Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Eeyan, I believe that one of the xtreme rc guys was doing a review on the Evo3 at socal about a month ago. I don't recall if he did well in his main but I did offer him my car to drive around after all the mains were finished (and this was when my car was dialed) Unfortunately he passed on the offer. I wish he took me up on so that he can feel the Evo3 at max potential.

Also, about the Evo3 being slow. I've seen some evo3's cruising around that have been running kinda flat. In all of those cases, I asked the owners if they blew out the bearings and tried "dry" lubricants such as white ligthning on their gears and all of them said "no". I believe that it is important to have an ultra free drive train to go ballistic. If I remove the wheels and pinion from my Evo3, I can blow on the spur gear and the drivetrain will spin up almost effortlessly. That and a chassis that's 200g underweight will make any car veeery fast but it's what your car does in the corners that makes your car a winner.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

hi guys,

I have to agree with you about cornering means winning, thats how I won my races, kept out of everyone's way. But the car just isn't as fast as I'd like. weove got a guy running a Ta03 (stock chassis) and a stock 540 motor that is faster in straight line speed. Drives me nuts but i'll pay with ratios and seee how I go, whats everyones gear ratios that they are using?
Old 02-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well one things for sure... you dont gear an evo2 the same as a TC3. I tried to match the ratio others are using but it didn't work... i was way slow... I just started gearing up until i could keep up. The fast setup for my track is 81/25 on the tc3 with p2k.
I had to run a 61/25 just to keep up with the same motor.
now i'm running 66/28. to got bit faster on my evo2. I'd guess the same would be for the evo 3....since it has the same internal ratio.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I find it weird that people are saying the car is slow. If your drive train spins free and is not binding and is geared properly there is no reason the car itself can be slow. Make sure everything is free and you are geared properly and you should not have any problems. As stated earlier the internal drive is 2.6, I am geared between 7.5 to 7.8 with a monster stock on a medium to large carpet track running rubber tires .
Old 02-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Weaponx is gearing his evo the same way I gear my tc3 and we race on the same track. Neither of the cars are slow we are always at the top of the pack.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

well last night i was running at 6.00 but one of the guys suggested going to about 7 with a rollout around 31 which i will try, but I mean I was on par with TC3s and RC1L3s all night, but no experienced drivers, my skills as a driver were the determining factor, which i odn't mind just I would like a bit more speed
Old 02-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default David Jun's Novak Race Setup

For those of you who are intrested in DJ's setup, here is a much larger screen cap of the pdf file. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-Evolution III-evo3novaksetup.gif  
Old 02-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Speed issues

Thanks for the tips.

Since i run foam tires-I do everthing by rollout, not fnal drive ratios. I tried 0.99 to 1.15 and tried Handout motors (Mine are whicked fast) and a fresh and fast Monster stocks. I am telling you-nothjing helped. Even after cleaning the grease out of the bearings on the outdrives and driveline and removing one seal per bearing. For comparison-I can go pretty quick anywhere from 1.00 to 1.10 on my TC3-just one has more top speed, one has more bottom. Depends on layout, RPM of motor chosen (P2K2, Handout or MS) and general speed of infield determines the rollout-but its always in that range. And-yup-I have been using a transmission ratio of 2.6 all along.

I dont know-maybe I am just missing something obvious!!
Old 02-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Ray keep looking I am sure you are missing something it is not a slow car at all (I wish I had one )
Old 02-08-2003, 04:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

kingzj-When I get it back from my buddy-I am sure it'll be free and fast. I love its handlings so I am sure it has a ton of potential. I just wish there was a Tamiya TCS race withn a couple hundred miles of here so I could try and qualify for the Nats someday!!!
Old 02-08-2003, 05:15 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

I've changed to a diff in the front 2 weeks ago. Last night testing I had a very hard front impact with no damage to the diff teeth. I have stripped 2 one-way gears with lesser impacts, so it appears that the diff gears are ok and just a problem with the one-way gears
Old 02-08-2003, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Their is a race at my local track at the end of the month. It usually is the largest tcs race of the year it definatly has the toughest competition but its all fun and the program runs very smoothly. I will be racing gt2 with my ta04r but their will be a large gt1 class with some evo3's in it
Old 02-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by rtypec
If I remove the wheels and pinion from my Evo3, I can blow on the spur gear and the drivetrain will spin up almost effortlessly.
Are you serious, or just trying to get a point across?
Old 02-08-2003, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Default Blow with what?

Compressor @ 100 psi?
Old 02-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

well, i finally did it. Took 8hrs or so (still need to set it up) but i finally understand what yall talking about. front one way gear is major warped. you can feel it just by turning the wheel..at one point its harder to turn. I put the stainless screws on this one too...it looks very purty. I love how smooth the shocks are...and of course, I didn't blow out the bearings so its got some drag. but there's no play on the arms at all or the steering either(very nice)
still waiting for the other parts to come in.(RX and misc. items)
if you want some major space saving advice... get the Mtronics M3 cubic. its even smaller than the quantums. I'm looking forward to running this thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.