Search
Like Tree54Likes

TT-01 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brrrrm
... the TT-01 is a capable racer in the silver can category, but the need for hop ups (= better road handling) depends on the track. ... I would settle for bearings, oil shocks + set of springs, camber adjustable front suspension, tyres and FDR 4.2. During hot weather I would also use a motor heat sink.
True, Aliso is a pretty wide open flowing track; it had a couple sharp 180's and that's where the car had the worst bounce. Going to try it on Sun on a more technical track.

Originally Posted by raffaelli
I don't agree that the car is not competive with the 13.5 without modification in a normal touring car class. Just this past weekend I again ran the quickest lap. ... the car is without a doubt capable of winning on a high level at $85.00.
Ok, well see! I just put in a 8.5T brushless (20T/61) and tested in on my street; woah it's fast. Handling seems ok but won't know till I can test it on Sun at the track. Won't be allowed to race with that motor, but I hope I can get some testing in.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RaceBucks
True, Aliso is a pretty wide open flowing track; it had a couple sharp 180's and that's where the car had the worst bounce. Going to try it on Sun on a more technical track.

Ok, well see! I just put in a 8.5T brushless (20T/61) and tested in on my street; woah it's fast. Handling seems ok but won't know till I can test it on Sun at the track. Won't be allowed to race with that motor, but I hope I can get some testing in.

Keep in mind, my reference is for foam on carpet. Rubber on black top may be an entirely different situation.

I am waiting for the snow to melt to get the car out on the driveway for a bit.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by raffaelli

I am waiting for the snow to melt to get the car out on the driveway for a bit.
I love that - we have 30 degrees C in Melbourne (Australia) and have never received snow! My biggest problem at the track is to keep the flies away and not to get sun burnt. I have crashed more than once when swatting away a fly that is trying to crawl up my nose whilst the car is going at top speed. Since then I resort to industrial strength fly repellant. My wife gave me a bug zapper too that I wear around my neck. It sounds like a mosquito
Old 03-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I love that - we have 30 degrees C in Melbourne (Australia) and have never received snow! My biggest problem at the track is to keep the flies away and not to get sun burnt. I have crashed more than once when swatting away a fly that is trying to crawl up my nose whilst the car is going at top speed. Since then I resort to industrial strength fly repellant. My wife gave me a bug zapper too that I wear around my neck. It sounds like a mosquito

Crazy weather here over the past few days....8" of snow, then 3" of rain, 60 degrees F, tonight another 3" of rain. It is supposed to be 45 today, this morning is was 21.

In the summer we get the same issues but with mosquitos!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey guys - what you think of my setup/mounting/wiring?

24/58 gearing...

Old 03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Looks neat. Where do you power the fan from? Main battery?
Old 03-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

Hey vinsedprince, check out the last couple of pages in this forum. You will find a lot of info about gearing and how to do it. I run 40x65 on my carbon chassis and I think Racebucks runs 30x52 on a bath tub chassis.
i just got my mamba esc and 7700 motor.

overheating problems...

19/61 would still make my esc like a toaster.

i'm planning to get lowest pinion. and highest spur gear possible.

if need to use an adapter for different brands...

any suggestion what parts to use?

spur gear adapters works with tt01?
Old 03-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

Looks neat. Where do you power the fan from? Main battery?
when i had the stock teu esc and motor. i parallel wire the fans on the main battery.

this fan is from pc fan (requires 12v) still good air flow.

when i hooked up the mamba, i have a separate lipo batt for it.

i switched it back to stock esc unti i get a better gearing on the mamba to avoid over heating.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vinsedprince
i just got my mamba esc and 7700 motor.
overheating problems...
19/61 would still make my esc like a toaster.
i'm planning to get lowest pinion. and highest spur gear possible.
if need to use an adapter for different brands...
any suggestion what parts to use?
spur gear adapters works with tt01?
Reedy's 3-star was a 7700kv 6.5 Turn brushless. The manual said to gear touring cars at 8.2 for long tracks and 9.4 for short. With a 61 spur that would be a 17-19 pinion, and most guys gear faster than what the manual recommends.

You are in the right range, if you are that hot you should probably check for binding. It won't take much, I had a shim in the rear diff to move the diff pinion away from the bearing and it was rubbing too much against the diff spur, charred my silver can wires and temped at 190+ degrees at 5.7 fdr; took out the shim and the motor was about 130 degrees at 4.8 fdr. This weekend ran a 8.5 turn at 7.9 fdr (20/61) and it didn't get hot.

You need to go custom with a spur much larger than 61, the gear cover will get in the way and you'll want more of a slider for the motor with the smaller pinion.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

Reedy's 3-star was a 7700kv 6.5 Turn brushless. The manual said to gear touring cars at 8.2 for long tracks and 9.4 for short. With a 61 spur that would be a 17-19 pinion, and most guys gear faster than what the manual recommends.

