Wiki Posts
Search

All new Dodge Dart 190mm from PROTOform

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
To start with it's a touring car class, the rules specify the bodies must be based on a touring car, and the bodies must conform to the Global Body Specifications, a set of dimensions that ensure the bodies look like a touring car and to prevent them turning into aerodynamic wedges.

There's also that touring car bodies are designed for the track, so they are shaped to generate downforce while reducing drag to get the ultimate performance from the chassis. Sports car bodies are designed for their looks and scale detail, with no concern given to the handling characteristics of the body.

Ok, now explain how the Easter Egg paint jobs improve aerodynamics.....
Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pphaneuf
Something along the lines of DTM cars might be slightly more aggressive, and *might* be made to fit in the GBS specs...

I had my own question, though: is there a full size Dodge Dart touring car? Or is this a Protoform creation?
I've only seen it in RallyCross so far

Old 02-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by terry.sc
To start with it's a touring car class, the rules specify the bodies must be based on a touring car, and the bodies must conform to the Global Body Specifications, a set of dimensions that ensure the bodies look like a touring car and to prevent them turning into aerodynamic wedges.

There's also that touring car bodies are designed for the track, so they are shaped to generate downforce while reducing drag to get the ultimate performance from the chassis. Sports car bodies are designed for their looks and scale detail, with no concern given to the handling characteristics of the body.
I guess you are referring to wtcc which in that case we should be racing a chevy cruze or Honda civic.
I also don't know of any dodge darts being road raced in any racing series.

The dart body is not scaled to proper exact dimensions. Think about it the Dodge dart is a small car not a long two door body.
All these bodies are is a aerodynamic wedge specifically designed for rc racing. A Mazda 6 doesn't have a flat quarter panel.

I just don't see how a Ferrari body aerodynamically doesn't handle as good as a dodge dart if they were scaled down exactly.

I have nothing against protoform and their bodies. It just bothers me that because they are designed for racing aerodynamics that everyone only races with those bodies.
I'm just tired of seeing same boring cars for 20+ years.
Maybe the class rules need to be changed so a body that is actually being raced is only allowed like in vta.
the Mazda 6 body could work because they were racing the diesel version of that car. But make the rear end realistic looking.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone or stir the pot. I just don't understand why the touring car class is setup this way. Maybe that's why vta is so popular.
That is the whole reason I'm getting a on road car. Muscle cars are good looking and legendary. And to recreate the Trans am class with replica race cars is just plain cool.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

I imagine most TC racers today don't care if their car resembles something real or not

And for those that do
There are
F1
Mini
GT
VTA
FWD
etc

RC TC cars have their own look now

Old 02-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

There are other points that people forget about the bodies. It’s not just the aerodynamics that affects the handling. One thing is the stiffness of it which is determined not only by Lexan thickness but also by the shape. And the other big thing is on which height the body is attached to the body posts. This is determined by the rules of minimal roof height and shape of the body. Each body has its CoG and it pulls on the body posts when cornering. This can give you a different amount of additional body roll and can significantly affect the car handling. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

I my opinion competitive RC racing is not to mix up with real scale racing; it’s a sport of its own. For the pro guys it doesn’t even matter how the body is called as long as it performs well. If the looks bother you there are numerous classes out there for you so everybody gets what he/she desires most.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
I imagine most TC racers today don't care if their car resembles something real or not

And for those that do
There are
F1
Mini
GT
VTA
FWD
etc

RC TC cars have their own look now

Ya that's true. Has a very Asian culture feel to it now.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Geberit
There are other points that people forget about the bodies. It’s not just the aerodynamics that affects the handling. One thing is the stiffness of it which is determined not only by Lexan thickness but also by the shape. And the other big thing is on which height the body is attached to the body posts. This is determined by the rules of minimal roof height and shape of the body. Each body has its CoG and it pulls on the body posts when cornering. This can give you a different amount of additional body roll and can significantly affect the car handling. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

I my opinion competitive RC racing is not to mix up with real scale racing; it’s a sport of its own. For the pro guys it doesn’t even matter how the body is called as long as it performs well. If the looks bother you there are numerous classes out there for you so everybody gets what he/she desires most.
Exactly.

Competetive racing is about being fastest and not whether your car looks like a real Ferrari. Who cares?

In our country we have a class called LeMan, it is 1/10 pan car. At first everybody was all over it because of the nice replica body shells available. In the end, all the (competetive) drivers used the same generic aerodynamic body because they were the fastest bodies.

