Search

New ROAR battery rules pass

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Advil
Hi Dawn,

Long time...

While we're on the subject.....how about having ROAR change "when" batteries are approved for competition. Having them approved on Jan 1 splits the Indoor season in half. It seems that it would be better for all if the battery appoval was effective October 1. I believe this would be in all of the U.S. racer's interests. ...of course all submittal dates etc. would have to be changed also....

Please keep in mind that this is coming from a California boy....

Art D.
Art, HIYA!!! It has been awhile...

this actually has been brought up several times at the Excomm meetings by Bob Ingersoll who put in place the once a year battery approval plan in the first place. One of the best things ROAR has done is the battery approval and I agree, the plan needs tweaking.

I'm sure it'll be a topic at the March meeting and possibly sooner with this battery decision up in the air.

C_O Jones: what is your home address? I can find out why you didn't get a RevUp until now. Nine times out of ten, serious, its the post office. RevUp is mailed 3rd class and that rarely gets the priority of 1st class. Although, the RevUP this time with the ballots, many were received one month after mailing. Even the ROAR Administrator did not receive his in the mail.

This is why RevUP is going online solely after this next printed issue. There will be online voting and online membership payments accepted and soon, online national entrys with payments.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

adrain, eddie measured some and put what he found on page two.

"I measured 20 IB cells from my last batch, they all come in under 43....as do the GP3700....

Some cells will swell as we use them....around .1 to .5 mm..."

i dunno if that is enough info but for now that is what i know. i have come new ib3800 i just need calipers lol
Old 11-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Adrian:

shoot me an email and I'll forward to you the results given to me a few weeks ago of testing over 100 cells.

[email protected]
Old 11-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fjm9898
adrain, eddie measured some and put what he found on page two.

"I measured 20 IB cells from my last batch, they all come in under 43....as do the GP3700....

Some cells will swell as we use them....around .1 to .5 mm..."

i dunno if that is enough info but for now that is what i know. i have come new ib3800 i just need calipers lol
Were these before matching or after matching?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

the post doesnt say.. sorry. email eddie. i bet he could give you the info you need.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:28 AM
Tech Champion

For all of you out there I've read most of what was printed on this thread I started.The information given to me was that only 3300's would pass and all of the newer 3700-3800 would not. I went to my sources and found out differently.Only the new "IP" battery was looking for and exemption basically. It was put on the ballot to allow 44mm batteries which everyone was following except "IP".I went out and got people to vote against this rule (24 no votes) All from Florida.The more I read lately the more I'm thinking I don't think this thankless job for 15 years is worth it and I am done.Maybe I 'll finish this years term or maybe not.
If your a ROAR member VOTE if your not ..............................
Old 11-22-2005, 04:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Snowbirds sets their own battery rules regardless of what ROAR rules state. The fact that ROAR has a deadline to submit cells for the next year is one of the things they do that I agree with.
I realize that but like it or not ROAR still has the power to influence the standards. If they didn't then the Orginal 3300's wouldn't have been resized after their initial release.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Well the new Battery rules were approved. Now anything should be legal (44mm). Since the new LiPoly 4800 is out let the new battery wars begin.By the way the vote was again Poor!!!!!!!!!

Before getting your undies in a bunch....possibly you should re-read what you originally posted.

Nowhere does it say anything about it being an advisory vote. Quite the contrary, you stated that the new battery rules pass...and that the new battery rules were approved...

Many of us are not ROAR members (my local tracks did not require it this season, neither did the other tracks I travelled to for racing) but many tracks, clubs, etc look to ROAR for leadership when it comes to the establishing a standard for rules to create a level playing field for RC in Canada and the US.

I fully appreciate the hard work and time that the volunteers put into ROAR, but I also think that this thread brought up many very valid and constructive points regarding the timing of the vote, the consequences of the decision, and what the next logical steps are.

Again, I appreciated (as I'm sure do many of the others here) that you were tryign to inform the board(and vent a bit of frustration at the poor voter turnout), but the way the original post and title of this thread reads, it can be viewed as misinformation....the positive result of the ensuing discussion though, is that the matchers and manufacturers now know the logical next step to contact the ex-comm before any actual rule changes get put in place.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:35 AM
Tech Champion

