Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree552Likes

New IRIS by AME

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 02:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Does anyone know who that guy is with the 2 belt IRIS?
Old 01-24-2024, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Isn't it Tim Benson?
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

From Tim Benson last year.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Teacher
I wish IRIS would come out with a 2 belt drive train. Here in the US where most of the big classes are spec or stock motors the 3 belt system is just not good. I tried everything with my IRIS ONE.5 and it always was a tenth to 2 tenths off. Switched over to an X4 and now my hot laps are right there with the fast guys (at least in the classes I run).
The Problem what I see with the 3-Belt is that many people make the belt tightnes like with 2, but as you have 3 belt with big pullies you can drive them WAY loser then the 2, I think this compensates everything in the belts
BuggyFan21 likes this.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

Andreas goes 5th on the grid 17.5 sedan at the birds,all the hard work is paying off
Isaac, Lonestar and DavidNERODease like this.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:33 AM
Tech Regular

Andreas running well in 17.5 and Fronty's hard work is paying off in finding a good setup for the CRC carpet
Old 02-07-2024, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default By that logic...

I wish IRIS would come out with a 2 belt drive train. Here in the US where most of the big classes are spec or stock motors the 3 belt system is just not good. I tried everything with my IRIS ONE.5 and it always was a tenth to 2 tenths off. Switched over to an X4 and now my hot laps are right there with the fast guys (at least in the classes I run).
if 2 belts is better then 3 belts...
then you should definitely go with 1 belt...
And if that's not fast enuff , go with zero belts>>> get shafted!^^
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 02-08-2024, 02:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

foampervert, your assessment is not very good and here is why. With both a 1 belt and a 2 belt car you still need at least 1 center pulley assembly to transfer the power from the motor to the belt system. However with a 3 belt system you need an additional pulley assembly to complete the drive train....that's 2 pulleys, 1 additional belt and 2 bearings extra. All of those things cause friction on the drive train...and as you know is not good for stock/spec racing. As for shaft drive cars they have torque steer due to the position of the motor in the car which is a totally different subject all together....like comparing apples to oranges.
glennhl likes this.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Shafted! Xpress AT1! Noticeably less torque steer, great car! But hey, to each their own, I still have the Iris one, and the newer XQ 11, both are good cars, It really comes down to driving and setup.
I think the Iris is one of those things that you just have to approach differently in regards to setup.
Kinda like the new EV situation, it’s something you have to wrap your head around, a lot of people just can’t get past thinking you need 400 miles of range, you really don’t, as with the Iris, there is the need to think differently.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

foampervert, your assessment is not very good and here is why. With both a 1 belt and a 2 belt car you still need at least 1 center pulley assembly to transfer the power from the motor to the belt system. However with a 3 belt system you need an additional pulley assembly to complete the drive train....that's 2 pulleys, 1 additional belt and 2 bearings extra. All of those things cause friction on the drive train...and as you know is not good for stock/spec racing. As for shaft drive cars they have torque steer due to the position of the motor in the car which is a totally different subject all together....like comparing apples to oranges.
I´m not agreeing 100%, by the 2 big pulleys the increase in friction is almost not existend.
also the thinner belts and far less tension in it decreases the friction.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hope someone can take the time to measure amp draw with and without motor pinion on between a 3 belt and traditional 2 belt to see which has more friction. Remove the dogbones/cvds to purely measure the drivetrain/belts friction only.
The Teacher and bertrandsv87 like this.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
Hope someone can take the time to measure amp draw with and without motor pinion on between a 3 belt and traditional 2 belt to see which has more friction. Remove the dogbones/cvds to purely measure the drivetrain/belts friction only.
Really would be a waste of time because everything The Teacher stated was correct. So if you want to spend the time, all you will do is prove The Teacher is brilliant and some of us already know this.
The Teacher and WEEZY like this.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We are RCTech where we waste time testing and validating. Otherwise will just be RCPhilosophy

But seriously if Andreas says it is less friction then it would be a nice experiment to measure and validate just to satisfy techie curiosity.

Car is so different I would not conclude tenths off to be due to transmission. It could be due to suspension geometry, balance, flex, unsprung weight, torsion spring, a myriad of other factors

Will see Andreas race the car in 3 weeks time in Thailand and cheer he does well.
busman likes this.

Last edited by rccartips; 02-08-2024 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by glennhl
Really would be a waste of time because everything The Teacher stated was correct. So if you want to spend the time, all you will do is prove The Teacher is brilliant and some of us already know this.
even the brilliantest of the people are sometimes wrong

I think Andreas stated it before that there is almost no difference and I think he will no best his car!

But just for curiosity I will test it on the weekend between my Awe and my IRIS.
rccartips likes this.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mailman81
even the brilliantest of the people are sometimes wrong

I think Andreas stated it before that there is almost no difference and I think he will no best his car!

But just for curiosity I will test it on the weekend between my Awe and my IRIS.
Andreas stated ALMOST no difference. That's probably true, but that statement is more about marketing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.