Wiki Posts
Search

Best car for beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Well, I know what I know, but still playing catch up from 15yrs ago since my hiatus in 2000.

The TT02-S looks to be a good kit for those that know they will be hopping up their car. I suppose for a club racer or basher this kit has basically all the essentials including bearings, oil dampers, etc.

I like that it has the damper stays as that plays a critical role in setting up the car.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radi...ssis-kit-58600

This kit will require a motor and ESC separately. Along with body and all the other electronics.
Looks nice to me. Maybe if I have extra $$$ I'll buy one.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I personally don't agree with financing RC....

But if you're going to do it, the Futaba 3PRKA is the best bang for the buck. I think the Airtronics MX3 feels much better in my hand, but this is just personal preference.

Get ball bearings before you consider getting a brushless motor. Yoou can run a brushless motor without ball bearings in your car...but i wouldn't advise it
Old 08-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
Looks nice to me. Maybe if I have extra $$$ I'll buy one.

Thanks!
Yeah it does look like a good kit.

I will note that the only bare essentials for bashing with friends are oil dampers and stiffening up the diffs. The TT02 diffs are pretty stiff already using AW grease, so CVA's are probably the only thing needed.

People might , but no need for bearings either. When I was a kid, I didn't have any money and used the plastic bushings + kit grease. Worked fine. Bearings are cheap today so people (including me) run them but not a necessity for bashing.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My first on-road is the Sakura XI Sport. I love it.

While I'm a Tamiya fan, everybody I know complains that the steering on the TT02 sucks so that's why I didn't get it.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
My first on-road is the Sakura XI Sport. I love it.

While I'm a Tamiya fan, everybody I know complains that the steering on the TT02 sucks so that's why I didn't get it.
There is some play, yes but it's not that bad. I modded a Tamiya high torque servo saver to fit my TT02 and it tracks and drives perfectly fine.

I think you can get the Kimbrough large gas car size servo saver, and should work too.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

I will note that the only bare essentials for bashing with friends are oil dampers and stiffening up the diffs. The TT02 diffs are pretty stiff already using AW grease, so CVA's are probably the only thing needed.

People might , but no need for bearings either. When I was a kid, I didn't have any money and used the plastic bushings + kit grease. Worked fine. Bearings are cheap today so people (including me) run them but not a necessity for bashing.
I'll use 500K oil in the front diff or just lock it. A thin coat of aw grease in the rear. It's good that I have extra oil dampers and cva's which I can install. Yes it will be a basher.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I learned the hard way too when I was young. These days I just wait or just pay to play.

As mentioned earlier on, just drive with your kit motor and ESC for the time being. No need to rush into getting a faster motor if you can't drive.

Which radio are you getting?
the tt02r chassis kit im getting doesn't have the motor, esc, battery or the radio its this one below

towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFBDN&P=SM
Old 08-19-2015, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Phaseshift
the tt02r chassis kit im getting doesn't have the motor, esc, battery or the radio its this one below

towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFBDN&P=SM
Cool, I saw that one too on the Tamiya site.

I guess in this case get a 21.5 brushless and a cheap ESC to match (like Novak Edge or something). At least you can retard timing and slow it down some.

This area check with howardcano in the USGT thread for his recommendation.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

In the early 90s (i think) bearing were a major upgrade.

I couldn't afford it then as well so I settled with bushings. But when I saved and was eventually able to buy bearings, WOW I felt the difference on my TA02!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Cool, I saw that one too on the Tamiya site.

I guess in this case get a 21.5 brushless and a cheap ESC to match (like Novak Edge or something). At least you can retard timing and slow it down some.

This area check with howardcano in the USGT thread for his recommendation.
How about the justock?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-81...item2ee42000dc
Old 08-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

In the early 90s (i think) bearing were a major upgrade.

I couldn't afford it then as well so I settled with bushings. But when I saved and was eventually able to buy bearings, WOW I felt the difference on my TA02!
Early 80's bearings were only for the elite. I have a TA02 myself. I should get that thing running again. My first real RC was a SubaruBrat with a Frog chassis. Was such a pos, but I loved it. It didn't even come with a diff. Just a spool inside, mechanical 3 step speed controller, humpback 7.2v and all.

Brushless and ESC combo's arent my specialty yet as I'm from the custom built brushed motor era running NovakCycloneTC's and such. I'm old school and currently only run silver cans in my m-chassis in my private track.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Early 80's bearings were only for the elite. I have a TA02 myself. I should get that thing running again. My first real RC was a SubaruBrat with a Frog chassis. Was such a pos, but I loved it. It didn't even come with a diff. Just a spool inside, mechanical 3 step speed controller, humpback 7.2v and all.

Brushless and ESC combo's arent my specialty yet as I'm from the custom built brushed motor era running NovakCycloneTC's and such. I'm old school and currently only run silver cans in my m-chassis in my private track.
Nice.

Nothing wrong with silver can. I would do the same with my car collection if I also have my own track. Lesser dirt and damage.

I also noticed that you are an M car fan. I never had an M car... Must be fun specially the TA05 mini.

Don't you encounter drivetrain binding with the Cup Racer? Sorry for the off topic. Will get back on topic next post.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by traxxas 4x4
http://www.nitrorcx.com/88c211-x10tc...d-rtr-24g.html this is at the higher end of your budget but is brushless and comes with everything you need to run.
Except for the fact it will fall apart after a few runs...

DO NOT BUY one of these...

+1 on the TT-02...Awesome car for the price.

I think you could score a TB-04 for about the same $$$.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
Except for the fact it will fall apart after a few runs...

DO NOT BUY one of these...

+1 on the TT-02...Awesome car for the price.

I think you could score a TB-04 for about the same $$$.
Hello my friend Mr Metasoft. Thanks for your inputs!

Regards!
Old 08-19-2015, 10:18 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Hello my friend Mr Metasoft. Thanks for your inputs!

Regards!
Hey buddy, just here trying to steer this gentleman into the hobby the right way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.