Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

ABC Gambado/Grid

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Default ABC Gambado/Grid

Some weeks ago, I replaced my ancient Tamioya M02 (donīt laugh, I found it still competitive for chasing M05s ans M06s) with an ABC Gambado/Grid.

Any help and setup tips would be greatly appreciated, Iīm from Germany and after sarching the forums there it seems Iīm the only ABC Gambado/Grid racer in the country...

If there already is a thread concerning this modell (I didnīt find one), could someone point me in the right direction, please?
Old 04-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I ran one last year outdoors on tarmac (UK) and it was very competitive against the M05 and Top Sabre I was racing against. I did have a little setup help from ABC USA, here's the info:

1)
Front spring >> Yellow or Red. Grid need soft front suspension on the bumpy surface.

2)
Rear spring >>Yellow. Cause present battery (Li-Po) is light weight, Rear suspension needs soft spring too.

3)
Stock Hard grease is Fine, Also, all the suspension need smooth moving.

4)
*** Most important is Smooth moving suspension, Especially, King-pin and king-pin ball. Please check your car,

5)
Tires. You can choose your favorite tires for matching on your track surface. But, under setting, Please try same tires for front and rear, you can find different from same tire traction.

6)
Additional weight, Grid is light weight chassis. If your Grid doesn't have stability. Please add 100g weight to the center of the car,

7)
Gear Diff, You can use #5000 - #10000 oil
By the way, Ball diff is better than gear diff at all the surface. Easy to get traction.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great info Conrad! Thanks for sharing.

I've been checking the ABC site often these days. They have so many cool bodies for their FWD's. I might get the Civic Euro-R one if ABC is not releasing another 4WD (Genetic) this Spring at the show next month in Shizuoka.

I like how their motor is centered as it should be, very symmetrical, everything placed low to the ground.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you, guys.

At the moment, Iīm running black springs in the front and blue (softer) springs in the back. The reasoning behind that was that (a) the car is heavier at the front, and (b) this kind of setup worked well on my M-02. I reduced droop at the front almost as much as possible to stop weight transfer to the back when accelerating, and added a little toe out at the front wheels. With this setup, the car already has decent steering.

Iīll try a softer front spring as soon as I can get another blue spring set. I have a yellow spring set and could try a yellow front / blue back setup, but I think that this setup may be to soft in the front because of the weak damping the friction dampers can provide. I already tried blue front / yellow back, but found that this setup unsettled the car to much on the one and only bumpy section of the otherwise very smooth track I race on.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Drachenschorsch - No issue running firmer springs on the front. If that setup works for you, then that's the right set up for your track. I do recommend you try other setups too as there might be a better setup, or just to reinforce your current setup is good.

My M03 and M05 both have firmer springs on the front too. The weight transfer is crazy while off-throttle and entering a turn. Hard to keep the rear from stepping out unless I have very good traction on the rear tires. That is where I want to get away from... relying on tires so much. If the chassis can run well on soso-loose traction, then you got a really nice setup for bashing at home or at parking lots. For example, my M05 ProV2 is like this. Very good with even not so good traction.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Tech Initiate

It seems that I have to get some additional spring sets....

I feels just wrong to use softer springs at the heavier end of the car, but you never know, and according to the tamiya mini thread this seems to be the setup many people recommend for he M05 Pro V2, which has a similiar weight distribution.

What I really like about the abc is that it is so unusual with its kingpin/MacPherson-strut-like suspension. This made it a more approbiate replacement for my (slightly weird) M-02 than an M-03 or 05.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Drachenschorsch
It seems that I have to get some additional spring sets....

I feels just wrong to use softer springs at the heavier end of the car, but you never know, and according to the tamiya mini thread this seems to be the setup many people recommend for he M05 Pro V2, which has a similiar weight distribution.

What I really like about the abc is that it is so unusual with its kingpin/MacPherson-strut-like suspension. This made it a more approbiate replacement for my (slightly weird) M-02 than an M-03 or 05.
That's correct, my V2 uses the softer springs on the front and for that chassis it works very well. I tried the same configuration on my standard M05 with CVA super mini dampers and it drove COMPLETELY WRONG.

Tamiya did some magic to the V2 chassis for sure. It is a well engineered piece of plastic.

I did notice on your ride the more real-car like design of the suspension. I'm definitely interested in trying one of these ABC FWD's. Once I figure out that ABC is not releasing a 4WD this year, and decide against the Atom (also 4WD), I will order one of these kits. I want to use my own electronics so will buy the 'partial' assembly kit.

