Like Tree1Likes

New IRIS by AME

Old 10-13-2015, 03:37 AM
  #61  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 586
Default

One gotta be close to Andreas to fully understand the effort, passion and Knowledge he putted into IRIS.

There is no way you dissociate this project from Awesomatix, diferent concepts we know but in terms of doing something diferent in the RC scene, and we all know the effort they put into marketing and they sell. But you have to understand that this is a one man project with no money whatsoever. In the meantime Andreas had to work to get money to keep living a normal life.

I'm is personal friend and most probably thats why i have a diferent point of view, thats only why i've posted this and not to get on you guys, because i understand your point of view, but believe me he did more than he could.

Regarding SrD, wich i'm the face behind, TLR is totally right and i should have done something before, but did it now. Honestly SrD is growing more than i could ever imagine and i'm just focused on doing it the right way, wich is a BIG task in the moment. You can check it here: https://www.facebook.com/strawberryrcdesigns
jorgesimes is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 03:55 AM
  #62  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 120
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

why plan a kickstarter if you can't even spare the time to update and promote it? it is not about money, but about planning and effort.

has he checked how kickstarter works? has he seen what other successful projects do?

i can appreciate he also has a real job, but 1 update and no replies in almost 20 days? none of his sponsors even mention it? not sure what he was thinking i hope the project can survive this level of carelessness.
atomic garden is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 04:23 AM
  #63  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 586
Default

Like i said i understand your point of view. But theres more than a project on play here.
jorgesimes is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 07:55 AM
  #64  
Bar
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 579
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by svndayNZ View Post
RC needs people like Andreas trying these things, Kickstarter will not draw a commercial crowd.
RC is not a smart commercial decision. You don't have Ferrari dreams opening a hobby shop. You do it for the passion.

Tamiya corp is a $100 million company to give an example, it sounds big. But by comparison to other businesses globally it is absolutely tiny. Yokomo is quite cash rich but they are a $20 million company.
They do have access to funds though so a collaborative effort might have been a better spend.

In saying that it will come down to Andreas promoting the living daylights out of it.
RC needs something like this to happen.
I think it was last year that Kentech posted on his blog last years earnings for some of the biggest RC manufacturers, Tamiya were in profit where as Yokomo had actually lost money
Bar is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:03 AM
  #65  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 586
Default

http://kentech.blogs.se/2015/02/03/t...bers-20049722/
jorgesimes is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 PM
  #66  
Tech Master
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,497
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by The Big Wig View Post
I've seen that but the only thing that I can conclude of this video is that the diff is havier than a plastic one. 1/8 scale buggy and 1/10 scale nitro use plastic diffs for 1h long mains and they don't seem to suffer from it. I mean the difference between a straight and satellite gear diff.
The new diff is made from straight cut gears where others use bevel gears. Both work fine.
glennhl is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 12:31 PM
  #67  
Tech Master
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,497
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by The Big Wig View Post
Obviously a very nice design but way to complicated. Look at how many years it took Awsomatix to make a good car. Torsion springs are only used in real F1 for packaging and aerodynamics. Yokomo used those hubs before Schumacher but only on drift cars. A simple torsion bar works wonders and is used on most real racing cars too. Playing devils advocate here..
Actually torsion bar springs were used in the old Roadsters that ran at Indy in the 50's and 60's. They are still used in some midgets and sprint cars. And my old 1974 911S had torsion bars front and rear. The big advantage is they are easy to package, but so are coil overs.

These guys are saying the big advantage is it's easier to have a tighter tolerance on the spring rate using torsion bars. The spring rate of both a torsion bar and coil spring has the wire diameter to the fourth power, so wire diameter is extremely important. The coil springs also has the mean diameter cubed and the number of active coils in the equation. The torsion bar has the length, so it is a fact that torsion bars should be easier to maintain a tighter spring rate tolerance. However, if that were critical, it wouldn't be that hard to measure the coil springs and match them.
glennhl is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 12:53 PM
  #68  
Tech Adept
 
The Big Wig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: A.K.A. Barry White
Posts: 171
Default

Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
Actually torsion bar springs were used in the old Roadsters that ran at Indy in the 50's and 60's. They are still used in some midgets and sprint cars. And my old 1974 911S had torsion bars front and rear. The big advantage is they are easy to package, but so are coil overs.

