Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Do you feel that? The winds of change thread! >

Do you feel that? The winds of change thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you feel that? The winds of change thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 06:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme
I know in my area we had a good strong onroad following about 5-6 yrs ago and it fell on its face and went to zero onroad racing.

Last yr a carpet track opened in a mall. It started slow but by the end of the season we were averaging about 40 entries.

During the summer they ran one race a month and kept the 40 entry average.

Now that carpet season has really got going we are running a 6 race points series.

First race we had 50-55 entries
Race 2 66 entries
Race 3 72 entries with a handful of reg that didn't run

So it's definetly picking up. There are new faces every week.

There is even a new carpet track that opened about an hour an a half from the one in the mall. The guys there have a 1st class place.

100x48 on a sub floor.

So we went from 0 places and racers to close to 100 racers and two awesome tracks

Glad on road is going strong in my area
See you there tomorrow
Old 11-29-2014, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A few years ago, my home track (which was an awesome indoor carpet facility) decided to convert to dirt. I resisted the change for a long time, but eventually got a buggy since there was just no on-road racing available. Took me about a month to learn how to drive the thing well enough to challenge the buggy leaders. But then, as soon as I could finally drive the car well enough to be competitive, I quickly realized that it was necessary to run new buggy tires all the time if one wanted to have any shot at finishing on the podium. No way I was going to spend that kind of money to feed my hungry new buggy's appetite for race tires. Sold the buggy, and have been driving long distances to find quality on-road carpet racing. I still mourn the loss of the carpet venue that was just 20 minutes from home.......but I find that traveling a long way to run on-road carpet is way better than dropping a whole lot of $$ on buggy tires for an off-road car that I didn't even like much. Long live on-road carpet racing. I tried the off-road thing, but it just wasn't for me.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
As an avid(pardon the pun) on road guy I seem to be noticing the inevitable shift back to on road racing. Maybe it was all the drift inspired car sales or maybe it's off road becoming muddied by the too many classes syndrome that all but killed on road but it seems at least to me like the climate shift in rc may be happening again......or is it just wishful thinking?
I hope Onroad makes a comeback. As it stands now, Offroad tracks still out-number onroad in Socal:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/12498333-post1.html
Old 11-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
The whole point of Mod is that it's open.
It's up to drivers to choose what is best for their driving and track.
Um...yeah. As I read my own words I thought to myself: "Duh, its mod/open dummy. Run what you want and see what happens."
Old 11-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
I hope Onroad makes a comeback. As it stands now, Offroad tracks still out-number onroad in Socal:

I'm sure they do as right now playing in the sandbox is the normal mentality(just kidding off road guys!)....I'm just hoping that maybe a few years from now that the shoe is on the other foot.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

At our local on road track here in SoCal they have had record turn outs for the last two races. Best in 4 years the owner said.

Pretty awesome.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Be happy you have some great options like TQ, if we want to race carpet it's 12hrs of driving round trip to TQ which is the closest carpet track. The entire on-road scene in this state is a total of two parking lot setups, and while those track do the best with what they have its not ideal. I wish I could say that on-road was making a return here but that is just not true, the dirt burners rule here.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

You hope ?

We are very fortunate to have an abundance of On-Road racing in So-Cal right now
If it makes any more of a "comeback", they will have to build larger facilities to hold all the entries
Old 11-29-2014, 09:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore
Be happy you have some great options like TQ, if we want to race carpet it's 12hrs of driving round trip to TQ which is the closest carpet track. The entire on-road scene in this state is a total of two parking lot setups, and while those track do the best with what they have its not ideal. I wish I could say that on-road was making a return here but that is just not true, the dirt burners rule here.
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
You hope ?

We are very fortunate to have an abundance of On-Road racing in So-Cal right now
If it makes any more of a "comeback", they will have to build larger facilities to hold all the entries
Yes, I'm happy there are on-road tracks in Socal.

I was only making the point that there is still more offroad tracks than on-road tracks. Nothing more.

My first sentence was agreeing with the OP, and not specific to SoCal.

Last edited by RCBuddha; 11-29-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I THINK 2015 IS GOING TO BE A GREAT YEAR FOR ONROAD .....
Old 11-29-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

I know up here in Edmonton Alberta Canada, that our club has seen a explosion of membership the last couple of years. We routinely have club races with 100-110 entries. (5 classes, racers can only run 2) We are now running to 12-14 car heats, each class gets 2 qualifiers and a main and we still aren't done till 1am.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
A problem some tracks have though is the fight between USVTA and ROAR VTA. Now I do say thats crazy. The only real difference between the classes is motor and limited batt mah. Why not pick one and stick to it. Running both with 4 in each makes the race day that much longer.
Where I run, you have a lot of both. And both run side-by-side with USVTA points applying to those in the class. Honestly I wish both camps would just agree on a weight (say in the middle...1500g) and then let roar / vta have their own motor rules (but only 25.5) and battery capacity limitations. But I doubt it will happen. And as you know, this debate gets brought up constantly already in the USVTA thread. I hate having to build cars for both.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:56 AM
Tech Addict

I'm surprised at how much I hear from the US about slowed down touring cars (like VTA and USGT) as the "starter classes", considering how expensive touring cars are! And also, how slow they're being made (here, the slowest TC class is 17.5 blinky).

An Associated TC6.2 costs £330 here, while a Schumacher SupaStox GT S1 costs £90! And you get get an ESC/motor/battery combo for £85, which is barely more than the price of just a 2S ESC... GT12 also runs fairly realistic bodies, not the usual 1/12 "wedge" bodies (it'd be cool if McAllister would make some bodies of American GT3 cars for GT12, though!).

So no surprise that GT12 is so popular here!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pphaneuf
I'm surprised at how much I hear from the US about slowed down touring cars (like VTA and USGT) as the "starter classes", considering how expensive touring cars are! And also, how slow they're being made (here, the slowest TC class is 17.5 blinky).

An Associated TC6.2 costs £330 here, while a Schumacher SupaStox GT S1 costs £90! And you get get an ESC/motor/battery combo for £85, which is barely more than the price of just a 2S ESC... GT12 also runs fairly realistic bodies, not the usual 1/12 "wedge" bodies (it'd be cool if McAllister would make some bodies of American GT3 cars for GT12, though!).

So no surprise that GT12 is so popular here!
Our tracks probably have some influence on that. Many people racing VTA and USGT do so on temporary, bumpy asphalt tracks with little prep. The traction levels make 4WD cars much easier to drive than RWD.

Just for fun last year at our parking-lot track, I tried a 1/10 scale pan car with 17.5/1s. I could spin the rear tires out of almost every corner. That's frustrating to many beginners.

But I do agree that the price point for pan cars makes them very attractive.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by goin2drt
At our local on road track here in SoCal they have had record turn outs for the last two races. Best in 4 years the owner said.

Pretty awesome.
What track? And where's your tracks race schedule posted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.