Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by Jeff Werner
Still doing research on this car and wanted to know how does the car stack up interms of drivetrain effecientcy and free spin? Is this car a good fit for stock as well as mod in terms of drivetrain?

Thanks for helping guys!

Jeff W.
this is easily the most free drive train that you can get. at the recent ROAR on-road carpet nationals at Twin City hobbay and raceway in minnesota, i handed my car to Josh Cyrul after we had been discussing drive train efficiency. he took one spin of my drive train and said "i think you've got me beat." and he spends a long time working on his drivetrain, and uses ceramic bearings.

so, what i'm telling you, is that this is absolutly the most effecient drive train you can get, hands down. and you won't have to be a josh cyrul to get it that way.

peter
Old 03-26-2003, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Peter,

One thing to keep in mind is that you're talking about a no-load drive train.
Where a drivetrain with gears will beat a belt-drive anyday.

When running a car, you'll be applying a load.
When a beltdriven car is driven it becomes more efficient (under load) whereas a gear/axle drivetrain will become less efficient...
Somewhere in between there will be point where one becomes more efficient than the other.
This might vary per track...

Just a thought.

BTW I own a TC3 as well as an Evo3...

Pizza
Old 03-26-2003, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

KilRuf yes the tires are belted and you were probably right in Temp for them insert can be tricky with the A's too soft and they squirm and too hard they scrub off and don't bite. I like a touch fuller than the blue and a touch firmer.

Jeff I still run the kit bearings and I am almost as free as pete's car I will switch to the Blue sealed bearing prob just before Reedy.

I have found the window to be big with set-up in mind both with a 1-way and diff either seems to work great, just switch in or out either one depending on driving styles/track conditions

Someone insinuated that as factory drivers we say the car is super free and the car is the best thing since sliced bread. IT truly is a great car I think there are some issues with the front diff/1-way they are being solved with the upcomig Surikarn car and the related hop-ups as I understand it.

Also Pete and I are not paid to say this as a matter of fact we aren't paid at all we are helped in our racing program though.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The Tamiya evo3 is free and it handles great. There-thats from a non-factory guy!!!!

Ray
Old 03-26-2003, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

my evo 3 spins very smoothly but not near any 10 seconds that I´ve read some people stating, more like 2-3 seconds
I´ve the kit bearings btw
Old 03-26-2003, 12:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Front Diff

Anyone have complete diff kits yet? My evo3 just went brushless with the novak system, In one word AWSOME
Old 03-26-2003, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

the kit tryes are not belted! there just plan old a's, its the reinforced A's that are belted.
the tyres in my kits where definity not belted!
Old 03-26-2003, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Not sure what tires you have GT any of the 24mm A's are belted they have not produced a non-belted 24mm for that matter all of the 26mm A's and B's are belted also
Old 03-26-2003, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Difuser , sorry about that, i've been looking in up now and you must be right.
the reason i didn't think they were belted was because if i hold one wheel at the back then go full noise. the spinning wheel ballons ups, i heard belted tires stop this and the belted tires i got don't seem to do that.
sorry again.
anyway while were on the subject of wheels do u need a hole inside the rim and how big should it be?
Old 03-26-2003, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

GT no issues just trying to help clarify

It depends on the Air gap you are running and how much traction you are looking for if you are running a gap but sealed tires you can tune by the size of the hole.

In F1 at Tamiya last year there was some running up to 3 holes in the rim but the tires were almost 1 run wonders
Old 03-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

the rims i'm using at the moment don't have anyholes at all
could i get more traction with a small hole or 2?
Old 03-26-2003, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by theisgroup
can you tell me what the update is from tech racing and where to purchase?

thanks
The update is a metal disk and 4 screws which back the oneway gear, it's supposed to strengthen the gear.

Part number is EV0001 I think, Rainbow Ten usually stock it. I haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

Tony
Old 03-27-2003, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Have you guys seen the new yokomo MR4TC SD
The layout sure looks very close to our TB Evo 3
check this out for more details
http://www.yokomousa.com/newproducts...r_4tc_sd1.html
Old 03-27-2003, 08:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

lol.. that was wht I told my friend when he showed me the MR4-TC SD that he was so proud of. heheh.. I showed him a graph layout of the TB Evo3, and all he can say was "shutup." makes u wonder huh?? heheh.. Yoke spies sneaking into Tamiya R&D facilities to gather info? u never know
Old 03-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Im still having problems with my rear diff getting gritty really quickly(2-3 runs). I race on an open permanent asphelt track(quite dusty). Is there any way I can minimise this? My TC3 has a kind of dust cover for the thrust bearing, is there an equivilent for the EVO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.