I know how it was presented to me and that's how I posted it.Not only I was told that way by the higher ups.If you want changes in ROAR that can only be done one way- membership to vote! Until that happens you have to rely on my limited ways to try to get people to vote (in Florida).I'm getting tired of all this.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

well since the 44mm passed. i bet IB and GP are working on some new cells. any of the matching companies have any word on that? or are tehy just going to stick to their 43mm cell size. cuz wanna know if i am going to need to chop up my chassis anytime soon.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
C_O Jones: what is your home address? I can find out why you didn't get a RevUp until now. Nine times out of ten, serious, its the post office. RevUp is mailed 3rd class and that rarely gets the priority of 1st class. Although, the RevUP this time with the ballots, many were received one month after mailing. Even the ROAR Administrator did not receive his in the mail.
Actually, ninty times out of one hundred, the fault lies with the mailer, not the post office, because the address is either incomplete or incorrect. You are using a bulk business mailing permit, so "Rev-up" will never get treated like first-class mail. But that's why you're probably only paying about 1/3 of cost of first class. On the West Coast, it might only take 1~3 days to get to the addressee, but for the addresses on the east coast, it normally takes about 1~2 weeks for delivery and for Alaska and Hawaii, 3~4 weeks. BBM is transported by truck and in the case of Alaska and hawaii, via ship. Air transportation is reserved for non-metro (out of town) Express, Priority, and first class mail only. Since BBM uses surface transportation, things like snow, floods, and hurricanes can disrupt the flow of mail too.

BBM is forth class mail (ie:stardard), not third class. The post office restructed mail classifications in 2002 and third class mail service (along with second class mail) was abolished. It is now "standard" mail and handled the same way as Parcel Post. Another reason it is taking longer to get delivered.

Also, the business mailers "christmas" season starts in late September/early October, so the mail volume for BBM has sharply increased, so it is normal for BBM to take a month to get to it's destination at this time of year. That's why your mailbox is jammed full with market ads and catalogs. If you are not happy with the time it take for delivery, then start sending REV Up out First Class. To put it in r/c racing terms, you wouldn't expect to go to your LHS and spend $10 on a silver can 540 motor, and be disappointed that it doesn't perform like a $70+, 6 turn quad modified motor?

The ROAR offices are located in Laguna Beach, but your mail permit is in San Dimas, so you are probably using a third party mailer to handle "Rev Up", correct? It would be best to make sure that the mailing list they have from you is up to date. Unlike First Class, BBM is not forwarded, nor is it returned to the sender, if it is "not deliverable as addressed". Undeliverable BBM is considered waste, and is then handled as such. Little things like; not including the direction (North, South, East, or West), street description (St, Ave, Ct, Dr), apartment unit numbers or incorrect zip code will cause BBM from being delivered. Los Angeles District P&DC processes well over 10 million mail pieces a day. Santa Ana District (which handles your mailings) probably handles the same volume too. The post office processes about the same volume of mail pieces in one week, that it takes UPS a whole year to do, and we do it for less money too (and without using any of your tax dollars either). Yes, we make mistakes from time to time, but we're getting in done right almost all the time.

As a representative of ROAR, I know you don't like it when people take cheap shots at your organization. As a twenty year employee of the USPS, perhaps you can understand that I wouldn't appreciate seeing you or your organization making unfounded statements on a public forum like R/C Tech. All you had to do is ask the fellow for his correct address, to insure that your mailer has the correct information on file. If Rev Up is not being delivered when you want them to get there, you're either going to have to get your commercial mailer to ship them out earlier or send them via First-Class (at an increase in cost).

TC
Old 11-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

I understand your frustration...look at the confusion that still exists..even after all of this!!

You, as a regional director, were told that it passed....people believe that the rules are now passed and it was set....

According to Dawn, it was only an advisory vote and it will not be made official or instituted until it is voted on by the executive committee...

so....NO..it has not passed....yet...If things cannot be communicated clearly to a regional director...how can we expect them to communicate to the general membership
Old 11-22-2005, 08:35 AM
JKA
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mr_postman
If Rev Up is not being delivered when you want them to get there, you're either going to have to get your commercial mailer to ship them out earlier or send them via First-Class (at an increase in cost).
TC
... or go online and no longer waste money mailing hard copy versions.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BullFrog
For all of you out there I've read most of what was printed on this thread I started.The information given to me was that only 3300's would pass and all of the newer 3700-3800 would not. I went to my sources and found out differently.Only the new "IP" battery was looking for and exemption basically. It was put on the ballot to allow 44mm batteries which everyone was following except "IP".I went out and got people to vote against this rule (24 no votes) All from Florida.The more I read lately the more I'm thinking I don't think this thankless job for 15 years is worth it and I am done.Maybe I 'll finish this years term or maybe not.
If your a ROAR member VOTE if your not ..............................
I'm a ROAR member and I voted.Yes
Old 11-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I sent an email to every one on the ROAR exec commitee to inform them of what I think the rule should be and that if they wanted to have some of info that I have to why I think the rule should be what I mentioned then they could contact me. I only got a reply from Dawn.

ROAR needs to let everyone know what they will do with the battery rule and do it real soon.

IB is ready to retool and go to 44mm if they need to. I'm almost ready to tell them to do so since ROAR can't let us know what is going on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.