R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   The Dirt switched teams? Kinwald goes to Tekin? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/95030-dirt-switched-teams-kinwald-goes-tekin.html)

burbs 12-26-2005 07:59 PM

I used a tekin g 10 this year to Tq and place second at the noorca paved nats.. I guess i was using a old technology speedo .. exept if the tekin worked that well against what is out there now it just shows how far ahead they were at the time.. there new stuff is going to be as far ahead as the old.. look at there website. they have already put up some big wins and finishes..

its funny someone mentions there chargers being to old.. yet you go to any big race and walk the pits ill bet you see a bunch of CE turbo thirty's..How old are they??

I hope they do stay around.. Taking on a big name like kinwld shows they have grat intentions.. i doubt anyone would persue a big name to leave them out in the end..

dawgmeat 12-26-2005 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Yup...I have heard the stories :eek: :eek: :eek:

I started out with a Tekin ESC 300 almost 20 years ago. I had 411's, P12's and G12's. They were all great and never failed.

I am pulling for them but like other racers I would like to see some new era stuff. KO and Keyence have really raised the bar as to want a speedo can do and they are very small foot print units. I know Tekin can do it....they just need to do it.

Good Lord how old are you? :eek: :lol:

burbs 12-26-2005 08:13 PM

Also everyone keep s briging up its size.. if you notice every super small esc requires an external power cap.. most of them are huge.. the tekin does not require this.. Take you small esc and glue the big ole cap to the side then measure it.. its very similar in size..

The way i see it the smaller the esc the less quality it is.. yes it may perform well, but i have a buddy who runs mod.. Open up his desk drawer and you wil find at least 8-10 quantums that burnt up , as well as a few novaks..

the smaller speedos use les fets, but with a higher rating.. this means they have to work harder.. the tekin is filled with fets.. more fets less work and more efficiency...

i belive tekin also had the first programable esc ever..

MPrincip 12-26-2005 10:03 PM

I agree with Adrian...

After being a team driver for Tekin in the mid 90's running off-road. I always liked Tekin Products and NEVER ..I repeat NEVER had an issue with there chargers or there speedo's. And I ran the G-10 before they were available.

I am also pulling for the new owners of TEKIN to turn it around and wish them the best of luck. Novak was not Tekin's problem.. Kevin was Tekin's Problem. At one time Misami ran for Tekin.. Tony Neisinger used to run and work for Tekin. Over the years Tekin has done alot for the sport of RC.

I would like to see new development, some new designs or software for there chargers. But things take time.

PS: CE Turbo Thirties may be old.. but they do update there software to accomidate the with new cells.

Just my $.02 :D

Soviet 12-26-2005 10:14 PM

Don't get me wrong....I'm pulling for them...I really am. I'm just waiting a bit. :D

King of B Main 12-26-2005 10:18 PM

I dont think Bk would just put anything in his car. He must of tested it and believes it can put him in the winner circle.

mini-dub 12-26-2005 10:35 PM

There's something more to be said in the big esc vs small esc with cap argument... with a esc that requires a cap you can position the cap in any location you want. Heck you could put it on your bumper if you wanted :lol: . With a big speed control though, you cant just take 1/2 of the speedo and cut it off and put it on top of the case can you. I'm not saying I like big caps, but I'd rather have a small esc and a cap and a big esc and no cap.

As for Adrians age...... IIIIII'd say 42! :eek:

Keith Billanti 12-26-2005 10:41 PM

I am very intrigued with this whole deal. My first ESC was a Tekin back in 1992. I loved their chargers.. hopefully they are around for good. Actually, now that i think of it.. I think they still have a G10 of mine that dropped dead.. LMAO..

I am currently sportin all LRP stuff (chargers and esc's).. but maybe that will change..

KBpower

Brian McGreevy 12-26-2005 10:56 PM

KB, I gotta make sure I have a camera the next time you have a few beers in you...the champs was hilarious..

And yes...the new Tekin stuff rocks. The G11 Pro is every bit as advanced as any other speedo out, if not more. It is easy to use and has plenty of rip. Dirt wouldn't leave novak for a lesser product ;)

StephenSobottka 12-26-2005 11:38 PM

Yep, I like the fact that I can change as etting as I am gridding the car if something doesn't feel right on the practice lap. I had to use it for the last qualifier in 19t at Cleveland this year. Changing the settings is super easy.

kt racing 12-27-2005 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by mini-dub
There's something more to be said in the big esc vs small esc with cap argument... with a esc that requires a cap you can position the cap in any location you want. Heck you could put it on your bumper if you wanted :lol: . With a big speed control though, you cant just take 1/2 of the speedo and cut it off and put it on top of the case can you. I'm not saying I like big caps, but I'd rather have a small esc and a cap and a big esc and no cap.

As for Adrians age...... IIIIII'd say 42! :eek:

by the way if you have your cap on your bumper you might as well not even have one on the car. If the wires on the cap get longer than 2 inchs your decreasing the capability of the cap.
KT

Trixter 12-27-2005 05:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I started racing 1988, somewhere I aquired a Tekin TSC 410k, it is still in my C-10 Corally that gets brought out a couple of times a year to do some onroad stuff. I am currently running a TSC G12 in my TC3 and it has never given me one bit of trouble. I love their products. I also am still using my Tekin BC 112C charger and have a Turbo 30. On NiMh cells the Tekin does a great job. I'll send it in soon to get the software updated. I am sure that they will be around for the long haul, as I am staying in it too for the long haul. I am greatful to Tekin for their commitment to excellence.

Stefan Millay 12-27-2005 06:06 AM

I wonder what would happen if Novak was to go out of business for as long as Tekin did. Would their products still be used and still be winning races like Tekin did for so long. Tekin products never left the pit areas or the Amains. I applaud Tekin, the new owners and Scooter. They are doing an excellent job. The addition of Brian Kinwald will only amplify the direction Tekin is heading.

Keith Billanti 12-27-2005 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
KB, I gotta make sure I have a camera the next time you have a few beers in you...the champs was hilarious..

haha.. yah.. once in a lifetime opportunity.. you missed it.

KB

Scooter Tekin 12-27-2005 09:25 AM

Well I will have to step in say something. We are really happy about Brian signing with us. I have know Brian for a long time and I have always thought of him as one of the top drivers in the world. Brian is going to play a huge part with our new products that we are working on and will bring a wealth of knowledge to our team.

As for sticking around. The new owners Jim and Sherri are going to be here a long time. They have invested to much money, effort and time into this new company to see it just go away in a hurry. Besides, I won't let them!!! Tekin has made huge improvments in thier service and customer service areas. Just call them one day and you'll find out. No one knocked Tekin out of business but Tekin. Kevin was a great designer and that is all I am going to say.

As for just re-packaging old products. That was something we dicided NOT to do right from the start. Every product we have sold has had something done to it. We made small changes at first to make it better. Software changes, component changes and now the G-11 Pro. (sorry guy) the G-11 Pro is unlike any other Tekin product except is has the same case and our next esc will be smaller but will still have all the great features that you would expect from a Tekin prodcut.

Great things have come from Tekin in the past and greater things are going to come in the future.