Actually a very long time ago, I made my own FWD M-chassis using HPI parts. It ran quite well and won a few local parking lot races. The bulkhead, etc on the ABC reminds me of the car I created.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Tech Addict

Well the grid was originally designed for NimH's so the kit black springs are heavier than you would need with a lipo. I had to add around 60g of lead to make the 1250g minimum limit when I was running it with a lipo and that was with yellow springs all around.

Widening the track width with some wheel spacers will increase the stability of the car at that end. Off power oversteer was pretty bad with the grid especially in high grip, in low grip, damp/wet conditions the car was just awesome.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Conrad
Well the grid was originally designed for NimH's so the kit black springs are heavier than you would need with a lipo. I had to add around 60g of lead to make the 1250g minimum limit when I was running it with a lipo and that was with yellow springs all around.

Widening the track width with some wheel spacers will increase the stability of the car at that end. Off power oversteer was pretty bad with the grid especially in high grip, in low grip, damp/wet conditions the car was just awesome.
Hi Conrad, so in moderate to low traction you are saying the Grid does real well, but not in high traction?
Old 04-21-2015, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-platform.html

This is the original thread on this car. I have raced this chassis at TITC and we used the original yellow friction shocks with heavy oil, red springs front, yellow springs rear, with short lipos fitted. We used the 50/25 gear and 31 tooth pinion with a 17.5 brushless blinky system.

My current setup with Sweep 33 front tyres and spice 28 rear is with the new alloy knuckles, shocks etc. I run a short lipo pack and use 5mm hexes on the car. 1 degree front toe out, 5mm ride height a little droop and had no handling issues at all. Car is on rails. I use the Suburu BRZ body shell.

I also use the white or blue spring up front and the yellow or black spring on the rear. Great car, I just need to use a less powerful/torque motor system in the car. Our standard 13T BL systems have a great deal of torque and I tend to chew gears.

I like the car that much I have 3 of them in swb plastic chassis, swb graphite chassis and mwb plastic chassis. The mwb is two chassis cut and glued together.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Impressive stuff, caltek!

I got a reply from ABC that they are completely out of stock of the Genetic, going to discontinue the RWD's and currently selling just the FWD's...oh and still working on the next generation chassis. I suppose that's no new news to anyone.

So I think I will try another 4WD chassis from another brand or try the FWD ABC's next.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:06 AM
Tech Initiate

3Racing are making a conversion kit for a Tamiya TT01. Itīs inexpensive and might be worth a try.

We had a pretty warm spring evening yesterday, and I was able to do a bit of testing on the track. I tried blue springs in the front / yellow (i.e. softer) springs in the back first, and blue springs in the front / black (i.e. harder) springs in the back later.

I have to admit that the second setup worked slightly better. Although I used harder springs in the back, the back of the car didnīt step out as much as with the softer springs.

The reason might be that with the softer setup the car was to low (I lost one of the clips, and because of the smaller spring diameter clips from other dampers donīt fit) and hit the ground when cornering.

Iīll have to verirfy that. As soon as it stops raining....

Caltek1, who much rear toe in do you run?
Old 04-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Hi Conrad, so in moderate to low traction you are saying the Grid does real well, but not in high traction?
I'm not saying it can't be good in all conditions but that was my experience of the car in the little time I ran it, yes.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Drachenschorsch
3Racing are making a conversion kit for a Tamiya TT01. Itīs inexpensive and might be worth a try.

We had a pretty warm spring evening yesterday, and I was able to do a bit of testing on the track. I tried blue springs in the front / yellow (i.e. softer) springs in the back first, and blue springs in the front / black (i.e. harder) springs in the back later.

I have to admit that the second setup worked slightly better. Although I used harder springs in the back, the back of the car didnīt step out as much as with the softer springs.

The reason might be that with the softer setup the car was to low (I lost one of the clips, and because of the smaller spring diameter clips from other dampers donīt fit) and hit the ground when cornering.

Iīll have to verirfy that. As soon as it stops raining....

Caltek1, who much rear toe in do you run?
Sounds like fun, Drachenschorsch! Springs sometimes work in mysterious ways. Well, not really, but I try the other end of the spectrum in small increments too just in case I'm not missing out on something I didn't think of.

Thanks for the info on the TT01 conversion. I will check it out. At one point someone appeared to have made one for the TA02. I have a TA02 from the early 90's just sitting around..
Originally Posted by Conrad
I'm not saying it can't be good in all conditions but that was my experience of the car in the little time I ran it, yes.
Sounds good, thanks.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Do u guys have issues chew gears? Normally either the gear box 20T gear or the gear diff outside gears got chewed up... It gets frustrating because I am on my third set of gear diff and 20T

I am running on a 13T hobby wing (3000kv) Brushless motor and Hobbywing 80a WP esc

Any help would be nice! Thx!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.