Rollcenter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Rollcenter question

Hi fellas.

Question:

What is the effect of adding spacers under suspension blocks?

There is 0.5mm and 1.0mm

Will it lower the car? What is the overall effect and what is the application? What is a good starting point?

This is for Tamiya touring car chassis which I guess is applicable for other touring car chassis as well.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Rollcenter question-header_53932.jpg  
Old 07-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There are plenty of online resources which cover roll center adjustments such as the xray setup book, RC Crew Cheif, Learn Setup. There are differing interpretations of the effect so your best bet is to check them all out and do some testing to find out for yourself. Thread below covers most of what is available.

Adding shims between the chassi and suspension blocks raises the roll center and also has a small effect on camber gain. You will need to adjust the spring reload and droop screws to maintain the original ride height and droop.

When you raise the roll center the car will lean less in a corner and react faster. Normally raising the roll center provides less grip but the effect depends on the grip levels and the rest of your setup. IE high grip with soft suspension raising the roll center can make the car more stable and often results in increased tyre contact patch which allows for faster corner speed.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...r-chassis.html
Old 07-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DamianW
There are plenty of online resources which cover roll center adjustments such as the xray setup book, RC Crew Cheif, Learn Setup. There are differing interpretations of the effect so your best bet is to check them all out and do some testing to find out for yourself. Thread below covers most of what is available.

Adding shims between the chassi and suspension blocks raises the roll center and also has a small effect on camber gain. You will need to adjust the spring reload and droop screws to maintain the original ride height and droop.

When you raise the roll center the car will lean less in a corner and react faster. Normally raising the roll center provides less grip but the effect depends on the grip levels and the rest of your setup. IE high grip with soft suspension raising the roll center can make the car more stable and often results in increased tyre contact patch which allows for faster corner speed.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...r-chassis.html
Thank you.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

dude i set roll center on my slash...it changes handling characteristics a lot..i race dirt oval i set it to where when comming out of turns 2&4 its haulin ass