Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree272Likes

Serpent Project 4-X

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-21-2016, 06:09 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Serpent Project 4-X
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WagwanBumba
Introduction
This is a wiki page for the new and very interesting concept 4-X from Serpent. This is wiki is meant to develop and grow as more is understood about the car.

Serpent's Product Page - http://www.serpent.com/product/400030
The 4-X Development Story - Here

Manual - Here

Spring Chart
SOFTEST
  • 401705 Spring white C4.4 4X (2)
  • 401706 Spring yellow C4.9 4X (2)
  • 401707 Spring orange C5.5 4X (2) = kit
  • 401708 Spring red C6.3 4X (2)
  • 401709 Spring pink C6.9 4X (2)
  • 401710 Spring blue C7.6 4X (2)
  • 401711 Spring purple C8.4 4X (2) = kit
  • 401712 Spring greenC9.5 4X (2)
  • 401713 Spring grey C10.9 4X (2)
  • 401714 Spring black C12 4X (2)
HARDEST

Build Tips

RCBuilds.net Build, tip guide and youtube video - http://www.rcbuilds.net/builds/onroa...nt-project-4x/
Heave + Roll Damper Build Tips
Pivot Ball Nut Tip

Setups

Setup Tips

Ride Height Adjustment
Adjusting tweak with roll damper
Usage of washer on lower arm
Tuning ARS

Option Parts List

Social Media

Facebook 4-X Group

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 06:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default TQ Summer series Round 1

We had another good race at TQ today, only some bad luck in the main. Elias was in second place, when the wing came off and he had to stop racing. We also changed the electronics layout quite a bit(picture below).
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

I also hope to improve the electronics layout of my 4x - the weight is spread out more than my other TC's and it doesn't seem to be as nimble as it should be. I want to move the servo more inward and further back. That being said I had a good run last Friday setting a new consistency PR of 98.6% with the car as it is. But I just couldn't get around the corners quick enough to challenge the top racers lap times.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

We cured this with harder springs on the rear roll damper and moving the wing forward. Elias time is quite close to the leaders. The qualifying didn’t show the speed. We tried a couple different layouts during morning practice and in the first qualifier. Elias ran the 2nd qualifier with the current layout, but I forgot to put the correct speedo settings in.
Anyway the race showed the pace.

You can swap the location of the speedo and receiver to equal out the weight in the front and rear. This should move 80 grams forward.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Interesting layout. Isnt it too rear heavy? I am looking to test the speedo behind servo.
Another layout that I think about if I have short battery is, that you can move servo to other side, battery move back and use reciever and speedo to make correct balance.
But I dont know how it will be with weight distribution, I need to find some one with Corner weight system to borrow it and test.
silden likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by hmax
Interesting layout. Isnt it too rear heavy? I am looking to test the speedo behind servo.
Another layout that I think about if I have short battery is, that you can move servo to other side, battery move back and use reciever and speedo to make correct balance.
But I dont know how it will be with weight distribution, I need to find some one with Corner weight system to borrow it and test.
this Layout isn’t really rear heavy.
I’m planning to cut a Servo plate to move the servo to the other side. The receiver would move forward right next to the servo and ESC right behind it. the Fan including the shroud could stay where it is right now.
A corner weight system sounds like a good idea until you realize what rabbit hole it is. replace the springs with something solid to remove the unknown factors like uneven springs. you can put the springs back inn to set the tweak.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:32 PM
Tech Initiate

On last race last weekend on black carpet I have big problem with grip. There was colder and I was sliding around. I go to thinner oil and softer springs and nothing helps. I try to switch upper rear arm bushing to have longer upper arm. At finals it was better, but I think that there were higher temperature, but the car has slow corner speed(maybe because it was soft?). Do you have any advices, what to do on lower grip, to have rear end of car more 'locked in'? Thanks
Old 04-16-2019, 11:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by silden

this Layout isn’t really rear heavy.
I’m planning to cut a Servo plate to move the servo to the other side. The receiver would move forward right next to the servo and ESC right behind it. the Fan including the shroud could stay where it is right now.
A corner weight system sounds like a good idea until you realize what rabbit hole it is. replace the springs with something solid to remove the unknown factors like uneven springs. you can put the springs back inn to set the tweak.
You are right about the springs, it add some unknown factor. But it will be no problem, to replace it. I have 3d printer, so I can print some tubes exactly length and replace the spinrgs and have correct ride height. Balance car and then set tweak with springs. Thanks for advice. I will try it once i borrow the system.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

