Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Upon further review, I believe the spur gear is actually 48P. The teeth look to be spaced too far apart to be 64P. Be too easy if the manual or exploded view just gave me the pitch or at least the part number LOL. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.
I have an old MR4TC and its 48DP, no idea of part number tho, cant find the manual anywhere...
Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Onetrade
Thinking about getting my first car for drifting and have a few questions.

What is a good drift car kit to get?

Do you need a special ESC for drifting?

If I put on drift tires can i drift on any pavement or does it have to be on specially treated pavement?

I tried 1/8 on road Nitro but can't stand it, liked 1/10 2wd Electric off road but the closest track to me closed down recently and the next closest track has drifting and regular TC and drifting looks fun.
No special ESC is needed for drifting, anything BL or brushed will work.

Some common drift tires are Tamiya Drift Tech or HPI T-Drift, but they all drift on anything, no special treated pavement necessary.

A "drift kit" is not really necessary, they usually just include drift tires and maybe one or two hop ups. Any touring car will drift with the right tires. check out the new HPI Sprint 2, Yokomo Drift Package, and Tamiya TB-03D. those kids i mentioned are a step up from the TT01
Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by boza
No special ESC is needed for drifting, anything BL or brushed will work.

Some common drift tires are Tamiya Drift Tech or HPI T-Drift, but they all drift on anything, no special treated pavement necessary.

A "drift kit" is not really necessary, they usually just include drift tires and maybe one or two hop ups. Any touring car will drift with the right tires. check out the new HPI Sprint 2, Yokomo Drift Package, and Tamiya TB-03D. those kids i mentioned are a step up from the TT01
Thanks for the great explanation Boza, Can I drift an Associated TC6 by just adding Drift Tires? Would I need to reprogram the ESC in order to drift? Or is it really that simple to make a touring car a drift car?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 AM

Thinking about getting my first car for drifting and have a few questions.

What is a good drift car kit to get?

Do you need a special ESC for drifting?

If I put on drift tires can i drift on any pavement or does it have to be on specially treated pavement?

I tried 1/8 on road Nitro but can't stand it, liked 1/10 2wd Electric off road but the closest track to me closed down recently and the next closest track has drifting and regular TC and drifting looks fun.
Are you talking about NYC Hobbies?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the great explanation Boza, Can I drift an Associated TC6 by just adding Drift Tires? Would I need to reprogram the ESC in order to drift? Or is it really that simple to make a touring car a drift car?
Just put drift tires on. You can reprogram if it helps you drift better/easier, but just to drift just means changing tires.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Seanzky
Are you talking about NYC Hobbies?
I never heard of a NYC hobbies. LIR closed down. There is a Brooklyn hobbies in Brooklyn and a Brownies Hobbies in Staten Island.

I tried on road nitro but i have had it, i cant get it started, can't get the tuning of the motor down. I drove for 30 minutes to get to the FBF track and then when I got there I forgot the Glo-Starter. Then I went back for it and finally got back to the track the whole back and forth with traffic took 2 hours and then my started box was acting funny and I couldn't get my motor running.

With electric you switch the ESC to on and you GOOOO. All you have to worry about is having charged batteries lol. I want to get an on-road electric and was curious about drifting.

Nitro is awesome! But the headache just isn't worth it.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 PM

I never heard of a NYC hobbies. LIR closed down. There is a Brooklyn hobbies in Brooklyn and a Brownies Hobbies in Staten Island.

I tried on road nitro but i have had it, i cant get it started, can't get the tuning of the motor down. I drove for 30 minutes to get to the FBF track and then when I got there I forgot the Glo-Starter. Then I went back for it and finally got back to the track the whole back and forth with traffic took 2 hours and then my started box was acting funny and I couldn't get my motor running.

With electric you switch the ESC to on and you GOOOO. All you have to worry about is having charged batteries lol. I want to get an on-road electric and was curious about drifting.

I agree with you completely. That's why I switched to electric, too. I didn't really expect much from drifting but now I'm crazy about it. I just got mine for Father's Day and it so much less headache coming from nitro.

