Getting in to electric on-road

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Getting in to electric on-road

I'm looking to get in to electric on road, most likely 1/10 scale

I run the best of the best with my SCT truck, with the kit, ESC, motor

What's the best 1/10 scale kit? Kyosho TF7? Team Durango? X-ray?

Thanks for all of the help, I plan to run a brand new Trinity 24KO Certified I have one already, I got in a trade deal.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Very pleased with my ARC R11. Yokomo BD7 is a good choice to.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Go to the home track you plan on racing at and see what the better drivers are running, parts availability and tuning points are always important.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tps3443
I'm looking to get in to electric on road, most likely 1/10 scale

I run the best of the best with my SCT truck, with the kit, ESC, motor

What's the best 1/10 scale kit? Kyosho TF7? Team Durango? X-ray?

Thanks for all of the help, I plan to run a brand new Trinity 24KO Certified I have one already, I got in a trade deal.
What classes do you like? You looking at TC only? You running indoor or outdoor?
Old 03-19-2016, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
What classes do you like? You looking at TC only? You running indoor or outdoor?
I'm thinking about getting the Tamiya TRF419 kit, I can grab one new for about $539.99 with some coupons I have. And I will use my Trinity 24KO 13.5t certified, I assume it would be OK to use a RX8 Gen 2 on this?

There is indoor track near me 20 minutes away in Durham NC, it is a indoor climate controlled track i think it's carpet.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I'm thinking about getting the Tamiya TRF419 kit, I can grab one new for about $539.99 with some coupons I have. And I will use my Trinity 24KO 13.5t certified, I assume it would be OK to use a RX8 Gen 2 on this?

There is indoor track near me 20 minutes away in Durham NC, it is a indoor climate controlled track i think it's carpet.
Rx8 is a bit large for a touring càr.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Look into a hobbywing Justock xr10 with a programming card. Both total about 70 bux and the esc is pretty small.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

After looking at the schumacher Mi5 Evo I've fallen in love! Lol, all carbon fiber. Looks very light and tough.

Is it smart to buy a Schumacher MI5 Evo right now? Or is a new model about to release?

Thanks for the help everyone! I picked up a Reedy 410R black box.

I'm still deciding on a kit. I think the MI5 Evo is a little nicer then the Tamiya and kyosho .
Old 03-22-2016, 07:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Awesomatix a800 or a700 evo2
Old 03-22-2016, 09:30 PM
Tech Adept

Is it smart to buy a Schumacher MI5 Evo right now? Or is a new model about to release?
Mi6 coming soon. Prototype is being raced.
http://www.racing-cars.com/products....&pagewidth=550

If it were me it'd be between
-Awesomatix A800 (if I had the money and set up equipment)
-Yokomo BD7'16 - (All of the BD7 15's and 16's I've seen have looked very good on track)
-VBC D08 - Pics look nice, I like the insert system for the suspension mounts.

My aging TCX still does OK Get that setup dialed and dont crash
Old 04-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

+1 Awesomatix A800 or A700 evo2... Best cars I've ever owned. Superb kits and the easiest cars to work on once you've experienced how one goes together.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (78%+)

For carpet yokomo bd7 or xray t4 with an aluminum chassis, sell the rx8 and get you a hobbywing esc (smoothest esc and great for stock racing) before putting the motor in your car, go to your track and see what classes they run, usually 17.5 tc is going to be the most popular. And if they are on the new crc black carpet then I would go with the yokomo as it has the lowest cg.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Tech Adept

Xray is the top brand now. Look at the recent AOC results. Two independent drivers chose to run Xray T4 and got a win and podium.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

There is, unfortunately no clear answer to the question what car is the best. We are fortunate to be in an era where most cars from reputable manufacturers are quite good. Of course, there are differences, but generally most of them can be properly tuned to perform at a high level on almost any track.

Here are a few points to consider for some manufacturers.

XRay: car is extremely sturdy. Parts are a bit high priced. Very high quality, fit and finish are fantastic. Manual and packaging are good. Drives ok, but I never was able to be consistent with it. One race it would be good, another I would struggle.

Yokomo: possibly a little more fragile (that being said, I only broke 1 C hub and 1 arm in 2 years). Parts are quite affordable, availability in the US may sometimes be a little more problematic but generally speaking, quite good. Found the tuning window to be a little wider than on my T4, but that's just me. Car suits my driving style better ( or I could just tune it to my driving style better). Manual is ok, packaging is very good. Fit and finish is on the same level as XRay, imho.

Associated ( applies to 6.2, I have no experience with the new car): definitely more fragile, especially the C hubs. Parts are both very affordable and easily available. Tuning window is very narrow. I never was comfortable driving it. Manual is great, packaging is ok. Fit and finish is a little below X-ray and Yokomo.

Schumacher (Mi5): it has some weak points, is generally sturdier than the TC6. Parts availability may be a bit more of a problem, though generally quite good. Price is a bit higher but not on XRay's level. Probably the best asphalt car I have. Tuning for carpet on the other hand is a challenge... Possibly the best manual and packaging of all. Fit and finish is very good.

Awesomatix: now, I don't have one, so these are observations from an outsider. It used to have a reputation for being fragile but it seems to now be fixed. Parts availability can be a problem. Price of both car and parts is on the high side. IMHO it is over-engineered but it definitely is a beautiful piece of a car. Machining is wonderful. Manual looks well made, can't talk about how parts are packaged. Can't argue about performance, but I personally would put this car in the experienced driver category. On the funny side, if you go and read the awesomatix forum, it looks like you must have a part number list in hand to understand...

Tamiya: I don't have a 41x, but I have 2 TRF F1, so I would think it probably applies to the TC. Parts availability and pricing looks ok. Fit and finish is very good. Manual is ok, packaging is really bad. Having to open 5 different bags to do one step drives me mad. Cannot talk much about durability, but those I've seen seem ok, if not stellar. Aluminum on the Tamiya I've built is generally a bit soft. Shocks are stellar, possibly the best on the market, but that is just my opinion.

The best advice I've read in this thread so far, though, is to go where you plan to race and see what cars are popular. It will help you in several ways to pick something for which you can have help and support, especially if you are starting in onroad racing. Never underestimate the advantage of being able to have someone that can help you to have a solid and stable car to learn to drive or have someone that can lend you that part you never thought you could break...

Martin Paradis
Old 04-26-2016, 06:39 PM
Tech Initiate

My next car if i get one will be a xray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.