Search

ROAR Election

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 11:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC
ROAR sucks, just go away already.

Tracks are closing left and right, and ROAR doesn't do a damn thing to help out. They have nothing going to bring new people into the hobby. All they care about is having big races that the average person could never afford to run. F them.
I really like this post::
Old 11-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Everyone should remember, treat everyone else as you wish to be treated. Especially when it comes to posting on here.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
This website is too full of non-roar members to be fair to most who would have to make any decisions if the members ideas were considered. Like most organizations, there is a respected communication channel to the senior leadership.
If your statement were to be given any relative truth...
Perhaps the question any normal IQ'd person would ask...Is why, IS THE biggest RC site (prob in all of the Hobby) full of NON_ROAR Members....
Perhaps roar should attend to said non-members to increase the much needed membership base...or are they happy with status quo.
Perhaps those respected communications channels in existence just are worthless at this time.
Perhaps all the Region Directors should be looking here for thoughts, gather your own committee to gather those thoughts and design actions plans to force change thru your written path (or lack of path)
We know roar is not listening to the racer member or non-member.

I refrain from voting for Prez on this election, not worth it.....Zero change makes for zero effort from a voter.

I deem "No Confidence" status. let it crumble to rebuild. I know many won't agree with me...on the last line. sorry in advance..

Suggestion:
why doesn't roar make my membership more valuable than a freakin plastic wallet insert with a date on it.

1. They have all these manufacturer affiliates....make a rewards program (that does something worthwhile not smoke and mirrors) they have access to the communication paths, it should be freakin easy.....
2. give me value for my membership dollars...my game stop membership(14.95 per year gives me way more than this)
3. MFR & Vendors Coupons, Roar sponsored Yearly sale (via previous),etc.
4. come one guys...think a little.
5. Give the tracks a profit point for selling Roar memberships. say 20% percent (just a number thrown out). That should inject something into membership number.

** but it comes back to what does a roar membership do for me **

Last edited by olhipster1; 11-29-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olhipster1
Perhaps the question any normal IQ'd person would ask...Is why, IS THE biggest RC site (prob in all of the Hobby) full of NON_ROAR Members....
Perhaps roar should attend to said non-members to increase the much needed membership base...or are they happy with status quo.
Perhaps those respected communications channels in existence just are worthless at this time.
Perhaps all the Region Directors should be looking here for thoughts, gather your own committee to gather those thoughts and design actions plans to force change thru your written path (or lack of path)

I refrain from voting for Prez on this election, not worth it.....Zero change makes for zero effort from a voter.

I deem "No Confidence" status. let it crumble to rebuild. I know many won't agree with me...on the last line. sorry in advance..

Suggestion:
why doesn't roar make my membership more valuable than a freakin plastic wallet insert with a date on it.

1. They have all these manufacturer affiliates....make a rewards program (that does something worthwhile not smoke and mirrors) they have access to the communication paths, it should be freakin easy.....
2. give me value for my membership dollars...my game stop membership(14.95 per year gives me way more than this)
5. Give the tracks a profit point for selling Roar memberships. say 20% percent (just a number thrown out). That should inject something into membership number.

Some of the suggestions you listed have been done in a small effort in the past year actually. The promotions director (nitro540) I believe was part of getting roar members discounts through absolute hobbyz. I am sure there are more affiliates they may be able to get onboard. Tracks already do get a cut when signing up "new" members. I think this is explained in their information which is mailed to them. You are only the 2nd person to respond on this thread with a suggestion of what you expect from the $35 membership fee.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olhipster1

Suggestion:

Good post. back in the day ROAR used to send a "packet" with a hard copy rule book (still have one somewhere), member card and some stickers along with insurance info for filing a claim ( i used to keep the rule book in my pitbox for easy access to the "rules" for clarification). sure now somebody will say...look it up on your phone. not everybody has a smart phone. now all i get is a plastic card and a headache from navigating the ROAR website. Including this thread. lol. its a lot to take in. But it comes down to " What does ROAR do for me" besides a card. Not ever racer has internet access. or cares to get on the internet. Might i suggest go looking at the AMA ( Academy of model aeronautics) website and see what they do. It a pretty spiffy clean site and easy to find stuff. you can see pretty much anything you want including the stuff in the museum. financial info, member info, insurance info etc. the list of whats on there goes on and on. Maybe ROAR needs to take a look at other organizations and use some of the examples to gain membership. not just send a card. I think EVERYBODY wants something more from ROAR. not just a card.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Tech Adept

Where are these member discounts listed? I just bought a new car today. It would have been nice to know I could have possibly gotten a discount at absolute hobbyz.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by intimdator10
Where are these member discounts listed? I just bought a new car today. It would have been nice to know I could have possibly gotten a discount at absolute hobbyz.
See here for absolute hobbyz info http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...light=Absolute

Also logging into the members area of the roar website has a discount area too. Only one other item there for hertz rental cars. See here: http://www.roarracing.com/member/

