Team Associated TC7 & TC7.1 Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clydeywidey1

Great idea, but I’ve already done that

any other ideas?
Better servo saver? Do you run an aluminum servo horn? Make sure the couplers are really free and oiled.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:16 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

This happened to my friends car tonight. He bought it used from a guy that ran it with a 17.5. No explanation as to why it broke. We advised him to check his drive line for bind, etc,. If we find anything we'll let you know.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a question (sorry if its been answered somewhere in the previous 198 pages in this thread).

I recently picked up a used 7.1, I tore the entire car down and cleaned every part and checked each for wear and damage. I am now rebuilding and notice that the manual calls for a rubber seal (shaped like a shamrock) to be used in the 7.1's oil filled diff'. I did not see this rubber seal present when I tore the car down. I do see the rubber seals for sale online and found the part number. I'll place an order, but curious does the rubber seal go into the groove that is present on one half of the diff and get sandwiched between the two halves (when put back together)? I see that the other half of the diff has a raised area that mimics the shape of the rubber seal, it looks like that raised area would sandwich the seal between it and the groove on the other half of the diff. -Is that correct?

thanks,
Old 12-03-2018, 02:00 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by eR1c
I have a question (sorry if its been answered somewhere in the previous 198 pages in this thread).

I recently picked up a used 7.1, I tore the entire car down and cleaned every part and checked each for wear and damage. I am now rebuilding and notice that the manual calls for a rubber seal (shaped like a shamrock) to be used in the 7.1's oil filled diff'. I did not see this rubber seal present when I tore the car down. I do see the rubber seals for sale online and found the part number. I'll place an order, but curious does the rubber seal go into the groove that is present on one half of the diff and get sandwiched between the two halves (when put back together)? I see that the other half of the diff has a raised area that mimics the shape of the rubber seal, it looks like that raised area would sandwich the seal between it and the groove on the other half of the diff. -Is that correct?

thanks,
Yes, that is correct. The seal goes into the groove. Make sure that it lays flat as sometimes they tend to twist a bit.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JC3
This happened to my friends car tonight. He bought it used from a guy that ran it with a 17.5. No explanation as to why it broke. We advised him to check his drive line for bind, etc,. If we find anything we'll let you know.

My buddies BD9 did the same thing on Saturday.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, that is correct. The seal goes into the groove. Make sure that it lays flat as sometimes they tend to twist a bit.
Thanks!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:42 PM
jpx
Tech Adept

Thanks!
Make sure that the seal still isn‘t left in the grooved part! :-)
If the diff was kept closed for a longer time, you might not recognize the seal at first sight.
A needle handled carefully might help to get it out.
eR1c and JC3 like this.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Make sure that the seal still isn‘t left in the grooved part! :-)
If the diff was kept closed for a longer time, you might not recognize the seal at first sight.
A needle handled carefully might help to get it out.
thanks, yeah, I triple checked ...the grooved area is hard and there is no seal in there. I also checked my work area, etc... to see if it fell out when I split the two halves apart. Doesn't look like there is one present or was one, ..none the less I've already ordered a new seal. ...I am noticing quite a few other minor things that are off w/ this car, fortunately I have torn the entire thing down, am in the process of cleaning everything and then will rebuild and replace anything that is worn or broken. I have a seriously bent body post which wasn't noticeable until I removed the bumper (this will slightly effect the position of the body I mount). Also there was an extra shim on one side of the front A-arm yet the other A-arm did not have the same shim (one side had 2 small shims the other only 1). -so not surprised that a seal in the diff' was missing w/ all the other little things. I am guessing this car was put together quickly and/or not carefully. (got this on eBay, for pretty cheap, ..going to use it for VTA for my 12 yr son who is really enjoying racing).
aracefan likes this.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:28 PM
jpx
Tech Adept

thanks, yeah, I triple checked ...the grooved area is hard and there is no seal in there. I also checked my work area, etc... to see if it fell out when I split the two halves apart. Doesn't look like there is one present or was one, ..none the less I've already ordered a new seal. ...I am noticing quite a few other minor things that are off w/ this car, fortunately I have torn the entire thing down, am in the process of cleaning everything and then will rebuild and replace anything that is worn or broken. I have a seriously bent body post which wasn't noticeable until I removed the bumper (this will slightly effect the position of the body I mount). Also there was an extra shim on one side of the front A-arm yet the other A-arm did not have the same shim (one side had 2 small shims the other only 1). -so not surprised that a seal in the diff' was missing w/ all the other little things. I am guessing this car was put together quickly and/or not carefully. (got this on eBay, for pretty cheap, ..going to use it for VTA for my 12 yr son who is really enjoying racing).
Sounds good!
I expect he‘ll love the car!
I really liked my TC7 and wouldn‘t have changed to TC7.2 if it wasn‘t a good occasion.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:17 PM
JC3
Tech Master

I've purchased two used TC7.1's. In both cases, I've been shocked at how poorly the kits were put together. Parts in the wrong places, thread locker on everything, bad bearings, missing washers, DCV's that were never serviced, etc,. Like you, I disassembled and overhauled both of them to like new condition. 100% satisfied with them after weekly practices and races for over six months now. AE is a quality product for sure.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Steering....

I’m having a bit of a debate maybe you guys can help with. I’m doing my best to have equal amount of EPA adjustment from side to side on my 7PX. I have my servo horn mounted slightly to the right, and the rack it self centered. After I adjust my settings degree to 25-26 per side with the turnbuckles. I have a un even adjustment to make on the radio. 80 left 119 right. My thought is that the travel distance is different on the wheel making the ratio for the same turn different. If that makes any sense.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JC3

I have experienced this, but it took a full speed collision with a barrier that didn't move when I hit it. It doesn't always break like this, but it does happen. Also, the piece that this drive shaft connects to, called a coupler tube, is a cast steel part that can fracture under the same, full speed hit. This is why I do not use the aluminum axles.
JC3 likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:28 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by davidl
I have experienced this, but it took a full speed collision with a barrier that didn't move when I hit it. It doesn't always break like this, but it does happen. Also, the piece that this drive shaft connects to, called a coupler tube, is a cast steel part that can fracture under the same, full speed hit. This is why I do not use the aluminum axles.
Yes, another guy I race with had a coupler that split in half the other day. No obvious impacts as he's a good driver. Might just have been a cumulative effect.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beyondthepack
I’m having a bit of a debate maybe you guys can help with. I’m doing my best to have equal amount of EPA adjustment from side to side on my 7PX. I have my servo horn mounted slightly to the right, and the rack it self centered. After I adjust my settings degree to 25-26 per side with the turnbuckles. I have a un even adjustment to make on the radio. 80 left 119 right. My thought is that the travel distance is different on the wheel making the ratio for the same turn different. If that makes any sense.
Is the horn to the right looking from the rear of the car? If so, that's likely your problem. It's been my experience that the horn should be slightly tilted outward (left) at center/neutral.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:17 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by beyondthepack
I always offset my servo horn/saver to the right looking from the rear. So, I always have uneven left right EPA settings. I'd say that if you want them even, set the servo horn straight up and down. Or, offset the servo horn and then limit the EPA left/right to 80/80.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.