Wiki Posts
Search

Belt-drive + tub chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Belt-drive + tub chassis?

I'm slowly building a collection of touring cars, but I don't have a traditional direct-belt-drive car yet. (I have several XV-01s, but the belt connects two gearboxes instead of driving the diffs directly.) I'd really like it to have a tub chassis, because I dislike how exposed the electronics are to side impacts on flat carbon-fiber chassis. However, the Tamiya TA06 has that funky bottom-access battery box with no provision for keeping excess power cord away from the drive belt once the battery is installed, and the TA05 has been discontinued for long enough that the carbon-reinforced-plastic chassis isn't even available anymore. All the other belt-drive touring cars I've seen have carbon-fiber chassis. Am I SOL or is there one I don't know about yet?
Old 04-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I believe the sakura D3 is a belt/tub.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
I'm slowly building a collection of touring cars, but I don't have a traditional direct-belt-drive car yet. (I have several XV-01s, but the belt connects two gearboxes instead of driving the diffs directly.) I'd really like it to have a tub chassis, because I dislike how exposed the electronics are to side impacts on flat carbon-fiber chassis. However, the Tamiya TA06 has that funky bottom-access battery box with no provision for keeping excess power cord away from the drive belt once the battery is installed, and the TA05 has been discontinued for long enough that the carbon-reinforced-plastic chassis isn't even available anymore. All the other belt-drive touring cars I've seen have carbon-fiber chassis. Am I SOL or is there one I don't know about yet?
You mean like this one? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYHY5&P=SM
Old 04-03-2016, 01:13 AM
Tech Champion

Like that one, only not discontinued for years. Unfortunately all the good parts are out of stock for the TA05 nowadays. Also the chassis has a bunch of holes in it so old NiMH packs can sit a couple millimeters lower in the chassis, which doesn't really matter nowadays except that it lets debris get in. I might be overestimating the debris problem though.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I think you might be over analyzing alot. What kind of driving are you planning on doing where side impacts would even be an issue? The electronics are centered enough that the body protects them in all but the most hrrific of T-bone collisions.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My Vaterra and Associated are tub style. My XRay and Serpent are belt driven. The XRay is a carbon fiber,'my Serpent is not. Haven't seen any usually chassis wear on the XRay. Strictly asphalt driven.
I've bounced the Associated off many curbs. More willing to run closer to curbs then with the belt driven.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I think you might be over analyzing alot. What kind of driving are you planning on doing where side impacts would even be an issue? The electronics are centered enough that the body protects them in all but the most hrrific of T-bone collisions.
Dirty, cracked, badly patched, generally crappy pavement, with loose pebbles strewn about from small potholes that have opened up. If (by which I mean "when") I drive over a rock at 30mph and it gets flung past the side of the chassis, I'd rather there not be any exposed electronics hanging off the sides of the chassis for that rock to smack into.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

SOL it is then, whatever that is.

The TA05 is still very well represented on fleabay in parts or entire kits.

But I think some of your requirements are contradictory. Why else would you want a belt drive when you're driving on those roads?! That's what shaft drive was invented for. Plenty of choice there too.

Which is the reason why everything you like has been discontinued for yonks. People moved on.

PS. If you really want something for the crappy roads with electronics not exposed, and it absolutely has to be belt drive, try to find an old Yokomo MR4TC. That should satisfy all your requirements (it even has a central fully enclosed channel for the belt, and the rally version had an inner polycarbonate cover for the tub). It has been discontinued for about 15 years, of course.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

SOL = S*** Outta Luck

It's not that it *has* to be belt-drive, it's that I'd like a belt-drive car because I don't have one yet. (well, I have the XV-01s, but they're sort of a hybrid, not as elegant as a pure belt-drive layout.) But yes, it does look like I'm chasing ghosts at this point.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Like that one, only not discontinued for years. Unfortunately all the good parts are out of stock for the TA05 nowadays. Also the chassis has a bunch of holes in it so old NiMH packs can sit a couple millimeters lower in the chassis, which doesn't really matter nowadays except that it lets debris get in. I might be overestimating the debris problem though.
Ummm, yes, you are overestimating the debris "problem". Trust me, the one I linked to can be bought RIGHT NOW from Tower's site, & it is NOT obsolete in ANY way. I still use one myself(in my local track's VTA class), & I still get people wondering if I'm cheating(& I'm NOT), because of how well it handles...
Old 04-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Yeap, the TA05 platform is a tank. A bit heavy, but a tank. Very good for bashing and yes, with very good handling (not that it matters when you bash it in a parking lot).
Old 04-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

a second-hand Hot Bodies Cyclone S ?
Old 04-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks. I managed to find a NIB TA05R kit in Germany. We'll see if it's what I'm looking for.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by heretic
a second-hand Hot Bodies Cyclone S ?
I had one of those once. It's a really nice car

Peter $
Old 04-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks. I managed to find a NIB TA05R kit in Germany. We'll see if it's what I'm looking for.
Nice find. The TA05 is a great car. Parts are still around, you just have to know where to look

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.