You are in the right range, if you are that hot you should probably check for binding. It won't take much, I had a shim in the rear diff to move the diff pinion away from the bearing and it was rubbing too much against the diff spur, charred my silver can wires and temped at 190+ degrees at 5.7 fdr; took out the shim and the motor was about 130 degrees at 4.8 fdr. This weekend ran a 8.5 turn at 7.9 fdr (20/61) and it didn't get hot.

You need to go custom with a spur much larger than 61, the gear cover will get in the way and you'll want more of a slider for the motor with the smaller pinion.
this is neat info.

what do you mean by BINDING?
what do you mean by CHARRED your motor?
and are you referring to the bearing near the drive shaft? or the diff left and right?

and if go to stock 19/61 - i'll be fine?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vinsedprince
what do you mean by BINDING?
what do you mean by CHARRED your motor?
and are you referring to the bearing near the drive shaft? or the diff left and right?
and if go to stock 19/61 - i'll be fine?
Just make sure that everything spins freely with no rubbing of parts to drag the motor down. Take out the motor and spin the drive shaft or roll the car; without the motor the wheels should spin and spin and spin.

Overtightening the wheels can deform the plastic and cause drag, any part where friction is caused. The TT-01 drive train can be very smooth and free, if it isn't it's going to cause the motor to work harder and heat up.

This was just a thought on why you might be running hot because the gear ratio doesn't sound out of range. If this isn't clear or solving the problem have guys at your track take a look.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Just make sure that everything spins freely with no rubbing of parts to drag the motor down. Take out the motor and spin the drive shaft or roll the car; without the motor the wheels should spin and spin and spin.

Overtightening the wheels can deform the plastic and cause drag, any part where friction is caused. The TT-01 drive train can be very smooth and free, if it isn't it's going to cause the motor to work harder and heat up.

This was just a thought on why you might be running hot because the gear ratio doesn't sound out of range. If this isn't clear or solving the problem have guys at your track take a look.
i got it. i should have done it in the first place. been talking to a lot of peeps they never gave me that tip in the first place!

if gearing is ok then, above mentioned should solve this...

back to the FM. should i change to FM system?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You won't run into a lot of glitching problems that happen with AM. When I drive under a power line, sometimes my car veers off to the side.

Okay guys I have a dilemma. I love the TT-01, but then there's that desire for the parts and stabilizers and carbon upper frame and all that jazz... and I don't know if it would be better off to just get another chassis like a used TC3 or a Pro 4 for less than I would be buying in extras.

Right now, my chassis is a second hand one, and the drivetrain is having issues, and I think it is coming from the bearings. I thought about getting new bearings and maybe CVDs, and thought about all the wheel wobble that is going on...

I don't know if it is worth it to overhaul my chassis, or to just get another one. I know it would be more fun to overhaul mine, but things like bearings and cvds and aluminum knuckles aren't cheap. And in the end this will cost more than picking up a used Pro 4. PLUS I was looking into getting a brushless system, but before I do that I want to fix the drivetrain problems with this one.

...what do you guys think?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mooshu Beef
You won't run into a lot of glitching problems that happen with AM. When I drive under a power line, sometimes my car veers off to the side.

Okay guys I have a dilemma. I love the TT-01, but then there's that desire for the parts and stabilizers and carbon upper frame and all that jazz... and I don't know if it would be better off to just get another chassis like a used TC3 or a Pro 4 for less than I would be buying in extras.

Right now, my chassis is a second hand one, and the drivetrain is having issues, and I think it is coming from the bearings. I thought about getting new bearings and maybe CVDs, and thought about all the wheel wobble that is going on...

I don't know if it is worth it to overhaul my chassis, or to just get another one. I know it would be more fun to overhaul mine, but things like bearings and cvds and aluminum knuckles aren't cheap. And in the end this will cost more than picking up a used Pro 4. PLUS I was looking into getting a brushless system, but before I do that I want to fix the drivetrain problems with this one.

...what do you guys think?
I think a TT-01 compared to a Pro4 is a bit unfair. The TT-01 is after all meant as a beginning level entry chassis. However this isn't to say that it performs that way. Ultimately it comes down to what you want to do with the car.

I have a TT-01 and TRF415 and I prefer to drive the TT-01 simply because I can do it anywhere: on the street, in a parking lot, etc. I don't have to worry about settings, chassis tweak, etc. There isn't that consistent need to cringe when the inevitable crash happens. I have a TA-05 in the works and I think it may be the ultimate comprise between both worlds (TT-01 and TRF415). May be there is another equivalent you can find for R/C that will suit both your needs (whatever they may be).
Old 03-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by larrio
... I have a TA-05 in the works and I think it may be the ultimate comprise between both worlds (TT-01 and TRF415).
Larry is right. I have been extreamly happy with making the TT-01 work for minimum $, but as soon as you start adding oil shocks, carbon stiffeners and 1 other upgrade, the TA-05 is cheaper and the better buy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.