Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best car for rally conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I second the TT02 platform. Very good chassis.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok its been almost a year on this thread, but figure why not ask. My TC4 has about 14mm of ground clearance atm with all the minor adjustments and a TC6.2 shock upgrade. How is that in comparison to some of the chassis that were mentioned on this thread? Anyone know?
Old 03-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

I think the Yokomo MR4 rally wins that one by far with about 25mm of ground clearance bog stock no mods. The DF03 is a bit lower than 20mm but can be jacked up a bit, the TA01/02 can reach 20mm as well. The problem with most is the length and angle of the driveshafts and how much this affects cornering. The Yokomo is again the best here because it has the longest arms/driveshafts, the worst is perhaps the TA01/02 with narrow front arms and aggressive driveshaft angles.

The Yoke and the DF03 can easily take modern DCJ style driveshafts which makes them even better, the old TA01/02 needs the Skyline arms/hubs to convert and a really short DCJ which I am not sure you can find (didn‘t try, perhaps TRF 42 mm driveshafts fit, from memory they‘re the shortest you can get).

I think the new hub carrier used in the MF01X can help a bit with ground clearance/driveshaft angle on the TA01/02. I just built a RWD rally car using those carriers on a Tamiya M02 chassis, and it‘s very nice. I got about 5mm of ground clearance over the stock suspension setup. Can‘t remember what I used in the rear.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by niznai
I think the Yokomo MR4 rally wins that one by far with about 25mm of ground clearance bog stock no mods. The DF03 is a bit lower than 20mm but can be jacked up a bit, the TA01/02 can reach 20mm as well. The problem with most is the length and angle of the driveshafts and how much this affects cornering. The Yokomo is again the best here because it has the longest arms/driveshafts, the worst is perhaps the TA01/02 with narrow front arms and aggressive driveshaft angles.

The Yoke and the DF03 can easily take modern DCJ style driveshafts which makes them even better, the old TA01/02 needs the Skyline arms/hubs to convert and a really short DCJ which I am not sure you can find (didn‘t try, perhaps TRF 42 mm driveshafts fit, from memory they‘re the shortest you can get).

I think the new hub carrier used in the MF01X can help a bit with ground clearance/driveshaft angle on the TA01/02. I just built a RWD rally car using those carriers on a Tamiya M02 chassis, and it‘s very nice. I got about 5mm of ground clearance over the stock suspension setup. Can‘t remember what I used in the rear.
Do you have a pic of the M02 conversion? Sounds cool
Old 03-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

I am not home and won‘t be for the next few months, but I‘ll pop up a picture if you remind me in June.

It is cool, and I think it is what Tamiya should have done when they brought out the M02 chassis.

I have also built a short wheelbase mini 4WD based on MF01X chassis with some eclectic choice of suspension parts. I tried back in the day to build it using a TL01 tub, but I had to cut and shut it, not that kosher in my opinion. 15 years later I got there with a bit of help from Mr Tamiya.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello
I think, best for rallying is Xray T3 2010 chassis, also other TC 1:10 Xrays. Tamiya TA02 is good choice, because you dont need big adjusments, but if you want really good car, onroad chassis is the only choice. XV01 is good too, but I can still say, that nothing beats onroad Xray car with some modifications :-) I also made manual for rebuild, I can give you a link, if you'd wanted :-)
Old 09-14-2016, 04:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Default t3

link please to [email protected]
i have a xray t3
thanks.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello, I'm not able to add URLs from some reason, but you can download it from link in my signature if you click there at manuals :-)
Old 09-15-2016, 12:46 AM
Tech Addict

I've recently been watching the Czechoslovakian rally races on YouTube.

I love it! They have all ages participating, and everyone looks like they are having fun.

They drive a lot of Xray T2 and T3 conversions, tamiya Xv-01s, and Tt-02.

Recently I've been driving all road with my xv-01, but after watching these videos, I totally want to set up my car for rally again. Jack up the ride height, and enjoy the body roll action!

I was looking h at a picture of a yokomo mR4 rally,

Anyone know what those tires are? They look almost perfect for street and dirt.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:04 AM
Tech Rookie

You're almost right, but not TT02, people are using here TA02/TA01 (those are the same). And its Czech Republic, shortly Czechia, but OK, its not important in this case :-D
Old 09-15-2016, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 4roller
I've recently been watching the Czechoslovakian rally races on YouTube.

I love it! They have all ages participating, and everyone looks like they are having fun.

They drive a lot of Xray T2 and T3 conversions, tamiya Xv-01s, and Tt-02.

Recently I've been driving all road with my xv-01, but after watching these videos, I totally want to set up my car for rally again. Jack up the ride height, and enjoy the body roll action!

I was looking h at a picture of a yokomo mR4 rally,

Anyone know what those tires are? They look almost perfect for street and dirt.

Those are the kit stock tyres that come with the Yokomo MR4 Rally