Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mikuni RC Wheels for Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation Mikuni RC Wheels for Racing

TLDR: Are these wheels solely for drift applications or can they be run succesfully for on road racing on asphalt and carpet?

I just ordered a pair of Mikuni wheels in 7offset and 26mm width thinking they'd be close to HPI's +6 offset touring car wheels.

As soon as I got them I noticed the offset is way more aggressive than I thought. With HPI 6mm offset Stock Car TC wheels my TC4 meassured 189mm in track width but with the Mikunis it sits at 202mm. I preffer to stay at around 190mm due to the increased steering, my local 21.5 class specs 200mm maximum width but I run a 190mm body so I'd like to stay at around that width.

Apparently the lowest offset they sell is 3 offset so that would bring down my width to 192mm I'm assuming so I'd say that would be close enough but I want to be sure that they are suitable for on road racing before I chose as I work with the seller for an exchange. I ask because they dont have the internal rib that holds the inside of the tire lip and I want to be certain that isn't a limitation before I exchange for the lower offset and glue my tires on them.

Also I think this wheel for my application needs a different insert to work as the center of my HPI X Patterns (speced treaded rubber tires for my class) sit a hair concave in the middle with the stock inserts and they stay concave if I press down on the center. What other insert could I run in them if these wheels are in fact suitable for racing?
Old 05-05-2016, 12:14 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nttdemented
TLDR: Are these wheels solely for drift applications or can they be run succesfully for on road racing on asphalt and carpet?

I just ordered a pair of Mikuni wheels in 7offset and 26mm width thinking they'd be close to HPI's +6 offset touring car wheels.

As soon as I got them I noticed the offset is way more aggressive than I thought. With HPI 6mm offset Stock Car TC wheels my TC4 meassured 189mm in track width but with the Mikunis it sits at 202mm. I preffer to stay at around 190mm due to the increased steering, my local 21.5 class specs 200mm maximum width but I run a 190mm body so I'd like to stay at around that width.

Apparently the lowest offset they sell is 3 offset so that would bring down my width to 192mm I'm assuming so I'd say that would be close enough but I want to be sure that they are suitable for on road racing before I chose as I work with the seller for an exchange. I ask because they dont have the internal rib that holds the inside of the tire lip and I want to be certain that isn't a limitation before I exchange for the lower offset and glue my tires on them.

Also I think this wheel for my application needs a different insert to work as the center of my HPI X Patterns (speced treaded rubber tires for my class) sit a hair concave in the middle with the stock inserts and they stay concave if I press down on the center. What other insert could I run in them if these wheels are in fact suitable for racing?
HI
I have used them before and they are great...
I only used the 3mm or 5mm off set ,it all depends what bodies shell...
you mention about the concave in the middle of the tires..make sure there is a vent hole in the back side of the wheel..
Old 05-05-2016, 04:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Gotcha, so I should just exchange them for the 3mm offset, drill a small hole in them for venting and be good?