It's about the speed, not the looks.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:36 AM
Tech Addict

This happened in WGT with the Parma DB9 body:

The real DB9 looks like this:

Old 02-26-2015, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
Ok, now explain how the Easter Egg paint jobs improve aerodynamics.....
It doesn't improve AERO per se, but helps you identify your car on track more easily and improves your "spacial" boundaries so you don't crash into things. Try driving an all black car on a carpet track. I'd rather drive an easter egg colored/ multi-colored eyesore and be able to finish a race with good result than worry about how "gay" it looks. LOL. Aero is important, but keeping your car in one piece and on the track is more important when I'm running.

The Dart has a little less overall grip than the LTC-R I normally use, but it is faster around the track when I retuned the suspension for it. LTC-R had a lot more high speed steering and rotates quick, but the Dart isn't bad. I remember someone mentioning the grip levels coming up and the Dart starts to traction roll. I didn't notice that at all.

This was my body that I used in a recent race... also a DART!
Got some flak for the misuse of nearly empty rattle cans. LOL

You mentioned EASTER EGG...?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

People who don't know what TC is all about need not worry if the bodies are "scale" This class has always catered to "FAST" not "scale". I race USGT for that. What I want to know is how does this body perform on carpet? I am looking for a new lid and like the looks on this one.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by The Stig US
People who don't know what TC is all about need not worry if the bodies are "scale" This class has always catered to "FAST" not "scale". I race USGT for that.
If you'd want fast, you'd race a pan car.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:51 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Stig US
What I want to know is how does this body perform on carpet?
The Dart is pretty good on carpet depending on what sort of balance you're looking for. In initial testing we felt that the body had more steering everywhere, especially if the sweeper had a 180 at the end of it. A slight change was made to the nose to make the front lip shorter on the production version, and because of that I feel that the body has a little less initial steering but still cuts hard middle and out. In sweeping on-power corners such as carousels, the body rotates really well.

My feedback is compared to the MazdaSpeed and LTC mounted forward @ 4-5mm, while running the Dart mounted up centered on the front wheels.

I know Hebert and Hardman have made the body work really well in 13.5 and Mod on carpet. They were both very fast with it at Snowbirds. Andrew had the best car in 13.5 IMO, just bad luck.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by R Dodge
The Dart is pretty good on carpet depending on what sort of balance you're looking for. In initial testing we felt that the body had more steering everywhere, especially if the sweeper had a 180 at the end of it. A slight change was made to the nose to make the front lip shorter on the production version, and because of that I feel that the body has a little less initial steering but still cuts hard middle and out. In sweeping on-power corners such as carousels, the body rotates really well.

My feedback is compared to the MazdaSpeed and LTC mounted forward @ 4-5mm, while running the Dart mounted up centered on the front wheels.

I know Hebert and Hardman have made the body work really well in 13.5 and Mod on carpet. They were both very fast with it at Snowbirds. Andrew had the best car in 13.5 IMO, just bad luck.
I tried a production version, and on our med grip carpet with 13.5 it feels exactly as you say
Not as comfortable to drive as the Speed 6 for me with a BD7

imo, this body has a very similar feel to the Strakka for 1/12, that body is very good on a high grip rug

Would like to try again on a track with high grip
Old 02-27-2015, 08:31 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I too have found the dart to have more front bite than the ms6, but nowhere near the front grip of the ltcr. I found the rear to be quite "free" and it took me a few packs to trust it. It is definitely more forgiving than the ltcr, but I still prefer something with more balanced handling. I ended up running the front a tad stiffer than usual with the dart to counteract the added front downforce. My go-to body is still the Sweep STC6 (it handles like a ms6 but looks and lasts longer imo, and has some nice features like the 1mm wing and lower center of gravity).
Old 02-27-2015, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
I tried a production version, and on our med grip carpet with 13.5 it feels exactly as you say
Not as comfortable to drive as the Speed 6 for me with a BD7

imo, this body has a very similar feel to the Strakka for 1/12, that body is very good on a high grip rug

Would like to try again on a track with high grip
Found it similar. It the German ETS it was good with more steering and stability than the Speed6.
But then tried it at a UK series race (same tyres but different carpet) with lower grip and found it too much of a handful.
Both these were running open Mod.

WIll get to test it for the first time in 13.5 boosted tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.