They probably should also post the absolute hobbyz info there also.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonracing
Good post. back in the day ROAR used to send a "packet" with a hard copy rule book (still have one somewhere), member card and some stickers along with insurance info for filing a claim ( i used to keep the rule book in my pitbox for easy access to the "rules" for clarification). sure now somebody will say...look it up on your phone. not everybody has a smart phone. now all i get is a plastic card and a headache from navigating the ROAR website. Including this thread. lol. its a lot to take in. But it comes down to " What does ROAR do for me" besides a card. Not ever racer has internet access. or cares to get on the internet. Might i suggest go looking at the AMA ( Academy of model aeronautics) website and see what they do. It a pretty spiffy clean site and easy to find stuff. you can see pretty much anything you want including the stuff in the museum. financial info, member info, insurance info etc. the list of whats on there goes on and on. Maybe ROAR needs to take a look at other organizations and use some of the examples to gain membership. not just send a card. I think EVERYBODY wants something more from ROAR. not just a card.
Yeah, buddy. All of what you said. Having to lay out an additional $10 for a sticker just doesn't pass the sanity test after buying annual membership. So I have no ROAR stickers displayed anywhere. And having to print off a rules page to carry out to the shop to check compliance sucks too. Having a hard copy rules set like in previous years would sure be nice again.

I'd much rather post member specifics like this to the ROAR forum, but there is never much there. So guess this is the only alternative. Facebook is a no-go for me, so having a ROAR site there is of no use to me.

Last edited by AHR43; 11-30-2014 at 05:35 AM. Reason: addl para
Old 11-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

AHR43, why not post in the ROAR forum? What do you have to lose? Trust me, somebody will read it.

A myth that has to be busted is that RC Tech is where everybody in RC racing goes to get information. Not even close. First, anybody notice there's no oval information on this site? that's because all the oval guys are on HobbyTalk. Yes, there is another RC related forum. Imagine that.

I also know of many racers that will read RC Tech, but never post. So there are a great many opinions out there that are never expressed. Most people who use RC Tech are only interested in their particular area to see where the next trophy race is.

Another myth: Yes, the most popular form of RC racing is off road, but most ROAR members race nitro on road. Why? Because the nitro on road guys are the ones who need the insurance. There are very few commercial RC nitro tracks. Most of them are club run either on municipal property (like a park) or lease an area from someone else. For them the easiest way to go is through ROAR.

Comparing ROAR to the AMA: Too many differences to list. First, the number of members. ROAR has what, about five thousand? AMA has nearly fifty thousand! And dues, ROAR is $25, AMA is $58. Second, participation. You could race your entire career and never join ROAR. You can't go to a flying field without being AMA, they will throw you out. And one more stat: Between 90 and 95 percent of AMA members will never enter an AMA contest.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Next topic, let's get rid of ROAR.

Okay fair enough. For as long as I've been racing (20 years) there's always been something wrong with ROAR. So it's not like this hasn't been considered.

So, no ROAR. Now what? Who is going to organize the new club? Who is going to write the by-laws? What are the rules going to be? Who is going to make sure all the rules are followed. What will the penalties be if someone breaks those rules?

I'd like to give 2 examples. The first is NORRCA (I think that was the acronym). This was a real attempt at an organization to compete with ROAR. At first they did pretty well. Eventually they had to make decisions that weren't popular with some racers. The accusations started, the rumors persisted, and it collapsed under it's own weight. In the end the organizers couldn't put up with the BS that started and just dropped it.

The second is USVTA. This is a couple of guys who got tired of the touring car of the week club and started their own rules with slower motors and bodies that looked more like real cars. The rules were simple, spec tires, an approved body list of Trans Am cars from the 60's and 70's, and in the beginning stock motors. Currently the rules are lipo batters with a max of 5000 mah, and Novak 25.5 motors. Just this year they opened up the speedo's to any ROAR approved blinky speedo. USVTA is a very strong class, but if you go into their thread on this forum, you will see people complaining about the motor or battery rules. The organizers have stayed the course, and have told people if you don't like it, race something else. USVTA is strong because they stay with what works.

ROAR could never follow USVTA's example, because it requires too many restrictions. Just imagine the screaming if 17.5 was restricted to one manufacturer.

Starting from scratch would be like trying to re-invent the wheel. It's not worth the trouble, and we have something to start with. Let's get together and work with what we have.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

I don't think most of the people posting on here want to get rid of ROAR. We just want it fixed.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Congratulations Steve Mruk
Old 12-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Homer Allman
Congratulations Steve Mruk
+1. Congrats as well to the re-election of the standing ROAR president. And to the even number region winners as well.

Homer, see you came second in voting Region 2. Thanks for stepping up and giving it a try.

To all those clamoring for change, a re-cap of the vote shows only 8.1% of the membership cast a vote in the final results. If change is what is wanted, more than 1-in-12 needs to vote.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

Cool

Originally Posted by AHR43
+1. Congrats as well to the re-election of the standing ROAR president. And to the even number region winners as well.

Homer, see you came second in voting Region 2. Thanks for stepping up and giving it a try.

To all those clamoring for change, a re-cap of the vote shows only 8.1% of the membership cast a vote in the final results. If change is what is wanted, more than 1-in-12 needs to vote.
Well I did! Due to the circumstance surrounding this election, I think my vote went to the trash?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

zZzzzz

Can we unsticky yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.