Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Xray FK06

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rccars4scott
I can only vote with my dollars and given XRAY's current business model I will now consider them in the likes of Tamiya and Yokomo and will not consider XRAY for future car selections.
You list one company with a recent history of releasing new major updates every 6-8 months, and another with the same history, but also a record of releasing whole cars every 6 months!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

regardless of what anyone says now, if the new car is really "better/easier/or whatever" unless you are brand loyal to some other car, your gonna find a way to get one because we all want to feel like we have what it takes to have the best chance of winning or doing our best when we show up at the track, so if xray builds a better car, we are gonna buy it......
Old 11-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

That's it. I'm selling all these high end cars, taking my wife on a nice vacation ("holiday" to my friends in the UK) and running my old TC3. LOL.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

I'm surprised that most of the posts here are about economics and not about the car itself. Does anyone else find it strange the xray started out building cars that were very different than the norm, but every new car they release just keeps getting closer to every other car out there? Just an observation, don't hate.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

lol vacations are nice for the week or so your on them....but you could probably buy 4 06 xrays and enjoy them for months for less.....
Old 11-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

I dont see them as getting closer to other cars as much as seeing them trying to move farther ahead......
Old 11-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Unfortunately, Mdoc, you are exactly correct. The problem is that this is killing our hobby. I can't remember the last time that a new person came out to our track. Little wonder why, when someone comes to the track and the first thing they see is someone sitting there with high end cars, radios, batteries, etc. Given our current economic times it is a little intimidating for someone to think of dropping a couple of thousand dollars to get started. I am working with a local hobby shop to put in an off road track in our town. The one class we are going to try desperately to get started is a stock from the box RTR off-road class running RTR Mayhems ($500 plus a gallon of fuel). I really believe that a lot of dad's could afford to buy that for their child. From there, hopefully they get hooked and upgrade and the hobby shop makes money. Something like this for on-road would be nice to see too. Any thoughts?

P.S. Sorry for straying somewhat from the topic.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

get use to it, i feel manufactures will produce a new model every 12-18 months in an attempt to capilize on market share. i don't blame them they are in business to make money and we as customers will pay to have the latest model. the only thing that bugs me is that all the parts do not fit the next chassis.. this will become a problem in the states and canada over the next year or two, dealers will not stock the parts needed for each kit. its to much of an investment to stock parts for all kits. xray builds one of the most beautiful kits i have ever had, craftsmanship and attention to detail put it up at the top. but parts pricing is out of hand. i know the costs are high because of shipping and where they are made. for this reason i cant see why 95% of previous parts should not fit the new kits. don't turn you back on the old chassis xray. they helped get you to where you are today
Old 11-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

yes, straying off the topic but as Homer says, "eh, what do ya do?"

and IMO, $500 is a lot for a parent to plop down on their kid. Granted, I don't know what a full set of (American) football gear goes for, but there are much cheaper ways to get into RC. RTR 1/18th scale off-road trucks can go (nearly) everywhere, are a lot of fun and for their size pretty tough to break, in general. I'd suggest that. Racer (and shop staff!!) attitudes in the store and at the track do a lot to keep/deter newbies also.

Back to the topic at hand: like the poster said above, if you're passionate about the hobby you'll find a way to get the latest and greatest. No if's, and's or but's. If anyone is really that bummed about buying a new car, it's time to sell the cars you have and take up something else. Maybe keep your most expensive equipment so in a couple of years when you try a comeback it's still somewhat current but if the cost is starting to get to you the hobby may not be what it once was...

edited to add - if the parts from the last generation cars are supposed to fit the newest generation of cars, then you get what HPI was stuck into for a while: things don't progress as far as they should with each new car. Look at the RS4/Pro/Pro2/Rally/Sport/Mini/Nitro/Racer/Racer 2/etc. series of kits - no end of grief to HPI (from the hardcore racers) when there was loads of parts interchangeability. At least the hobbyists-for-fun had a blast mixing parts around
Old 11-29-2005, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

your right about that too scott I wish it was easier to make new racers understand that you need to start at some level comming in and work your way up the ladder....most of the new racers now think you can buy hi end equip. and you should start winning the A main right away, I think its from being able to buy hi end electronic(comps, games....)in racing at whatever scale theres just so much more to learn, in electronic games friction, and centrifugalforce, and such things dont come into play......
Old 11-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Unfortunately, Mdoc, you are exactly correct. The problem is that this is killing our hobby. I can't remember the last time that a new person came out to our track. Little wonder why, when someone comes to the track and the first thing they see is someone sitting there with high end cars, radios, batteries, etc. Given our current economic times it is a little intimidating for someone to think of dropping a couple of thousand dollars to get started. I am working with a local hobby shop to put in an off road track in our town. The one class we are going to try desperately to get started is a stock from the box RTR off-road class running RTR Mayhems ($500 plus a gallon of fuel). I really believe that a lot of dad's could afford to buy that for their child. From there, hopefully they get hooked and upgrade and the hobby shop makes money. Something like this for on-road would be nice to see too. Any thoughts?

P.S. Sorry for straying somewhat from the topic.
You are absolutely correct! I work at a local shop and you have this hobby down to a tee. It is amazing however that these $500 "luxury touring cars" are ruining this hobby however, whenever a new one comes out I have to have it! It really does suck however to see nubs come to the track and feel intimidated by that.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What appears to be lost on people is the fact that you don't need to run the latest and greatest kit...

As far as the luxury tourers ruining the market...The biggest thing I've found with the latest range of cars is how they've made it EASIER to go fast...so sure..it costs....but to be more competitive, people are willing to pay...

I know that my FK05 isn't holding me back. Quite on the contrary...it's pushing me forward...and I like it...

I'm fortunate enough to have enough savvy that due tohow I handle my RC budget there will be room for the new car....and I'll be on it like white on rice...

My FK05 will be kept, as a second car for running a 2nd class at major races....and I'm not worried about it not being the latest and greatest...it just showed how capable it is....if you don't want the additional features of the new kit and don't think it's worth your $$ to make the change...then don't! Run your current car and enjoy it....in the meantime...I'll be loving the cool new features on my new ride....and mixing in a few races with my FK05 just for nostalgia sake
Old 11-29-2005, 09:32 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Windsorguy99
What appears to be lost on people is the fact that you don't need to run the latest and greatest kit...

As far as the luxury tourers ruining the market...The biggest thing I've found with the latest range of cars is how they've made it EASIER to go fast...so sure..it costs....but to be more competitive, people are willing to pay...

I know that my FK05 isn't holding me back. Quite on the contrary...it's pushing me forward...and I like it...

I'm fortunate enough to have enough savvy that due tohow I handle my RC budget there will be room for the new car....and I'll be on it like white on rice...

My FK05 will be kept, as a second car for running a 2nd class at major races....and I'm not worried about it not being the latest and greatest...it just showed how capable it is....if you don't want the additional features of the new kit and don't think it's worth your $$ to make the change...then don't! Run your current car and enjoy it....in the meantime...I'll be loving the cool new features on my new ride....and mixing in a few races with my FK05 just for nostalgia sake
Amen! No one is making or forcing anyone to buy the newest vehicle.

Please also remember there is alway a first time buyer for any one particular brand. By having a new car every 12 months you hope that racerX running brand Y will then decide to try brand Z for his next car.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Windsorguy99

Very kewl. I totally agree with you. Actually, this cleared alot out of my mind. Thanks Windsorguy99
Old 11-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Check the xray website. Its officially called the T2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.