These guys are saying the big advantage is it's easier to have a tighter tolerance on the spring rate using torsion bars. The spring rate of both a torsion bar and coil spring has the wire diameter to the fourth power, so wire diameter is extremely important. The coil springs also has the mean diameter cubed and the number of active coils in the equation. The torsion bar has the length, so it is a fact that torsion bars should be easier to maintain a tighter spring rate tolerance. However, if that were critical, it wouldn't be that hard to measure the coil springs and match them.
True 911s, Bugs, all used them becouse that was cheaper and easier but those where bulky too. I mean the small short splined expensive machined ones.
The Big Wig is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 01:00 PM
  #69  
Bar
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 579
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

that was it thanks jorgesimes
Bar is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 04:30 PM
  #70  
Tech Master
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,497
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by The Big Wig View Post
True 911s, Bugs, all used them becouse that was cheaper and easier but those where bulky too. I mean the small short splined expensive machined ones.
Yes, I think torsion bars are very cool!
glennhl is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 04:39 PM
  #71  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (20)
 
svndayNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Auckland
Posts: 440
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Bar View Post
that was it thanks jorgesimes
Yup that's the one.
Neither company are publicly traded so it's always hard to track down exact figures. But Kentech is close to the beehive so he know's those that do.

Tamiya's profits come largely from their plastic model kits, pants and hobby kits.
TRF makes them no money and I've heard that from a number of sources. Hence them closing down their Off Road team because it just wasn't commercially viable.

I heard someone chest pumping the other day about how their choice of brand only makes "race" RC cars. No hobby kits no bashers just "race" RC cars and how that made them the best. The money doesn't come from Race cars.

A lot of us demand a S^&T load out of these RC companies, a lot.
Our demands as societies have gotten higher and harder to reach
.
Why isn't it drastically different each year?
Probably because it cost's hundreds of thousands of dollars for new moulding equipment, R&D and development.

I admire Andreas for this and I'll buy one. Because I admire him for what he's doing here.
Remember what he's doing is being done on the smell of an oily rag, late nights and plenty of cups of coffee.

Last edited by svndayNZ; 10-13-2015 at 08:30 PM.
svndayNZ is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 11:12 PM
  #72  
Tech Addict
 
Stein Tumert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway (Oslo) / Germany (Hamburg)
Posts: 560
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by svndayNZ View Post

I admire Andreas for this and I'll buy one. Because I admire him for what he's doing here.
Remember what he's doing is being done on the smell of an oily rag, late nights and plenty of cups of coffee.
+1
Stein Tumert is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 06:20 AM
  #73  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 106
Default

I just checked and Xray seems to be posting a healthy profit, and that with a fraction of the sales volume of Tamiya or Kyosho. There are actually quite a few manufacturers, so I don't thing it's a bad business to be in.

The IRIS is a very nice looking concept, with a lot of valid points and creative solutions. Hope it gets produced, even if the kickstarter campaign fails. Although I find that what the RC sport needs is to lower the initial costs more than anything else. So another 500+ euro chassis will not make a revolution here.
perzeus is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 07:30 AM
  #74  
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,110
Default

It looks like the area circled in red would be critical as far as slop management goes. Too tight and the behavior is ruined, while a tiny bit of slop could translate into a lot of vertical movement without dampening at the wheel. I guess an eccentric would take care of that, but there goes your ease of assembly and maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails New IRIS by AME-iris.jpg  
heretic is offline  
Old 10-14-2015, 10:41 AM
  #75  
Tech Master
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,497
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by heretic View Post
It looks like the area circled in red would be critical as far as slop management goes. Too tight and the behavior is ruined, while a tiny bit of slop could translate into a lot of vertical movement without dampening at the wheel. I guess an eccentric would take care of that, but there goes your ease of assembly and maintenance.
Fine minds think alike. This is exactly what I posted on post 53. Even if you happen to get minimal backlash on the gear mesh, wear could increase that backlash and cause a problem.
glennhl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.