Wiki Posts
Search

What to look for in a wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What to look for in a wheel...

Yesterday (Saturday), I was racing on a set of brand new Sorex 28's on brand new Sorex dish wheels. Throughout the races and qualifiers, the car felt like there might be more and more little bumps on the track. After messing around when the mains were done, I look at my car for a while, and realized that there were cracks on the inner edges going out on 3 of the 4 wheels. These weren't millimeter cracks, but a half rim crack on one tire, and around 3/8 rim cracks on the other two. None of the meetings I had with the boards were bad enough to where I expected to have a cracked rim. I will never run these rims again, and I was wondering what would be a good company to look at. If all the rims are like this, then I guess worst case scenario, I have to stay off the boards...
-Josh
Old 10-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by josh69162
Yesterday (Saturday), I was racing on a set of brand new Sorex 28's on brand new Sorex dish wheels. Throughout the races and qualifiers, the car felt like there might be more and more little bumps on the track. After messing around when the mains were done, I look at my car for a while, and realized that there were cracks on the inner edges going out on 3 of the 4 wheels. These weren't millimeter cracks, but a half rim crack on one tire, and around 3/8 rim cracks on the other two. None of the meetings I had with the boards were bad enough to where I expected to have a cracked rim. I will never run these rims again, and I was wondering what would be a good company to look at. If all the rims are like this, then I guess worst case scenario, I have to stay off the boards...
-Josh
Sorex wheels are very brittle, and are risking around hard boards. Try Yokomo wheels, (TW-0512-2 ABS non-precision) type are very good as well as Xenon wheels, available at RC tech. The Xenon are very light and true, slightly smaller diameter so they work well with RP tires too. Have had no problems with the Yoke and Xenon wheels cracking.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Tech Addict

Personally I have had really good luck with Speedmind wheels. They have take a lot of abuse and still keep coming back for more.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

-Sorex rims are very fragile but more direct feeling.
-Yokomo look fragile, but actually it doesn't and also feel direct.
-Speedmind has more flex and doesn't break easily. You will feel more grip on your car with this rims. Best value.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

I run speedmind rims too...Cause they are considered rather inexpensive compared to other brands.I run Tamiya too.They are very true and precise.But might crack if the impact is too great.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just repeating others...Speedmind are the very best in my opinion. Flex, strength, grip and super precise.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:06 AM
Tech Addict

I haven't tried Speedmind wheels. I've had good experience with most Proline and Schumacher wheels.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:01 AM
Tech Addict

Yokomo rims are just as brittle as Sorex rims.Proline are a much softer plastic and I have never cracked any (I hit a lot of boards too!!) but they are prone to running out of round.Another good wheel that feel a similar plastic to the Proline wheels are Kyosho.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

These are ones of my favorite for persision..
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=405&id=5125

I like the speedminds as well..
There is a new tire company just starting out here in the US but are bigger in Japan.
Here is a US site that sells them...
They are very long wear tires...
Consistant for more that 10 runs and will last for up to 30 runs...
The wheels are also really strong..
http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/s...a4591213a2032c
Hope these help..
-Shookie <><
Old 10-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I am running Speedmind wheels right now, and I will support the... uh, support for them. Very strong, light, true, and inexpensive. You can also get them in not only white but black, yellow ad grey (silver) too.

I do wish the dish on them was flat and covered the wheel nut, though. I seem to have problems with suspension breakage with the wheel nut hanging out in the air to grab a board if my driving is not so perfect (usually).