Default GT12 New Class thats Booming in the UK

also in the USA its is now growing

http://www.rctech.net/forum/marcca-d...road-gt12.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/336445139755237/

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Car_Sh...paStox_GT.html

Old 11-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

My local club is trying to generate interest in this class and this chassis and there have been some 12 new GT kits sold locally in the last few weeks. We had one kit running almost non-stop two weeks ago and other than wearing down the tires it proved to be virtually indestructible.

We have a club race this Sunday preceded by a practice day on Saturday and we're hoping guys show up to have some fun.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Yup, BRCA has done a great job of shepherding the class and proving low cost racing can work. I'm excited to see where this goes in the US and I've got two GT12 cars on the workbench since I know of a few clubs south of the border looking closely at this class.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

if you need any help/tips etc ask drop me a pm or join the facebook group in the first post, im a uk Schumacher driver, been running gt12 for 3 years now and spent last sunday testing my new gt12
Old 11-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I don't understand this class. Why would someone chose this over a standard 1/12th scale pan car?
Old 11-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by biz77
I don't understand this class. Why would someone chose this over a standard 1/12th scale pan car?
The cars are cheaper, the tires last longer, they are better for beginners to racing, and they look and handle great! That's a start.

By the way I race 12th scale too, so I don't favour one over the other.

Trev
Old 11-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yet another class whose chief appeal is going slower and having more rules.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cartman
if you need any help/tips etc ask drop me a pm or join the facebook group in the first post, im a uk Schumacher driver, been running gt12 for 3 years now and spent last sunday testing my new gt12
Originally Posted by TrevCoult
The cars are cheaper, the tires last longer, they are better for beginners to racing, and they look and handle great! That's a start.

By the way I race 12th scale too, so I don't favour one over the other.

Trev
Couldn't help but notice you both are admins listed on one of the groups in the first post and you both represent companies who make cars for this class. So it would seem to me that you do have somewhat an interest in growing this class.

BTW, I don't care at all if this class survives or dies in all honesty. My interest will remain in the 1/12th class that has over 3 decades of history. If this class brings new drivers (which I think it does, which is awesome) then it is welcome. If it ends up hurting than that would be bad, in my opinion.

I feel we need more new racers in all classes but we should be carefull about creating new classes.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Yet another class whose chief appeal is going slower and having more rules.
I thought that until I tried one. Then I got it.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by corallyman
Couldn't help but notice you both are admins listed on one of the groups in the first post and you both represent companies who make cars for this class. So it would seem to me that you do have somewhat an interest in growing this class.

BTW, I don't care at all if this class survives or dies in all honesty. My interest will remain in the 1/12th class that has over 3 decades of history. If this class brings new drivers (which I think it does, which is awesome) then it is welcome. If it ends up hurting than that would be bad, in my opinion.

I feel we need more new racers in all classes but we should be carefull about creating new classes.
Yes we both have an interest in GT12, but we have no need for it to grow outside of the UK, and it is now one of the most popular on road classes in the UK. We have found that the growth of GT12 in the UK has also considerably increased interest and participation in 12th scale, so much so that all 6 UK 12th scale nationals have the largest entries they have ever had. I think if that also happened in the USA that would be something good. Don't you?
Old 11-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TrevCoult
Yes we both have an interest in GT12, but we have no need for it to grow outside of the UK, and it is now one of the most popular on road classes in the UK. We have found that the growth of GT12 in the UK has also considerably increased interest and participation in 12th scale, so much so that all 6 UK 12th scale nationals have the largest entries they have ever had. I think if that also happened in the USA that would be something good. Don't you?
Ditto,

I also race off road, have raced 10th ic 8th ic on and off road, 12th, touring and have won uk nationals and national championships

Gt12 brings in an awfull lot of new racers, who many progress into 12th pan. Its been the biggest growing class in the uk the last two years and has helped many clubs survive.
They are not as slow as you may think.

Gt12 is one of the most competitive on the track and run classes I have done.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Trev,

I think your UK nationals look awesome to me, but something equal to that is not possible in the states, we are so geographically large that our nationals are single events. In my area, we had a brief discussion about GT12 cars, and at least one person up here owns one. We have a good turnout for club racing in all classes in fact we had to drop f1 and wgt at our gym series because of time constraints. I am all in favor of adding a class if it makes new people decide to race or even if it brings them back to racing, if it just redistributes one racer from one class into a different class then it doesn't really help.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Glad to see other racers find these new classes bizarre as wee
Old 11-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

http://www.zen-racing.co.uk/catalog/...a24e963efb7ec5
Old 11-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

The cost-controlled aspect of the class is pretty important... I see VTA as one of the cheaper entry-level classes in the US, but a touring car rolling chassis is easily three times as expensive as a GT12 one, and 2S batteries are almost twice the price of 1S...

Also, there are fewer set-up variables, so it's more approachable for a new driver. Being smaller, either they leave more space on the track, or allow smaller tracks to work okay (my local club is in a church hall with limited space), which makes it easier to drive.

From what I hear, the only downside is for rougher outdoor tracks, they might not work as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.