Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to forums!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey sup guys,

So this past weekend I scoped out some tracks, and got some valuable info!. The one track is indoor carpet, and the second is a outdoor parking lot. So most of the people are running the sakura xi platform, so help in setting up would be plentiful!. There is two classes running this platform "215tc" running any esc, any body, believe it's 1s, or Nimh running 21.5t motors. Second class "135tc" is the step up. Same rules just bump to 2s, and 13.5t.

So after alot of tough I'm gona go with..

Sakura xi sport
Hobbystar 1/10 competition 120a turbo esc, comes with 21.5t but plan on moving up into 13.5t soon.

What do you guys think of the chassis, and esc combo?
Also anyone suggest a good transmitter?
Old 09-08-2015, 04:18 AM
Tech Rookie

What are the main changes in setting up the car between carpet and asphalt.. tires, suspension adjustments, and gears correct?
Old 09-08-2015, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Inline560
Hey sup guys,

So this past weekend I scoped out some tracks, and got some valuable info!. The one track is indoor carpet, and the second is a outdoor parking lot. So most of the people are running the sakura xi platform, so help in setting up would be plentiful!. There is two classes running this platform "215tc" running any esc, any body, believe it's 1s, or Nimh running 21.5t motors. Second class "135tc" is the step up. Same rules just bump to 2s, and 13.5t.

So after alot of tough I'm gona go with..

Sakura xi sport
Hobbystar 1/10 competition 120a turbo esc, comes with 21.5t but plan on moving up into 13.5t soon.

What do you guys think of the chassis, and esc combo?
Also anyone suggest a good transmitter?
It's what I suggested to look at in the beginning:

Originally Posted by DirkW
Hey Paul,

being "on a budget" and racing touring cars is not an easy thing to accomplish (although it is possible nowadays). Out of these two, I think the TC4 would the better choice for racing (e.g. more setup options), but even that platform is getting a little dated by now.
If you're open to other suggestions as well, you might also consider:
3racing Sakura XI Sport
3racing Sakura Zero S (= Hobbyking Turnigy TD10)
Spec-R S1 or S2

Unless you insist on a shaft-driven instead of belt-driven 4WD drivetrain...
But that was under the assumption that you wanted the budget to be as low as possible (without buying used). Not a bad car though, especially for the price.

I'm not familiar with Hobbystar. Personally I'd go with a more established brand for ESC and motor - some of which are quite expensive, but there are a few with nice prices as well. (e.g. Hobbywing). Make sure it's race legal (e.g. sensored, on the ROAR list - or whatever else may apply there).

Sanwa(Airtronics), Futaba or KO are the best brands for radios IMO. Sanwa(Airtronics) MT-4 is a good radio. If you want to spend more... MT-4S (or even M12 or M12S but that's high end already). MX-V if you want to spend less. So much for Sanwa(Airtronics) - for Futaba and KO someone else needs to put some info here.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Only main reason for going with the sakura xi platform is for the local support, before talking to all the people at the track I was leanig towards a spec-r, xray.

Does the sakura have the potential of being competitive on high level like the xray?
Old 09-09-2015, 06:43 AM
Tech Champion

Only main reason for going with the sakura xi platform is for the local support, before talking to all the people at the track I was leanig towards a spec-r, xray.

Does the sakura have the potential of being competitive on high level like the xray?
I doubt it would take many to the world championships, but I'm more than sure the Sakura would make a very good platform as a club/regional race car

There are two versions, the more expensive one uses carbon fibre and more expensive materials.

The cheaper (sport?) version as I understand is a glass fibre chassis, which can be upgraded to the better version piece by piece as and when time/funds allow

You did the right thing hanging out at the tracks, it gives you a much better idea of what is raced there and what kind of costs you can encounter

Always do your research and ask the race director what equipment is used for their race program, nothing worse than buying the latest go faster equipment and you can't use it!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Allright! With that settled, what is a good esc, and motor combo to start with? The two classes I plan to compete in alows the use of both boost and timing, 21.5t, and 13.5t so looking for a esc that will perform well with these motors.

Any suggestions?

Thanks paul
Old 09-11-2015, 01:06 AM
Tech Champion

Allright! With that settled, what is a good esc, and motor combo to start with? The two classes I plan to compete in alows the use of both boost and timing, 21.5t, and 13.5t so looking for a esc that will perform well with these motors.

Any suggestions?

Thanks paul
There's probably not going to be a single answer people can agree on here, again also make sure what rules you have to comply to is my best answer to start with, if the club you plan to race at uses ROAR rules then there is a set list of ESC/Motor that is approved for racing.

But as I'm from the UK I don't know the exact rules so probably best to speak with the race director

I use the Tekin RS Pro which although is expensive, has been reliable and is ROAR approved. The Tekin Redline motor range is also ROAR approved but there are plenty others out there