Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
back to TC. What do i want, whats happened? >

back to TC. What do i want, whats happened?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

back to TC. What do i want, whats happened?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Find a used Xray T4 14.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zspeed36
I am back to touring car's from a long break.

I used to run a pro 2 doing parking lot racing awhile back. Now I get o line to look at picking up a new TC and find all sorts of stuff I am clueless about.

Will be running on carpet, and I will not be spending 400 bucks out of the gate on a chassis.

Don't make this a he said she said bull$*** - great line from a great band from the last time I ran Onroad. (Limp bizkit for all of you youngins.) But seriously let me have some good facts here.

Need durability first and foremost!
Xray, yokomo, AE, Schumacher, etc???? As I see losi is out of on road now.
what state are you in? local track?
Old 10-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mupchu
Now is a good time because there are lots of people dumping last years models (T4, BD7, 418).
Without a doubt the best advice.

The ARC and VBC etc will scrape the budget, but you can pick up a used *just* not current chassis for well under. The bigger brands come with a bigger user group and therefore more support. Look how many carpet setups to review and learn from there are on petitrc for the bigger brands for example.

$20 for new bearings and $20-$30 for new plastics and apart from a few scuffs on the underside - which you'll have within a few runs with a NIB - you'll have a car that can compete and will be like new to drive anyway.

A Sakura or similar will just sh1t you off and will be a limiting factor to performance.

Assuming you plan to run blinky of some description and not modified should dictate your choice a bit more as well. The top Asian brands do concentrate on mod much much more don't forget. Case in example is the TRF418. Tamiya made a brilliant car for blinky carpet with a very large tuning window but have abandoned it as it doesn't work for the last few tenths in mod!!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Ahahahah........ $400 is too low to get anything else but,a tc4 or Sakura, forget about the other brands new.......... As usual, everybody hates BERT !!! LoL......
The way I see it, if you want to win, you have to either spend like crazy in an Awesomatix or a yokomo Bd7 2015.... The tc4 is still capable of winning, but you'll spend a lot more than $400 getting it there , ask Jeff .... Too many folks out there want to instantly get trophies....lol.
Ps: Novak does not make a 2.5t motor...
Originally Posted by Dan
Oh, you're new... don't listen to bert, you'll thank me. He would tell you to get a TC4 with a 2.5T Novak motor.

Anyways, a good used TC is excellent value since we are in the generation now of having to have the latest (I'm guilty of this too). X-rays tend to make great used cars since they are super durable and don't wear as fast as other cars.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

You guys should really hope I don't TQ and win anywhere.....lol...
Originally Posted by thecaptain
Unless Bert gets on here... haha.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Look into the RGT pro spec2, aka "panda express" . There are some guys running these locally and they are doing serious work with them. $300 new. It's a very capable car... if you got the skills the car can deliver.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Getting back into it.. Pick up a xray T3-'12... Should be cheap and still a great car
Old 10-28-2014, 09:59 PM
Tech Adept

Well I am listening.... Buy a used car!!

Here's my fear with an "older" chassis, what do I do about parts?
Let me put it this way- I am an avid off road racer, b5m and 22-4. I club race once-twice a week and sometimes travel for big events. When a new "version" of a car comes out and everyone dumps the old ones it's typically because parts become unavailable.

So tell me, is this not the case with on road????
Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Ive driven and owned most out except for x ray and just switched to arc....THERE ARE NOT WORDS TO DESCRIBE HOW AWESOME MY ARC is. Lol in all seriousness its a very good car for the money and quick too. If new is a must and ur minding the budget the specr pro kit is about 300 and its a pretty solid car. Just pull out ur box o shims as ur building to shim things. If i didnt get the deal i did on my arc i was gonna buy another spec r.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Let me put it this way- I am an avid off road racer, b5m and 22-4. I club race once-twice a week and sometimes travel for big events. When a new "version" of a car comes out and everyone dumps the old ones it's typically because parts become unavailable.

xray is a tank, and they are very easy to get parts for, and parts as slow to wear out; if I was to buy used it would probably be an xray. Aside from that I think yokomo and Tamiya both do well with replacement parts for older chassis. The ARC R10 is also a solid choice as well as the associated 6.2 and parts are pretty available on each . .

question is what is your local track. I would honestly lean towards what locals are running there it will make dialing it in a little easier.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Cars which release yearly updates like the xray T4'15 compared to T4'14 are about 90% similar so parts shouldn't be a problem. Even if you get a T4'14, you can update it to a T4'15 without dropping $500 for a new kit.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A used car is an option.

As is frequent with threads like these, the consensus is usually to head down to the track and see what the locals are running. That give you a chance to pick their brains and see some cars firsthand. As you can see from reading through the posts, folks have their favorites.

Many cars that are iterations of a base have interchangeable parts. E.g. the Associated TC6.2 uses some parts from previous TC6.# and the Xray T4'15 uses parts from its predecessors. Other makes/models do this as well.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I wouldn't really recommend a 6.2, quality isn't good enough compared to xray's quality; yet xray's aren't much more expensive. Also the slop in a 6.2 compared to xray's become exponentially noticeable as you go up the classes.

Originally Posted by mupchu
xray is a tank, and they are very easy to get parts for, and parts as slow to wear out; if I was to buy used it would probably be an xray. Aside from that I think yokomo and Tamiya both do well with replacement parts for older chassis. The ARC R10 is also a solid choice as well as the associated 6.2 and parts are pretty available on each . .

question is what is your local track. I would honestly lean towards what locals are running there it will make dialing it in a little easier.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Tons of Xray T4'14s going for $300 in the marketplace with upgrades, etc... Probably your best bet. Even something like a T3'12 you could probably get really cheap, but honestly, $300 for a T4'14 is such a stupid low price, it's ridiculous not to get one.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:07 AM
Tech Elite

Just because you mentioned, the BD7 RS is a very good value for money kit at about 175$ or so.

Keep in mind the full blown kit doesn't come with CVD joint driveshafts, and tally up whatever else you'd like and you're still under 400$ with a front spool and driveshafts. Everything else in the kit is enough to get you on the right path.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.