Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stangas
Hiya all... been reading this thread, but thought i would ask questions before i got to the end.. so apologies if mentioned.

I have a carbon fibre and alloy TT-01.. been using it with VTA class.

I do have a solid diff and a one way drive shaft.. so solid in the rear and one way up front (exact opposite to racing)

Can i put counter steer onto this thing?
from what i gather... i need to put a smaller tooth diff in the rear to make it rotate faster than the front diff?
is this even possible? anyone know of a diff with different teeth configurations?
ve been slowly upgrading my tt01 drift chassis for the last 2 years. and have a whole bunch of spare parts i need to get rid of. im currently waiting for my new steering linkages but once i install the new parts ill have a lot of stuff i would like to let go for cheap. I have 3racing=(Front one way, solid rear spool, adjustable suspension set F/R and aluminum front knuckles): Tamiya=(CF upper deck brace, sway bar w/mount F/R, Rear toe-in suspension hubs, aluminum ball bearing steering upgrade and a few other spare/option parts. also have many new Eagle racing spur gears, wide angle universals, and a few robinson racing pinion gears, Active hobby cs gears...etc If anyone is interested in any of these parts feel free to pm me. ill be taking pics and posting on the for sale forum once i get all the pieces together for a photo shoot and uploaded to photobucket. I got lots more too.

Originally Posted by Chiefy 707
The TT-01 is such a popular car, everything under the sun is available for it just about. I even found a hydrogen fuel cell conversion!
Anyways there are commercially available CS gearsets like this.

When you start going for the higher CS rates though then that's when you might want to start looking into higher angle steering and high angle CVD's.

You can overdrive the rear or underdrive the front to achieve CS.
wide angle universals, and cs gears are a good option as stated above.
Ive both underdriven the front as well as overdriven the rear for a really nice balanced throttle feel.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Badcompny44
Counter steer is when the rear tires are geared faster than the front. So 1.5 cs means the rear tires spin 1 and a half times when the front spins one revolution. It makes it easier for drifting because the back ends wants to spin out cause its faster than the front. Once people get good at 50/50 they usually cs there cars to do longer drifts and tighter tracks.
Thanks! I was thinking it had to do with the steering itself... lol...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Suspended

All those who are planning to buy new RC drifting cars for drifting should consider buying a good drifting car. It should be basically a rear-wheel drive and lightweight car. Some of the other qualities which are considered to be good for drifting include a high front to rear weight ratio, good horsepower and a light flywheel so the engine revs easier.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

anyone got links or part numbers for all three belts on a VDF2

I wanna order some spares
Old 03-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlesnitrotek
All those who are planning to buy new RC drifting cars for drifting should consider buying a good drifting car. It should be basically a rear-wheel drive and lightweight car. Some of the other qualities which are considered to be good for drifting include a high front to rear weight ratio, good horsepower and a light flywheel so the engine revs easier.
I kinda agree.

-Basically RWD = Something that can be Counter Steered (Making a car more RWD biased and behaves like a real 1:1 RWD Car)

-Lightweight- Many of the drifters I know in Japan and Abroad are using Aluminum arms, and other chassis components. Lightweight helps, but with the advances in CS Lipo and BL systems, a good chassis can help.

-Weight F vs R - many of the cars are moving from Rear motor to Front and or mid motor. With the right subtle adjustments, a car that was 50/50 setups can drift better with some changes.

There are some cheaper cars out there that HAVE made some changes. The new Belt driven Redcat is surprisingly decent. needs a BL system, but its got some potential. similarly, the OFNA JL10e is a mid motor car w/ potential. some of these aren't very expensive. The yokomo, Tamiya and other high end kits are nice, but a person on a budget can make a lower end kit work well with a few tweaks and tuning.

That said,

Anyone want to buy a Yokomo Drift Master chassis?

MOmo
Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

I was under the impression charlesnitrotek was talking about 1:1 real drift cars. Lightweight flywheels?

That said anyone looking to get a great drift car from the get go should really look into the MST MS-01 RTR. It's going for $290 on eBay and looks something like this:

This isn't my personal car but my buddy's wife's car. She wanted a car and this is what she got.
It's roughly $90 more than an E10 RTR but throw $90 in parts at an E10 and you still have an E10 with $90 more in parts. This car already has a front one way, rear spool, oil filled shocks, a Tamiya body, Futaba radio, and 60deg steering. It also doesn't hurt that this car is a budget MS-01, one of the better drift cars you can simply get. Anything else you get for this car is really just bling. I forgot to mention is also comes countersteered out of the box (somewhere in the 40% range)
Old 04-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The Drift Thread-image.jpg
Old 04-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

My drifter....gotta git tires for it tho before I can drift it haha
Old 04-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was under the impression charlesnitrotek was talking about 1:1 real drift cars. Lightweight flywheels?

