Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how to stop a twichy front end on carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by teamgp
I do it. KT did it last night with my car at about 98% dialed and ran the first couple 9.9s laps ever on the layout with it.
BTW, I dialed in my 0 EXP setup with a ONE-WAY on carpet with foams. Don't tell me it can't be done.

As I said before, if you have time, dial in a good setup and run as many laps as you can to "program" your hand/eye coordination first. And only then should you mess around with - EXP.

Let your fingers do the walking...

Last edited by teamgp; 12-06-2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I do it. KT did it last night with my car at about 98% dialed and ran the first couple 9.9s laps ever on the layout with it.

If you can't figure out the setup in time to race, then by all means use as many band-aids and crutches needed. I did it a lot last year. No one will fault you for limping across the finish line on the podium.

I guarantee that if you gave me your car/transmitter with however much -EXP you use today, that I could dial in the setup where you could put it at 0 and be faster around the track as well.

Doh! I forgot, you still run a dinosaur. I may have to break out my antique tool collection and ask XRAY for an exception with this challenge. I'm not sure I can dial out the chassis design flaws though...

Don't get yer knickers in a twist mate. I'm just havin fun with ya and the AE nation in the last paragraph.

BTW, there is a better way to state that you disagree with someone's opinion than the first derogatory phrase you used above. Tact is in these days.
That WAS tact! I even only said "BS" because it was you.

Look...if you run your radio with zeroed settings your not taking complete advantage of your equipment. End of story.

Did I EVER say to use the radio as a "band-aid" to mask a bad setup?!??! No...I didnt. I said: if everyone has been keeping up.... That once the car is 100% mechanically set up right...then go to the radio to make it more drivable and hence...smoother.

You are at a disadvantage if you run your radio with zeroed settings. Bottom line. Also...if folks aren't going to use those settings...then they really should just save some cash and get a Futaba Magnum Jr.

And BTW...this Sat my "Dinosaur" is gonna smack your medical equipment back to Slovakia....

medical equpiment = XRay
Old 12-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

DING, DING!! Back to your corners. The guy asked how to take the twitch out of his car. Expo works great for this. As far as "band-aid" fixes and "masking" set-up flaws: every change you make to your set-up masks a flaw. ie.. tires have too much grip, run harder springs. Why not just change tires. Lets face it, if there was a "perfect" set-up, we wouldn't need radio adjustments. Just buy the servo with exactly the speed you need, stop adjusting your dual rate, (just don't turn the wheel so far) and forget about trim. You should have fixed that on the set-up board before the car even hit the track. What kind of racer are you anyway? If expo takes care of the problem, why put the car on a set-up station and scratch your head. The problem is solved.
And Soviet, it is time for a new radio
Good luck this weekend, GP.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Soviet
And BTW...this Sat my "Dinosaur" is gonna smack your medical equipment back to Slovakia....

medical equpiment = XRay
Good one.

You'll be in NC too?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Nah. He doesn't like music anyway...

All kidding aside, I believe the less EXP you need, the better the setup and hand eye coordination you have. After getting some "counseling" from KT, it took me about 8 months of dialing out 15 points of EXP every other month and working on the setup some more.

However, I believe it is a very valid tuning option if you don't have the time to work on the setup and/or improve your wheel skills.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Nah. He doesn't like music anyway...

All kidding aside, I believe the less EXP you need, the better the setup and hand eye coordination you have. After getting some "counseling" from KT, it took me about 8 months of dialing out 15 points of EXP every other month and working on the setup some more.

However, I believe it is a very valid tuning option if you don't have the time to work on the setup and/or improve your wheel skills.

Honestly, throw and steering speed are more important anyhow. Too much throw will always screw up your car's handling. Plus reducing the servo's speed some can make transitions much smoother, even if you've got the hand-eye coordination of a robot.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stiltskin
DING, DING!! Back to your corners. The guy asked how to take the twitch out of his car. Expo works great for this. As far as "band-aid" fixes and "masking" set-up flaws: every change you make to your set-up masks a flaw. ie.. tires have too much grip, run harder springs. Why not just change tires. Lets face it, if there was a "perfect" set-up, we wouldn't need radio adjustments. Just buy the servo with exactly the speed you need, stop adjusting your dual rate, (just don't turn the wheel so far) and forget about trim. You should have fixed that on the set-up board before the car even hit the track. What kind of racer are you anyway? If expo takes care of the problem, why put the car on a set-up station and scratch your head. The problem is solved.
Good luck this weekend, GP.

Hey there Tony...watch it! Mess with the bull and you get the horns!!!

My KO Mars does 90% of what the Helios can do, plus it works with spektrum...so I'd say I'm a-ok...

...although no-one said it was pretty...
Old 12-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Good one.

You'll be in NC too?

He's one of the ones that can't leave the comforts of a "HomeTrack"!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Soviet
Honestly, throw and steering speed are more important anyhow. Too much throw will always screw up your car's handling. Plus reducing the servo's speed some can make transitions much smoother, even if you've got the hand-eye coordination of a robot.
I absolutely agree there. Unless your an old school 12th scaler, setting max EPA according to the tightest sections of the track is a must. I also went from a .08 digital speedo to a .12 recently and the steering is smoother.