NYC Hobbies was on Myrtle. I guess they closed down. Damn shame. There were a bunch of nitro TC guys there.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

LOL. 1/10 TC is a lot of fun, but if you want to get faster and be competitive, there's a whole lot more to it than that. Learning how to set your car up is critical, but that will help you with any type of driving (including drifting I bet). As far as 1/8 fuel on-road, you went and jumped right into the big boys class right thar. 1/10 and 1/8 fuel onroad take big bucks and a lot of learning. Motor $ is bad enough, but tires will eat you alive! Check with your track and see if the 1/10 electric class is rubber tires, foams, or both. Some manufacturers have different versions of their cars depending on tires.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Addict

LOL. 1/10 TC is a lot of fun, but if you want to get faster and be competitive, there's a whole lot more to it than that. Learning how to set your car up is critical, but that will help you with any type of driving (including drifting I bet). As far as 1/8 fuel on-road, you went and jumped right into the big boys class right thar. 1/10 and 1/8 fuel onroad take big bucks and a lot of learning. Motor $ is bad enough, but tires will eat you alive! Check with your track and see if the 1/10 electric class is rubber tires, foams, or both. Some manufacturers have different versions of their cars depending on tires.
LOL I jumped right into the ocean with the sharks to learn how to swim. I couldn't even effin drive the damn thing, it was SICK though! so much power for the 5 minutes I drove it at 25% throttle lol. Now I want to get a TC and do not know which one, was thinking about TC6 or Xray and doing some drifting with it as well. A multi-purpose car I guess. Just change setups as needed.

off road electric 2wd was fun, but spent MAD money replacing broken parts. I would crash A LOT!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Both the cars you mentioned are excellent. Don't know about as drifters, but I'm sure they work for that too. Parts for AE cars are usually easy to get. Xray parts can be had too, but not usually in the LHS, have to go through RC America.

Boza, thanks for the vid you posted on 50/50 drifting v. CS drifting. The 5/50 isn't bad, but man, the CS cars just look so smooth. I gotta go see if I can find one of these dang AE servo mounts. Since I race SC10, B4, T4, and B44 (plus the B2 and T3 I still have LOL) you would think I'd have one spare somewhere that I could mod for the Yok. But noooo!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

About to pick up a used Xray T2 '07 from an rctecher. Gonna get all the electronics and throw on some drift tires, wish me luck lol
Old 06-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Good luck. I may be looking for a little of that myself LOL.

Question about camber. My car came with Yok ABS drift tires with the plastic ring in the middle. It says increasing camber makes the car harder to drift, because you're decreasing the ABS ring contact patch. Makes sense, but with a non-ABS tire (HPI or whatever) I assume it's the opposite and actually makes the car easier to drift?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Boza, thanks for the vid you posted on 50/50 drifting v. CS drifting. The 5/50 isn't bad, but man, the CS cars just look so smooth. I gotta go see if I can find one of these dang AE servo mounts. Since I race SC10, B4, T4, and B44 (plus the B2 and T3 I still have LOL) you would think I'd have one spare somewhere that I could mod for the Yok. But noooo!

Question about camber. My car came with Yok ABS drift tires with the plastic ring in the middle. It says increasing camber makes the car harder to drift, because you're decreasing the ABS ring contact patch. Makes sense, but with a non-ABS tire (HPI or whatever) I assume it's the opposite and actually makes the car easier to drift?
glad you found the video helpful

for normal t-drifts it can make it easier to slide because of less contact patch with the surface, but eventually they level off after a good slide session. Depending on the surface, its not always necessary. Also reducing contact patch also means introducing understeer at least on the front....
Old 06-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Oh yeah? Then you may be my go to guy for awhile. Got a spare small servo mount laying around LOL? There is an AE mount I think I can make work (AE7336) for the T2/T3 and TC5/6, but it's on back order.

Are you talking about the old MR4TC Worlds with the battery on the right side and the motor mounted sideways in left rear? I had a couple of those, sold them a couple years back for a guy to use in his middle school IT classes. Loved those cars. Rebuilt the shocks on the drifter last night, forgot how good Yok shocks are. Even these funky plastic ones with no bleeder cap are buttery smooth. Rebound isn't consistent, but never is with plastic shocks. If I keep it, shocks will be one of the first upgrades.
na! Here is the one im talking Bout! this is my main Chassis csed at 1.8

Old 06-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Care to show me what that servo mount looks like! I have a but load of Yoke Parts! If I dont have it! I think i have a mental picture of what part you need, If i dont have it, I think I know were to get it But I have to see what servo mount your talking bout first!

LMK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.