Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 05:41 AM
Tech Adept

I managed to remove about 30 grams from the rotating mass of the EVO 3 Surikarn Limited:

- Replaced front one-way with a normal diff (- 15 grams)
- Replaced propeller shaft with a graphite one (- 7 grams)
- Replaced wheel axles with titanium ones (- 8 grams)

I found that the TB EVO 3 is faster with a normal diff than a one-way on our local track, which is a huge asphalt one outdoors. The front one-way is too heavy as well
Old 10-28-2003, 06:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by rtypec
RC Mania: Have a closer look at the smaller crown gears that go onto the main drive shaft, particularly the rears. Do they look like they are spiraling towards one direction? If so that means that they gears are not properly meshing. Try using the 10mm shims on the diff gear to mesh it closer with the crown. You can also check to see if it's those gears by having a friend hold the front wheels while you hold both rear tires and try to spin them. They shouldn't budge...or the will start clicking/giving way/stripping with considerable force.

I hope this helps.
There is clicking sound when I turn the rear wheels while holding on to the front wheels. The crown and diff gear slips. I will try shimming the rear diff. BTW the crown gears are ok. Thks.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

whats the graphit prop shaft like?!?!?!?
How does it to for the drive train, how about the one way prob?
Do the ends fit the pinions better?

cheers

Tarnjit
Old 10-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Evoracer
Hey, does anybody know if Tamiya is planning on being a sponsor of the Snowbird Nationals if Florida ?? So far they are not listed in the sponsor list on the Snowbirds website. www.snowbirdnationals.com
Are any Tamiya drivers planning on attending?? I went to last years meet and I think only 2 drivers were there and I believe only 1 drove an EVO3. It was disappointing to be wearing a Tamiya shirt with no top drivers to support.
Fernando was only Tamiya team driver at Snowbird 2003. He was running 414MII though. I'm sure next year he will be there again with EvoIII Surikarn Edition.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Guys,

I've just fitted my Futaba 9550 Servo and the steering arm which fits onto the ball joint part of the Tamiya-Futaba servo saver jams against the Servo body when I turn full right.

The servo saver doesn't provide enough space between it and the servo case - anyone else had this problem?

Cheers, Mark.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:51 PM
Tech Rookie

McLaren

Can you tell me the parts number of the graphite propeller shaft and the titanium wheel axles. Are they Tamiya???
Yoy give a good tip..congratulations!!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 12:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by McLaren
I managed to remove about 30 grams from the rotating mass of the EVO 3 Surikarn Limited:

- Replaced front one-way with a normal diff (- 15 grams)
- Replaced propeller shaft with a graphite one (- 7 grams)
- Replaced wheel axles with titanium ones (- 8 grams)

I found that the TB EVO 3 is faster with a normal diff than a one-way on our local track, which is a huge asphalt one outdoors. The front one-way is too heavy as well
McLaren HI:

McLaren

Can you tell me the parts number of the graphite propeller shaft and the titanium wheel axles. Are they Tamiya???
Yoy give a good tip..congratulations!!!!

Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by markp27
Hi Guys,

I've just fitted my Futaba 9550 Servo and the steering arm which fits onto the ball joint part of the Tamiya-Futaba servo saver jams against the Servo body when I turn full right.

The servo saver doesn't provide enough space between it and the servo case - anyone else had this problem?

Cheers, Mark.
Try Using the Kimbrough ( i think thats how its spelt LOL) servo savers???, i have never seen any probs with them.... maybe you have tooo much steering throw set????

cheers
Will
Old 10-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mark, there is a short and long arm make sure you use the long arm. It has the larger holes in it.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Penguin Back Plate?

I know some of you already have the Penguin back plate for the front one-way. Now, the initial testing have been promising, but it's been a couple of weeks now. How are those holding up?

Also for the people with the Jurgen one-way. How are those holding up?
Old 10-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Steevo
I find that if you are meticulous in the way you build the front gear assembly and you shim the one-way so it sits a little harder against the pinion gear, as rtypec said, then you will have MUCH LESS problem with the one way gear stripping.

I have done this and now my one-way holds up very well, unless I have a MAJOR Impact on the right front of the car forcing the bevel gear to move away from the pinion slightly.

The car is now a joy to drive and much less hassle...

steevo
I agree,
You really don't need to spend the money on new one-ways, backing plates etc. The one-way stripping problem IS fixable with the use of 10mm shimms and a careful build. I have not stripped a gear in over a dozen packs and I am pretty much a novice driver..
Old 10-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ok.....Just because you have had no problems doesnt mean squat,12 runs are nothing.Most dont go that long with the stock gear before problems start.There are gonna be the exceptions like yourself,but don't make generalized statements for others when they are having issues and your comments are not helping.The Jurgen oneway fix is excellent and so is the penguin backing plate.You are fortunate but not credible.you are one of a few and most are one of many with problems with the front end.Not thier fault.Tamiyas fault.Hopefully they can restore faith in thier loyal customers.

I agree with steevos and rctype in thier statement,but disagree with you totally custom.

Stonegti...you know my take on this situation.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by markp27
Hi Guys,

Cheers, Mark.
Mark...

I used the 9550 in my EVO but I do not use a servo saver. I use the solid KO arm and it works fine when I turn to the right. Just like Difuser mentioned, use the longer arm.

I also noticed that there where problems with the TAMIYA white servo saver. All of mine, even new ones do not recenter. When coming onto the straight it either drifts to the right or to the left but never locked in the center. I looked at the saver and there is a bit of play in it. Even when I used a new one.

Have any one tried the new black servo saver? Is there a difference in material?
Old 10-28-2003, 03:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Does anyone have a link for the company that makes the 3mm low CG chassis for the Evo 3? I'm looking for pics, but cant find them.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Randman
Does anyone have a link for the company that makes the 3mm low CG chassis for the Evo 3? I'm looking for pics, but cant find them.
http://www.rc-square.com/parts0023.htm

square makes them. that that's the like on top!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.