That said anyone looking to get a great drift car from the get go should really look into the MST MS-01 RTR. It's going for $290 on eBay and looks something like this:

This isn't my personal car but my buddy's wife's car. She wanted a car and this is what she got.
It's roughly $90 more than an E10 RTR but throw $90 in parts at an E10 and you still have an E10 with $90 more in parts. This car already has a front one way, rear spool, oil filled shocks, a Tamiya body, Futaba radio, and 60deg steering. It also doesn't hurt that this car is a budget MS-01, one of the better drift cars you can simply get. Anything else you get for this car is really just bling. I forgot to mention is also comes countersteered out of the box (somewhere in the 40% range)

I was very close to buying that chassis looks like it drifts great out of the box. Instead I spent $400 buying two TT01's, and E and a D.

Still love them tho, the E has a front motor conversion and some rigged up steering that gives me like 50degree angle. Its awesome.

Ill post pics soon

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
My drifter....gotta git tires for it tho before I can drift it haha
Nice body, I almost feel like I got into this hobby too late. Noone barely post on this thread anymore
Old 04-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vroomin

Nice body, I almost feel like I got into this hobby too late. Noone barely post on this thread anymore
I kno what u mean man, I used to be into the whole drifting deal real big a while back, but sold off all my stuff, and I been huge into sc racing, and stadium truck, but I kinda missed sliding around and so forth so bought this one...and now I just mess around with it when I go places and ppl are like " how does it do that?? Lol
Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 AM
Tech Regular

It's not that no one posts on this thread anymore it's just that this thread sucks. No offense to anyone.

RC Tech is great for every other aspect of RC cars. There's a forum for basically every type. But when it comes to drifting, we only get a 'thread'? Drifting is more than a fad alot of racers thought it just be. It has a huge international following, what the hell gives?

If you're serious/curious about drifting sign up @ Driftmission. They have an awesome and friendly RC drift community. This is my favorite place to go.

Another active drift forum is CSJunkies. Sometimes this place may not be very friendly and they look down on 50/50 drifters, but alot of the guys there know their shi+.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Suspended

If you're serious/curious about drifting sign up @ Driftmission. They have an awesome and friendly RC drift community. This is my favorite place to go.

I went there and signed up...seems kewl lol
Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
I kno what u mean man, I used to be into the whole drifting deal real big a while back, but sold off all my stuff, and I been huge into sc racing, and stadium truck, but I kinda missed sliding around and so forth so bought this one...and now I just mess around with it when I go places and ppl are like " how does it do that?? Lol

lol the reaction is always priceless. I gotta try a stadium truck one day.

It's not that no one posts on this thread anymore it's just that this thread sucks. No offense to anyone.

RC Tech is great for every other aspect of RC cars. There's a forum for basically every type. But when it comes to drifting, we only get a 'thread'? Drifting is more than a fad alot of racers thought it just be. It has a huge international following, what the hell gives?

Another active drift forum is CSJunkies. Sometimes this place may not be very friendly and they look down on 50/50 drifters, but alot of the guys there know their shi+.

I hear you loud and clear my friend. It was a mission finding this thread yet every other style has a whole entire section dedicated to it!

Oh well atleast you 2 are here so ill post the pics lol

The TT01E

(I am learning as I go what the parts are but I think I got it down pretty well)

-front motor conversion
-custom steering arms ??
-hitec servo
-venom lipo battery with volt check
-motor heat sink
-ball bearings
-aluminum shaft
-titanium cvd's
-Adjustable upper arms (front and rear)
-One way
-Square solid rear diff
-Active Hobby CS gear (not installed, don't know how to)

The chassi and bodies

Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

The TT01-D

It's basically stock other than the "upgraded" tower hobbies remote and servo. I took the heat sink and moved it over to the E. I might do the same with the sport tuned motor but I feel like my E moves faster

Old 04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

finally the speedjunkie in me couldn't resist and I had to go out and get me a nitro

Old but runs like a champ

HPI RS4 EVO 3+ Drift spec

Bunch of adjustable parts that I don't know if they are stock or not and it has a driftbox which is pretty cool, acts like a gyro.

It had been sitting for years. I cleaned it up real nice, polished the exhaust, replaced fuel lines, cleaned out carb, new air filter and tuned it.
This was before cleaning and new filter

This was after

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.