Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you build it, will they come?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The other thing is if you have that big of a space you should be offering indoor drone racing. It wouldn't require re arranging the tracks, but should offer another revenue stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgTLNfkxXOI
Old 04-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
The other thing is if you have that big of a space you should be offering indoor drone racing. It wouldn't require re arranging the tracks, but should offer another revenue stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgTLNfkxXOI
Yep...and your liability insurance rates just doubled.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

And the number of people through the door would probably double too.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Tech Addict

And the number of people through the door would probably double too.
Hmmm, I wonder about that. I'm a pretty experienced airplane and heli flyer, but not sure *I* could get a drone through those gates without a lot of practice. I've flown quads, FPV and non-FPV view. It's not easy.

The buy-in for FPV drone racing isn't cheap either. I've been following the growth of drone racing and it is definitely a niche portion of the model aviation hobby. And racing those little suckers is a LOT harder than the videos make it out to be.

But interesting idea.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You can significantly cut down on your pit spaces. How many spaces would you need for a club race? 50? You already have 20 private spaces that should hold 2-4 racers anyway.

If you have 2 tracks in the building, you can cover the unused track and pit on it for events with folding tables or make it b.y.o. table.

Saving 40-50 pit spots, besides the floor space, saves that much money spent on wood, chairs, electrical material, etc.
All folding/stacking chairs and tables. The electrical facilities would drop from the ceiling and lower to the table top. The permanent pits would have some vacancy. It's more about the potential to host a 200 driver event, but expect 50 to 100 on a race night.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

FPV Drone racing from behind a Plexiglas observation wall with nets overhead toprotect the pit and spectators. Most of the obstacles would be rafter hung on pulleys and weighted at the floor or wall mounted on pipes to slide and hinged over most of the track area. It's all part of the plan.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
FPV Drone racing from behind a Plexiglas observation wall with nets overhead toprotect the pit and spectators. Most of the obstacles would be rafter hung on pulleys and weighted at the floor or wall mounted on pipes to slide and hinged over most of the track area. It's all part of the plan.
Cool. I'd be interested in the projected pro-forma income statement, particularly the Drone racing projections. Will the demographics support it?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by scirocco14
I like how you think!

The hard part will be to get people to part with their investment $$$ w/o expecting returns.

I'm doing a lot of the same planning, and searching for a building and facility to house indoor carpet tracks. At the end of the day, it keeps feeling to me that if I do this, it'll be like another job for me. I like being retired and don't have much interest in getting back to a 24/7 type of job just so other people can play with toys cars. And lose money doing it.

Good luck and keep dreaming big!
Thanks! I'll do just that.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by scirocco14
Cool. I'd be interested in the projected pro-forma income statement, particularly the Drone racing projections. Will the demographics support it?
There is a huge interest in drones locally, but no racing venue to compare it to. The location of this RC Heaven is located between Madison and Milwaukee, WI. It is within 2 hours of Chicago and Green Bay, so there is a potential pool of hobbyists in this region. In reality, they would get one day a week to practice and race to keep the tracks running as much as possible. Potentially the changeover time would be the biggest factor to multiple days: How long to pull the net curtain, drop the gates and wheel the viewing wall in place? I'll have to see if I can find any projections for indoor flying venues to base mine off of honestly. If this is the first one, I'll be at a loss. Might be a huge money maker in replacement propellers.

I can always rent it as a hall and allow a catering service to work with me for outside and community events during the slow indoor seasons.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:32 PM
Tech Initiate

HAHA this tread is very fascinating but if any of this was easy RC tracks would be all over the place.

I think the other problem that new tracks can run into is the fact that the racers get excited for a new track but then get burned out from doing it too much. It's hard to walk the fine line between supply and demand with a commodity like a race track. You have to be open to make money but then your customers can become disenfranchised when you are not able to keep the product "fresh". Is it then a product of you not being able to keep people interested or the natural sense of familiarity breeding contempt?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kidspeed

I think the other problem that new tracks can run into is the fact that the racers get excited for a new track but then get burned out from doing it too much. It's hard to walk the fine line between supply and demand with a commodity like a race track. You have to be open to make money but then your customers can become disenfranchised when you are not able to keep the product "fresh". Is it then a product of you not being able to keep people interested or the natural sense of familiarity breeding contempt?
There is so much truth to this point. And should not be ignored if you want to make an informed decision.

This hobby at the racing level is completely esoteric at best and hard to get new blood involved and stay involved. Flying fields, Tracks, brick and mortar LHS are dying concepts. I was involved in getting together a very nice Onroad track in one if not the wealthiest market place in the US. Nothing last forever or for as long as you would like. The shop affiliated with the track is still alive. The track is gone. Onroad is dead in comparison to its heyday. Offroad peaked and is slowly drying up. There are too many other options for those that are potential racers. Those are the realities no matter how much I hate seeing it.

Remember it takes a BIG pile of money to make a very small one. I hope you guys can formulate something that works.