Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Sharing] Construction of TT-02D

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Arrow [Sharing] Construction of TT-02D

Having taken a break of over 10 years from RC, recently I got back into this hobby. Originally I wanted to get a TB-04, but due to several reasons, mostly cost, I decided to build a TT-02D instead. This has plenty of attractions for me as it comes with many upgraded parts as well as bonus options, such as ESC and Tamiya TLU.

Things have changed a lot since I last played RC. Having done some homework on what types of cars there are and their costs, I decided to get the TT-02D version, which is a basic model but with drift capabilities. Motor, heat sink, ESC, drift tyres along with the bonus of Tamiya LED Unit come as standard.

Construction started. Here is the chassis tub with front and rear gears installed, along with the drive shaft and motor.

Battery and other bits and bobs of electronics fitted.

Here is the finished chassis with custom grip wheels installed.

Despite the car being a drift car, I didn't like the Skyline GT-R body much, so I got myself a LaFerrari body.

This body is a fit for many chassis types, including mine and the popular mid-level race cars TA-06 and TB-04.

Factory masking tapes in place

but I wanted some customisation added to my car, so I did a little bit of custom-masking in various places, such as the bonnet and the roof.

Got myself these Tamiya spray paints. For polycarbonate bodies, PS paint must be used. These paints are different to the recommended codes by Tamiya in the instructions.

The base red done.

With the customised bits also added.

Didn't forget the plastic rear view mirrors. These were done with Tamiya's TS paints, with gloss added to give them a shiney surface.

I've also added some custom-made decals, based on the Ferrari 2007 title winning Formula 1 car - F2007.

Now, a decision has to be made on what tyres and rims to fit. Here is a photo showing the differences between a grip and a drift tyre.

Next are the rims. The kit standard rims were stored away as I am not too fond of them.

These are just two of many I got. The ones on the right are plastics, fairly durable and give plenty of performance due to their light weight, but they can chip badly from being used and abused.

The left ones are made of metal, a little heavier than plastic ones, thus don't give as much performances as plastics, but they are good for looks.

In the end I decided to fit red-colour rimmed drift tyres, to go along with my spinning LED wheel lights.

This is how the wheels look from the side when stationary...

... and how they look when the wheels are spun up, lighting the wheels like a race car stamping on the brakes hard, giving a fierce red glow through the rims.

Finally, under-chassis lights added.

Here is the finished product.

So what happened to the kit-Skyline GT-R34 body?

Well here it is, looking ordinary and subtle. This will be a body for me to use in bashing the car about, so no remorse in any damages
Old 08-08-2015, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You would be better posting this at www.tamiyaclub.com

Will receive much more interest there I would say. They have a section dedicated to builds.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=52
Old 08-09-2015, 05:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you cplus
Old 08-14-2015, 06:36 AM
Tech Rookie

hi i have a question. based on the manual, the recommended servo size is
width: < 20.5mm length: 38 - 41mm height: 12 - 16mm + < 30mm

will a 40.5×26×21mm servo fit. only the width is longer by 0.5 mm
Old 08-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by changkh
hi i have a question. based on the manual, the recommended servo size is
width: < 20.5mm length: 38 - 41mm height: 12 - 16mm + < 30mm

will a 40.5×26×21mm servo fit. only the width is longer by 0.5 mm
Hi changkh. I didn't check or follow the manuals when I installed mine, so I have no idea if mine suits the requirements or not.

The servo is installed on its side (it's biggest flat surface to the chassis, see photo here:
),
so width shouldn't be a problem.

The servo I use is a Futaba S3003.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So much effort into the looks and you leave the body posts that long?

Old 08-16-2015, 07:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kristianecyrus
Hi changkh. I didn't check or follow the manuals when I installed mine, so I have no idea if mine suits the requirements or not.

The servo is installed on its side (it's biggest flat surface to the chassis, see photo here:
),
so width shouldn't be a problem.

The servo I use is a Futaba S3003.
thanks for the reply.
i am concern the extra 0.5mm width will cause the servo post not able to sit on the chassis.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DirkW
So much effort into the looks and you leave the body posts that long?

I plan to use several bodies. The LaFerrari is for display use. Skyline for bashing the car about and I plan to use a minivan body just for fun, so I need those tall pillars in place.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by changkh
thanks for the reply.
i am concern the extra 0.5mm width will cause the servo post not able to sit on the chassis.
Sorry mate, I really have no idea. I guess staff at your local hobby store can give you better advice on which servos should fit best for your car
Old 08-16-2015, 10:27 PM
Tech Initiate

My car with the Skyline body drifting

Tamiya TT-02D Skyline GT-R34 drifting

Tamiya TT-02D Skyline GT-R34 drifting at night