Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need some help on soldering

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default need some help on soldering

hi guys need some help on soldering corally plugs onto both ends of the battery without demaging the shrink wraps and stuff..sorry for the dumb question thanks cheers!
Old 10-24-2005, 02:28 AM
Tech Addict

I prep the batteries like usual, polish the ends with fine sandpaper and pretin them. Take the Corally plug and pretin it. Take the Corally plug with pliers and hold it against the battery, not letting it touch the shrink wrap. Take my 300 watt soldering iron and heat the plug until the solder melts. Remove the iron and keep the plug pressed to the battery until the solder becomes solid.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

The only thing I have to add is that when I do mine I like to put the iron on my plug while I am holding it with pliers until the solder on the plug has been melted for several seconds. This seems to reduce the amount of time I have to hold the iron on the plug on the battery before the plug/solder/battery has made a solid connection. I like to color code (read idiot proof) my plugs with red and black sharpie before I solder. I scuff all the shiny stuff off with a dremel before I solder and then mark all over it with appropriate color after its attached to the battery. I have fried too many speedos by being unobservant.