There are a couple things you can try.
Change the tire prep, like sauce 5min front and 10 minutes rear.
Use harder oil in the diff if it over steers mid to end of corner.
Use lighter oil in the diff if it oversteers beginning to mid corner.
Put a harder spring and lighter oil in the roll damper. for better switchbacks or harder oil for fast sweeping corners.
the heave damper hasn’t as much influence in the cornering.
move the wing forward to move the aero balance forward, this mostly helps in faster corners.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you, I will try it next time.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

We received the Pro yesterday.
DavidNERODease and KUI like this.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Default Roll Damper Craziness

My love/hate relationship with the 4x has shifted a bit more to the love side after I made a crazy change last night. I was just fed up with the roll dampers and removed the oil from both of them and raced the car the whole night like that. There were no ill handling effects and it was just easier to get good lap times. You can see in the video that I drove pretty safe after tapping one corner on the first lap but still managed to win the qualifier relatively comfortably. Black Camaro from P1 -
eevul and silden like this.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
My love/hate relationship with the 4x has shifted a bit more to the love side after I made a crazy change last night. I was just fed up with the roll dampers and removed the oil from both of them and raced the car the whole night like that. There were no ill handling effects and it was just easier to get good lap times. You can see in the video that I drove pretty safe after tapping one corner on the first lap but still managed to win the qualifier relatively comfortably. Black Camaro from P1 - https://youtu.be/QKIYmQNkdXU
Nice run and good test.
Your car seems to need a bit more rotation, at least in the beginning. Maybe your diff is to hard and heats up or try a one step harder roll spring in the rear. You should run like 2k in the roll damper and like 3-5k in the heave.
It probably worked due to the damping of the heave, which gets activated slightly under roll.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by silden

Nice run and good test.
Your car seems to need a bit more rotation, at least in the beginning. Maybe your diff is to hard and heats up or try a one step harder roll spring in the rear. You should run like 2k in the roll damper and like 3-5k in the heave.
It probably worked due to the damping of the heave, which gets activated slightly under roll.
I think your comments are spot on and much appreciated! I have struggled with initial rotation since day one (I've always had the opposite problem with my other TC's so it's been a strange experience for me). I am running 8k in the diff which I do like on exit, I had 8k in the roll dampers previously and I currently have 3k in the rear heave, 2k in front the heave. And I agree that the heave shock does always activate at least a little no matter what...I was considering reducing droop to increase reliance on the heave damper so I can continue to run just lubricated roll dampers (so much easier to maintain). Anyway, I will try slightly heavier heave damping and slightly lighter diff fluid this Friday. I am really enjoying the car now and If I can get 2 more tenths I'll be ecstatic.
silden likes this.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
I think your comments are spot on and much appreciated! I have struggled with initial rotation since day one (I've always had the opposite problem with my other TC's so it's been a strange experience for me). I am running 8k in the diff which I do like on exit, I had 8k in the roll dampers previously and I currently have 3k in the rear heave, 2k in front the heave. And I agree that the heave shock does always activate at least a little no matter what...I was considering reducing droop to increase reliance on the heave damper so I can continue to run just lubricated roll dampers (so much easier to maintain). Anyway, I will try slightly heavier heave damping and slightly lighter diff fluid this Friday. I am really enjoying the car now and If I can get 2 more tenths I'll be ecstatic.
I think you’re onto something keep heading in that direction , by not running oil in your roll damper you have made roll stiffness softer. Keep us updated
Old 04-21-2019, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pretty sure that without oil in roll dampers, you are back to a "standard" anti-roll bars effet.

Could be way more predictable, but way less efficient also. On the video, you car seems not to roll at all, what kind of springs are you using ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.