Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fixed all pictures in this thread.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:13 PM
Tech Champion

Minor update to this vehicle: I replaced the steel rear CVDs and steel rear-diff outdrives with aluminum parts to save a few grams, because I'm currently on a weight-saving kick with my touring cars. The aluminum outdrives are from the TA-06, and the 39mm aluminum rear axles are from the TA-04. Since this car only uses its rear axle to assist with hard acceleration, the rear axle components are freewheeling most of the time and not accumulating significant wear, so I don't anticipate any meaningful reduction in durability by switching to aluminum.

So that's good for about 6 grams of weight reduction. Not a lot, but eh, it kept me off the street for a couple hours.
Kahmed79 likes this.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Great, now I need to get an XV01! Love seeing cool projects like this.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

The XV-01 is the best touring car in the world for driving on bumpy pavement. In stock form it has several mm more ground clearance than most touring cars, and if you need even more ground clearance (up to 25mm total) you can install longer shocks and taller shock towers to convert it into a rally car. The front motor keeps the front wheels planted, so it's pretty easy to oversteer, but it's also very easy to control the oversteer -- which is good, because on dusty pavement your options for sharp cornering at high speed are pretty much limited to powersliding anyway. Better to oversteer and look awesome than to understeer and crash headlong into the curb.

The only real difficult compromise I've discovered with this chassis is tuning the front shocks. Because the motor is all the way at the front of the car, the front shocks need to be tuned pretty stiff to keep the front skidplate off the ground when driving over things like cracks in the pavement, and the stiff front shocks make the chassis bounce a little over less-severe bumps. Progressive damping would be nice, but I don't know of anyone who makes progressive-damping shocks for Tamiya cars.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Appreciate this is an ancient thread but I'm keen to try this trick out on my own XV-01 (or a future second XV-01 ).

fyrstormer As has been asked before, how do you go about mounting the one-way pulley on the front gearbox? I might be wrong, but it doesn't appear to have the same fitting as the standard pulley.

Cheers.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:40 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cuiken
Appreciate this is an ancient thread but I'm keen to try this trick out on my own XV-01 (or a future second XV-01 ).

fyrstormer As has been asked before, how do you go about mounting the one-way pulley on the front gearbox? I might be wrong, but it doesn't appear to have the same fitting as the standard pulley.

Cheers.
The one-way pulley is actually mounted to the rear gearbox, in my case. But regardless of where it's mounted, it has a one-way bearing the correct diameter to fit on the driveshaft sticking out of the gearbox, and is held in-place by shims and an e-clip.