GTB is because I tend to use a bit bit of brakes (our tracks here have almost every turn as a hairpin!) and the GTB just doesn't supply enogh brake for my personal liking. If we had tracks which were more flowing, I would have persisted with the GTB.

From what Steve Weiss has said to me, the 4.5 motor should be very comparable to most mods going around. As I said eariler, my 5.5 with decent cells is most comparable to any 8t brushed motor.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:29 AM
Tech Addict

Hmmm.. thanks for the feedback mate.

I might borrow a friend's pack next time i hit the track and see how i go.
What kind of gearing are you using? Do you ever thermal the unit?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:20 AM
Tech Master

Never even come close to a thermal shutdown (and we race in pretty hot conditions - track temps around 55-60'C and ambient temps 25-35'C).
Old 01-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Tech Regular

Check out the novak site.
The 4.5 is coming out
Old 01-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

I run 12T mods but I'm sick of maintaining motors just wana keep running. Is this a good equivalent brushless system to 12Tmods? I think the esc can be used for brushed, Im new to brushless.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro....0.151.0.0.0.0
Old 01-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That one won't be able to keep up with 12 turns. The Novak GTB with the Novak Velocity 6.5 will be slightly ahead of the 12's. For the same money you can get the Novak Velocity 5.5 and it should keep up with an average 8t motor.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Tech Master

I hope that the 4.5 will be fast...I considered the 5.5 but after my 8turn brushed motor out gunnied a friend's car equiped with the 5.5,I was held back.

Hope there will be more versions Novak brushless coming out...From the looks of things can we get a 0.5R motor ?? Just kidding...
Old 01-25-2006, 04:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
That one won't be able to keep up with 12 turns. The Novak GTB with the Novak Velocity 6.5 will be slightly ahead of the 12's. For the same money you can get the Novak Velocity 5.5 and it should keep up with an average 8t motor.
I think that's too fast for me. I'd rather stick to something equivalent to 12's. Can you get a gtb with slower brushless motor? I dont know why people like to buy the fastest motor available if they can't control it. Sometimes slow is fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.